First eclectus make or female?

Blue_star

Dec 16, 2011
I am looking to get an eclectus parrot in the next year or so and have been doing some research. I already have 2 green cheek conures that I dearly love but want to add an eclectus to my home. I am trying to decide on make or female. Does one have a tendency to talk more than the other? Also what is the likelihood that my new eclectus and my conures will get along?

BarkleyLoves

Jul 23, 2012
TX
Parrots
Barkley (4yo Eclectus)----
Pepper (7yo White-Capped Pionus)
I'm new so I can't offer any advice. But I do have a male Ecclectus and sometimes his hormones get going. (re: trying to mate with females or reguritating food into my mom's mouth) lol. But he is a sweetie pie.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
It depends on your lifestyle. Male eclectus perfer quieter homes with more of a routine. Females can tolerate a noisier household than the males. Both talk exceptionally well and I would rank them right up there with the African Grey parrots.

The few and I mean few that I have been around, don't care for other birds especially small annoying one's like Conures, Cockatiels and Senegals. Mac will not even tolerate Tiki my Senegal. He will try and peck at her any time they are close together. So I have to interact with them seperately. I'm not saying you couldn't make it work, but just from what I have seen, they like to be loners.

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
I have a rambunctious house, it is never quiet only when its sleep time, I have a female, they do talk well and learn very quick, I do believe Gitana will copy my middle girl faster than anyone on words..and my son on mocking noises farts, laughs and burps thats probably because him and his pals laugh so hard at her...

I will not say she likes or dislikes my sun conure she is very new to the house maybe 2 months here if that and they are housed in different rooms, only in the day does screech get to come to the livingroom..I am trying to let them see one another now. She does sit on the coffee table with him in the AM while i am cleaning the livingroom , he will dance to the music i am playing and she now sways a bit..I also let them eat close by now so the conure eats his morning meal on top of her cage while she is in her cage eating.

right now my 15 year old girl is playing dance dance revolution and the conure is dancing bobbing his head and the eclectus is just watchin and saying whatcha doing over and over.

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
I have a male, and he is fine in our rowdy household, though he is not rowdy or outgoing himself, he loves cuddling and training but will often stop talking if he realizes we are listening to him. He mimics all sorts of sounds and his talking toys extremely well - but not much that we say - probably with the amount of people in our house we just havent achieved enough consistency with phrases and tones-of-voice. And though he is nice to everyone he definetly has favorite humans: me (and my mum when I'm not there). And will rarely cuddle as much with anyone else... I don't really have any experience with girls, but hopefully someone else can help there. Either way both would make a great companion :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts