Fightly green cheek

southern_feathers

Aug 2, 2011
Morgan City, LA
Parrots
green cheecked conure - Pitri
Flighty green cheek

I have recently gotten a new green cheeked conure and it is an extremely flighty bird. It is supposed to be a hand fed bird but anytime a get close he flutters right off his perch onto the ground. I owned a green cheek in the past, I hand fed it the final week myself, and never had any problems like this. I worked in pet stores for several years with handfed green cheeks and none were like this. He does this to both my fiance and myself but he seems to prefer her more once we have finally got a handle on him. We have had him about a month and it has only gotten worse. Anyone with any tips or ideas?

Last edited:

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Lovebirds- Mango, Spyros, Ele, Aonani
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
Did you buy him from the breeder? It's very common if the bird is over the exact age of weaning that the breeder stopped handling him until he was sold. It can cause the bird to revert back to an "un-tame" stage. If you did buy him from the breeder I would ask at what age he was finished weaning and his exact age now. Voice your concerns! It's the breeders job to provide a quality chick. I just recently visited a client to help them learn about handling a chick I sold them.

If not, I would suggest persistence. Show him that being with you is fun! When he goes to the ground get down there with him, offer millet and toys and ask him to step up. Keep trying! It's the key.

OP
southern_feathers

southern_feathers

Aug 2, 2011
Morgan City, LA
Parrots
Yes. I did buy him straight from the breeder. Unfortunately I do not have the ability to get back in contact with that breeder. I bought him at a show a good ways out of town and I have lost the breeders card. Convenient right?
What about out of cage time. Both my birds get about 5-6 hours out of cage time a day. Should I maybe start limiting his to the time he is with me and not just by himself playing outside the cage?

Garnet

May 27, 2011
Media
Silver Springs, Florida
Parrots
5 Green Cheek Conures; 1 Blackcapped Conure; 2 Sun Conures; 3 Cockatiel; 1 Quaker; 1 Whitecapped Pionus; 2 Peach Fronted Conures; 1 parakeet
I wouldn't limit his time out of the cage while the others are out. Allow him to play and interact with the rest of your flock, they will sometimes take their cue from how the other birds in their flock react to you. When you have a flightly bird it is most likely the breeder weaned the bird, then put it in a cage until it was sold without continuing to socialize the bird and it can be hard to overcome. Patience is the key and I agree with the previous poster, if he flies to the ground, get on his level and offer treats and toys to entice him to want contact. Talk to him alot, even when he is in his cage and make sure you try to handle him everyday. Don't start and stop start and stop, it takes consistent effort, but it will be well worth it when he gladly steps up on your hand. Good luck, I know it isn't easy, but it can be accomplished.

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Lovebirds- Mango, Spyros, Ele, Aonani
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
I am sketchy about buying birds at shows. I bought one of my breeder Lovebirds there and he was hand-raised then left. He didn't remember how to step up, was afraid of hands, wouldn't take anything from our hands. He is much better now, but never at the level of my normal hand-raised chicks that haven't ceased interaction. But at the same time I was 100% aware of that and was ok with it, he's a great father and he's a very sweet bird. I just don't agree with falsely selling birds like that to unsuspecting owners who want a pet.

OP
southern_feathers

southern_feathers

Aug 2, 2011
Morgan City, LA
Parrots
It appears we have made some progress with Petrie on this issue. He spent quite a while outside the cage with me today washing dishes and doinng other things. He decided he would groom me today (something he normally won't do), he gave kisses, and took a bit of carrot from me. Above all he stepped up without running or "flying" off his playtop. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts