Fractured Spine

OP
SennieSlave

SennieSlave

Dec 8, 2013
UK
Parrots
Senegal
Can you start a crowd sourcing fund drive for the surgery?

Thank you for thinking of that - but the vet said he doesn't think he'd make it through surgery. He said he wouldn't do it anyway but the only vet he knows in the UK who has done this before - it has been on much bigger birds.
Plus, I have insurance. I have to borrow the money to pay first but then hopefully I'll get most of it back.

OP
SennieSlave

SennieSlave

Dec 8, 2013
UK
Parrots
Senegal
How is the little one doing today?

Thank you. He's back on the antibiotics today and the antifungals and he's a little more sleepy. Also not eating as much as yesterday, when he was off them. I'm hoping he doesn't vomit tonight again, like when he was on them before.

He has yelled at me today - the loudest in over a week (but nowhere near his usual standard). I've also had a couple of soft bites because I've been trying to help him get up, when he's wanted to do it himself. He's been very stubborn today and it's been hard to keep him still. I've been grumbled at a bit.

He also tried to have a little dance - and that worried me, so I stopped singing to him.

His breathing is still a bit labored, with a slight tail bob after exertion - no open mouth breathing though. The vet says this is because of his bent back and the pain. I'm hoping that's all it is but I'm ultra paranoid. :/

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
More hugs for you!!!! And soft, little love scritches for your BIG fighter Ri!!!

We're all rooting for him over here, every last one of us! :)

OP
SennieSlave

SennieSlave

Dec 8, 2013
UK
Parrots
Senegal
More hugs for you!!!! And soft, little love scritches for your BIG fighter Ri!!!

We're all rooting for him over here, every last one of us! :)

Thank you so much.
Everyone on the forums I'm on are so supportive. I've felt so scared that I'm getting it wrong - and you have all been such a comfort and reassurance for both me and Ri. :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Well, if he's dancing, I would take that as a VERY good sign! A worsening bird wouldn't be dancing and screeching at you again:) So glad Ri is starting to come around, and I hope you can keep him still so he can heal! What a little fighter.

OP
SennieSlave

SennieSlave

Dec 8, 2013
UK
Parrots
Senegal
Well, if he's dancing, I would take that as a VERY good sign! A worsening bird wouldn't be dancing and screeching at you again:) So glad Ri is starting to come around, and I hope you can keep him still so he can heal! What a little fighter.

Thank you - yes the keeping him still bit is tricky - I have to keep distracting him. He's grumbling at me because I won't let him do too much, bless him.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Okay, I've gone back through the thread, but you've never said how she got the fracture. Did she owe money to the wrong people?

OP
SennieSlave

SennieSlave

Dec 8, 2013
UK
Parrots
Senegal
Okay, I've gone back through the thread, but you've never said how she got the fracture. Did she owe money to the wrong people?

It's a continuation from the "Something's Wrong" thread.

Me misjudging the situation basically - new neighbours moving in and lots of noise. One big bang on the dividing wall and he startled and flew into the wall/mirror and then fell back onto the clock. The vet said it wasn't so much the force he hit - more so the angle.

I should have had him in his cage, whilst there were new noises going on but he's not usually bothered by anything like that. I have to live with that guilt now.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I should have had him in his cage, whilst there were new noises going on but he's not usually bothered by anything like that. I have to live with that guilt now.

We walk such a fine line with our avians; trying to enrich their lives with activities and freedom from the cage yet balancing that with the need for safety. Letting Ri fly at that time seemed reasonable given past behavior. I would feel equally guilty given the event, but know you are following the most noble course to effect recovery with the highest of effort. Ri shares your love and has such a strong constitution!

How is he doing today?

OP
SennieSlave

SennieSlave

Dec 8, 2013
UK
Parrots
Senegal

We walk such a fine line with our avians; trying to enrich their lives with activities and freedom from the cage yet balancing that with the need for safety. Letting Ri fly at that time seemed reasonable given past behavior. I would feel equally guilty given the event, but know you are following the most noble course to effect recovery with the highest of effort. Ri shares your love and has such a strong constitution!

How is he doing today?

Thank you Scott.

He's a little feisty today and is frustrated that I'm not letting him do what he wants. I stopped him bathing in his water bowl earlier (he thrashes around too much) and he had a yell at me. He's getting a bit louder but nowhere near the volume he used to be. I'm worried about his voice change and his breathing is still labored but not as much. Aspergillosis is a concern, being as he's had a trauma. I'm hoping the voice change and breathing are just to do with the pain and not an infection setting in.

He's lost 3g since yesterday but I think that's the meds putting him off his food. He's been eating well today though, so shall see how he is tomorrow and, if need be, shall mix him up some recovery formula.

Going to go back to the vet tomorrow, instead of Tuesday.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Sounds like Ri is making progress through a complex recovery. Wonder if there are any behaviors you can introduce that would be enjoyable but not physically reactive? The feistiness he exhibits can be frustrating but is what's keeping him going!

Perhaps the vet will do some basic blood work to determine whether infection is present? Hopefully he can better assess Ri's road to recovery given the time after his initial injury.

OP
SennieSlave

SennieSlave

Dec 8, 2013
UK
Parrots
Senegal
Sounds like Ri is making progress through a complex recovery. Wonder if there are any behaviors you can introduce that would be enjoyable but not physically reactive? The feistiness he exhibits can be frustrating but is what's keeping him going!

Perhaps the vet will do some basic blood work to determine whether infection is present? Hopefully he can better assess Ri's road to recovery given the time after his initial injury.

The vet always uses a whiff of gas to do blood work and I'm concerned, after he nearly didn't make it through that last week. I'll definitely ask tomorrow though.

I'm still singing to him and just stopping, when he's trying to dance. He has lots of foot toys and has been having a little chew on those.

His feistiness is amazing. That over zealous spirit which sometimes drove me crazy - is what is keeping him going. I'm completely in awe of him.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

The vet always uses a whiff of gas to do blood work and I'm concerned, after he nearly didn't make it through that last week. I'll definitely ask tomorrow though.

His feistiness is amazing. That over zealous spirit which sometimes drove me crazy - is what is keeping him going. I'm completely in awe of him.

If the mildest of sedation to capture blood causes such distress perhaps Ri is better off without invasive testing unless the vet makes a compelling case for lab work. You and Ri have come so far it is important to carefully consider every action.

The ability for a parrot to so inspire is what makes them such treasured companions! You are so fortunate to have each other!

OP
SennieSlave

SennieSlave

Dec 8, 2013
UK
Parrots
Senegal

If the mildest of sedation to capture blood causes such distress perhaps Ri is better off without invasive testing unless the vet makes a compelling case for lab work. You and Ri have come so far it is important to carefully consider every action.

The ability for a parrot to so inspire is what makes them such treasured companions! You are so fortunate to have each other!

Thanks Scott - yes I'll feel better holding off on any sedations, until his breathing is right again.

I do feel fortunate. He has saved my life so many times, when I haven't wanted to carry on because of my own illness (MS) but have had to because of him. He's what I get up in the morning for. He's truly my best friend and I'd be lost without him (and wouldn't have a clue what to do with my left shoulder).

Right, bed for me and then off to vet tomorrow afternoon. A bit scared but hoping he'll see the improvement and be a bit more hopeful than last week.

Lafalidle

Nov 11, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
1 on its way. Its a baby. Dont know yet if boy or girl.
Thais brought me to tears. I will pray for you, to help guide you through this nd for Ri to not be in pain and get better

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm glad to hear Ri had a better day and is actually feeling a little feisty and even a little argumentative.

Your special bond with Ri is very touching, thank you for giving us the opportunity to know you both a bit better.

The vet was probably surprised that Ri survived the accident at all. I'm sure after the initial examination, he didn't want to give you false hope. I don't think Ri is concerned with statistics. Love and loyalty are very powerful. I believe Ri still has lots of plans for bright futures for the two of you.

I'm hoping for the best possible outcome and waiting for your update.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I do feel fortunate. He has saved my life so many times, when I haven't wanted to carry on because of my own illness (MS) but have had to because of him. He's what I get up in the morning for. He's truly my best friend and I'd be lost without him (and wouldn't have a clue what to do with my left shoulder).

Ri is a "therapy animal" in the truest sense. Does this concept exist in the UK?
Many think of therapy animals exclusively in the 4-legged realm, but the nature of bond is most important and they are highly revered. I hope the vet is aware of this and utilizes every element of his training and experience to help Ri recover. Has anyone reached out to veterinary colleges and research facilities for case studies that may prove helpful?

I hope you both have a great visit!

Last edited:
OP
SennieSlave

SennieSlave

Dec 8, 2013
UK
Parrots
Senegal
Thais brought me to tears. I will pray for you, to help guide you through this nd for Ri to not be in pain and get better

Bless you, thank you so much - it's appreciated.

I'm glad to hear Ri had a better day and is actually feeling a little feisty and even a little argumentative.

Your special bond with Ri is very touching, thank you for giving us the opportunity to know you both a bit better.

The vet was probably surprised that Ri survived the accident at all. I'm sure after the initial examination, he didn't want to give you false hope. I don't think Ri is concerned with statistics. Love and loyalty are very powerful. I believe Ri still has lots of plans for bright futures for the two of you.

I'm hoping for the best possible outcome and waiting for your update.

Thank you. Yes, the vet was very cautious being as he's never seen anything like it. Hopefully he will be a little more optimistic when we see him later.

Ri is a "therapy animal" in the truest sense. Does this concept exist in the UK?
Many think of therapy animals exclusively in the 4-legged realm, but the nature of bond is most important and they are highly revered. I hope the vet is aware of this and utilizes every element of his training and experience to help Ri recover. Has anyone reached out to veterinary colleges and research facilities for case studies that may prove helpful?

I hope you both have a great visit!

Yes we have therapy animals but they're usually cats and dogs. My vet does know that Ri is pretty much all I have and is my world - I think that's why he let him come home with me, rather than keep him in. He knows how bonded we are and said it would stress him out too much if kept away from me.

I'll ask him today if he knows of anyone to contact about case studies. Thank you.

Well, Ri was down another 1g this morning, which is worrying me. I could understand it if he wasn't eating as much still - but he was eating like a pig yesterday. Aspergillosis is still in my mind so need to talk to the vet about that today. Shall update when I get back.

OP
SennieSlave

SennieSlave

Dec 8, 2013
UK
Parrots
Senegal
Quick update -

Just got back from the vets and he's pleased with how Ri is doing. He said he thinks we're over the worst but it's down to one day at a time really.

If there is any Aspergillosis (or other infection) brought on by shock and stress - then he's having the meds that he would have had for that anyway. He can't do any tests but said the meds should help, just in case. He wants him to take the meds for another week (so that will be about a fortnight for Baytril and Itrafungol and longer for the Metacam). He said any danger to the liver and kidneys, due to taking the meds for longer, is a risk that needs taking for now.

He wasn't too worried about the weight loss and weighed him on his scales and he was the same as he was there last week (though that's after eating loads this morning). I prefer to take the morning weight as the right one and he's lost 4g over the past couple of days on my scales (same time each morning, after morning poo and before food). He said his keel is more prominent because there may be slight muscle wastage, due to him not being able to use his wings as much. He said that may be the cause of the weight loss too.

He asked whether he was pooing ok, as on the x ray, you can see his digestive system has been pushed over slightly. Good job he didn't tell me that last week, I would be checking him every 5 minutes (instead of the current 6 :/ ) . He said there is a concern that, as the spine mends together, that there is no neurological damage.

I mentioned the slight click in his chest and he said that was normal. He said his breathing seemed better than last week - still labored but more so after exertion. He still puts that down to pain. I wish I'd asked him to listen to his chest though - I forgot to do that. It's all really guess work, at the moment, due to not being able to do more tests.

So, carry on with the meds (as long as he doesn't vomit) and I'm back next Monday. I think my mind is a little bit more at ease, knowing that even if there was an infection - he's on the meds that would be used and all is being done that can be. Now it's down to fate/luck, I think.

Now I'll just stress about any more weight loss and whether he's pooing ok, or if the spine healing will pinch a nerve, causing damage somewhere.

A big thank you to everyone - your support and prayers mean the world to us.

Last edited:

Most Reactions