Conure regurgitation??

Vic Faust

Sep 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure, Parakeets
Hello! I am new here and I am seeking some advice.
We recently got a conure baby - he is a bit over three months old now. We had him for a bit over a month now.
I think he has started his first molt which has been quite hard on him.
The problem started recently where he seems to be regurgitating food.
He does not seem to have any other symptoms or ailments.
We have been letting him interact with the older budgies we have which could potentially cause him to be overexcited? And that could cause regurgitation?

If anyone has any input I would really really appreciate it.

Thank you :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello! I am new here and I am seeking some advice.
We recently got a conure baby - he is a bit over three months old now. We had him for a bit over a month now.
I think he has started his first molt which has been quite hard on him.
The problem started recently where he seems to be regurgitating food.
He does not seem to have any other symptoms or ailments.
We have been letting him interact with the older budgies we have which could potentially cause him to be overexcited? And that could cause regurgitation?

If anyone has any input I would really really appreciate it.

Thank you :)
I agree with @Owlet, your conure does sound a bit too young to be moulting just yet. I would be more concerned that it's vomiting at this point to be honest. The motion that accompanies regurgitating is generally a bobbing up and down of the head, whereas with vomiting they tend to throw their head more from side to side to fling that stuff as far away from them as possible, and often some will get stuck to the head or body in the process. If you haven't had your little one checked for wellness yet by an avian vet it might be a good idea to have it done. I'm not sure where you're located, but just in case you don't already have an avian vet the following list may help you to locate one...

Hope this is of some help to your and your baby, and i wish you the best of luck! šŸ™

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I agree with @Owlet, your conure does sound a bit too young to be moulting just yet. I would be more concerned that it's vomiting at this point to be honest. The motion that accompanies regurgitating is generally a bobbing up and down of the head, whereas with vomiting they tend to throw their head more from side to side to fling that stuff as far away from them as possible, and often some will get stuck to the head or body in the process. If you haven't had your little one checked for wellness yet by an avian vet it might be a good idea to have it done. I'm not sure where you're located, but just in case you don't already have an avian vet the following list may help you to locate one...

Hope this is of some help to your and your baby, and i wish you the best of luck! šŸ™
I know this sounds "too logical" but the best thing to do whenever you think your bird might be sick or not normal in any way is to take him to an avian vet ASAP. Any delay could cost a sick bird its life. Establishing a good relationship with an avian vet early on is critical to the long term health of your bird. I realize that not everyone has easy access, or ANY access to a certified avian vet. Here in Maine it's difficult and for anything really serious I need to drive to Angel Memorial Animal Hospital in Boston almost three hours away. In some countries there simply are no avian vets. A dog-cat vet that also sees birds with some regularity is better than nothing. Easy access to great avian vets is about the only thing I miss about living in the Los Angeles area for 25 years.

OP
V

Vic Faust

Sep 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure, Parakeets
I will look into vets within my area, thank you.
He seems to bob his head up and down rather than side to side, I've only ever seen him cough up food twice.
I'm not sure if molting is the right word then.. He's not so much losing feathers as he is growing new ones and he has a lot of pin feathers (in the casing).
I'm not 100% sure of the age. When we were first looking at the bird at the start of July, the person who had him was still giving him formula but said he was almost off it, so I think he was about a couple months old at that point? So maybe he's more like 5-6 months old at this point. I will double check.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I have a sun conure who does do the motion of regurgitation (mating behavior). He does get very excited when someone talks to him, and will bob his head (it looks like heā€™s nodding his head yes). Iā€™ve never seen him actually regurgitate anything though. Itā€™s just a gesture at this point. He molts twice a year, but he is 2 1/2 years old. I highly doubt a 3 month old baby conure will be behaving this way as someone stated above. A 3 month old wouldnā€™t be mature enough to be molting, and to be exhibiting mating behavior.

Are you still hand feeding your conure formula? Is it a possibility that you are feeding too much? I concur with the above about contacting a vet.

OP
V

Vic Faust

Sep 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure, Parakeets
I think he is a bit older than what I originally thought, so probably around 6 months - still a bit young for mating behaviours as far as I understand.
He's been on a solid food diet, and has been since before we actually brought him so I don't think we are overfeeding him? (to clarify, the breeder was the one to wean him, and told us what food to use for him)
Is there a possibility that he could just be eating too much in general? He eats a good chunk of food + fruits and veggies we offer him.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)

This is my hyper sexual male Ekkie. Here he is regurgitating. He does this all over his stands, and practically daily so it isnā€™t hard for me to capture.

A parrot puking Iā€™ve never seen in person. If your parrot is puking you need to get him to a vet.

Most Reactions