Banned
Banned
Sep 26, 2013
Honolulu
Parrots
2 Budgies!
*Who hate people
Happy late New Years!
Anyways, so I'm a Lion Dancer and was in Chinatown a few weeks back. While there, I saw a man with a pionus (i believe) in the direction of MANY heavy (old style) fireworks.
Would you think the smoke could seriously hurt his respiratory/hearing?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I wouldn't worry as a one time thing, but every day would be a different story. Though you know they have delicate respiratory systems, I wouldn't think any lasting damage would happen on this one day. Hopefully he doesn't endure bad air quality on a daily basis, then he'd possibly have a shorter life span.

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I would worry! We recently had a very small, very brief house fire. In the few seconds it took to put the fire out, I managed to inhale enough smoke and fire suppressant to give me a great dose of asthma these three weeks and still counting! My bird, Dommie, was not three feet from the fire and he got a faceful of the fumes as well. He spent the rest of that day coughing and sneezing at intervals, so I know the smoke bothered him. Those firecrackers are not just wood smoke: they contain gunpowder and accelerants and chemicals! The fallout can be very heavy and, if you're asthmatic like me, can be really troublesome. Birds are famous for having sensitive respiratory systems, so I would never subject mine to fireworks.

NB. Being scrupulously honest here: I just hate fireworks. They serve no useful purpose and do more damage to the environment and innocent animals than they are worth. But that's just my opinion. Thought I'd better qualify what I said by stating it here. :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Ohh! Trish! I'm so glad everyone is okay! I bet that was downright scary :eek: I wasn't imagining the firework smoke was anywhere near as thick as that, but then again I wasn't there. I would think that what your Dominic went through (inhaling such a high concentration at such close range) would be enough to kill a bird. Thank goodness Dominic is okay!!

I hope you recover ASAP yourself :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts