Flight and Clipping

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
From everything I have read, and what my vet has told me, birds are more emotionally healthly if they are not clipped. When I got Bob he was clipped, but I am not going to continue the practice with him.

I am a little nervous about this as he already seems to be a rather impressive flier; he has flown across my home gaining altitude, and will take off for my shoulder when on my finger and my hand is over his wings trying to prevent significant movement; especially flight.

He is a good, lovable and silly bird... I just wish he was a bit more accomidating to my wishes. Oh well, I love him even as he poops on my shoulder.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Being nervous will keep you on your toes. Flighted birds are scary, aggravating & scary. Work w/him now w/recall training, & completely bird proof your house. We try to keep a 2 door min between Merlin & the outside. Did I mention scary!!! My brother in law came by today. Being a in-law, he didnt bother to knock. Merlin was sitting in the kitchen w/me, the dog started barking & Merlin swooped towards the door. I really thought he was gone. I had just came back from grocery store & hadn't shut the door to the room w/the entrance door. I usually lock all my doors because of this very thing, but I still had things in the car. He didnt get out, but it was a close thing. Be prepared for this kind of heart stopping action or clip.

OP
S

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
As I understand things he is not supposed to be fully flighted yet, but I will try to start keeping the screen door in the back closed. The front door is pretty much always locked, and rarely used; unfortunately it doesn't have a screen.

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Being nervous will keep you on your toes. Flighted birds are scary, aggravating & scary. Work w/him now w/recall training, & completely bird proof your house. We try to keep a 2 door min between Merlin & the outside. Did I mention scary!!! My brother in law came by today. Being a in-law, he didnt bother to knock. Merlin was sitting in the kitchen w/me, the dog started barking & Merlin swooped towards the door. I really thought he was gone. I had just came back from grocery store & hadn't shut the door to the room w/the entrance door. I usually lock all my doors because of this very thing, but I still had things in the car. He didnt get out, but it was a close thing. Be prepared for this kind of heart stopping action or clip.

I lost my very first cockatiel because he was unclipped and flew to me as I was walking out the door to pick my kids up from school. It was a total freak thing and sadly I never got him back. It took me 5 years before I decided I wanted another 'tiel and now I have 2 and a Conure...LOL!

All of our birds were clipped when we bought them as well.

I was debating the issue as well, to clip or not to clip all the while Chiquita's wings were growing out and one day she flew off me, I couldn't believe how she took off, I think it even startled her and she hit our bedroom window nearly knocking herself out...I freaked (Chaco NEVER did that!) and immediately clipped her so she couldn't fly THAT good.

Our male tiel Chicken Little, he's grown out good enough to fly off his cage to us, or he'll fly back to his cage when he wants to go to bed, but he hasn't yet pulled the stunt Chiquita pulled, and Franklin our conure...he's more interested in climbing and walking everywhere, so I'll see how it goes with him.

I prefer how birds look - unclipped - but after loosing a bird due to being "au natural" I'm absolutely willing to keep 'em trimmed. :)

My heart was desperately broken after loosing Chaco.

Toni

Most Reactions