Flying! should we clip?

MrSquak

Feb 14, 2012
GuangZhou China - Hong Kong
Parrots
Tango: Alexandrine
Talon: congo african grey
Our little alexandrine has figured out how to fly! He never flew before today and now just did a circle around our living room. However this bringing up the questions of whether we should clip him or not.

My fiance and I are both americans living in Guangzhou, China and we're not exactly thrilled by the veterinary standards here so theres some concern about getting him clipped from a health standpoint. Is it very difficult to clip wing feathers and could you seriously hurt a bird if you did it poorly?

We love our little guy but he's already big enough to knock things over and our living room has lots of things he could hurt himself on (including flying into a wall)

Any advice?:rainbow1:

PS. He's only about 9-10 weeks old

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
look it up on net, but best to do it early if you decide to? so your bird will not miss flying

clipping is personal to everyone that has a bird, my nut is fully flighted and my main fear is she will one day fly out the house an perish in the wild, but she is a very able flyer, and like any child will fly off if she thinks she is in trouble or does not want to go to bed etc

i would love to clip the nut over summer so she can spend time outside with us etc, but i feel it'll be like breaking a dogs legs so it didn't run off, and that nut would never forgive me

she is currently making little cute sounds on my lap :)

keep us update on what you decide, if you decide not to, just bird proof your rooms for now, as your little baby will get better at flying

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
No one can really advice you on this... It has to be your own choice... I can only say that I have Codie my YC Zon lightly clipped as she is a very strong flier and was crashing into Windows, doors walls etc... She can still fly at a certain height and then glides down to the floor... This for me took the worry from her getting seriously hurt :)

Most Reactions