OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Jade & Jasper - Meyers - Adopted from Rescue - estimated age is 5 or 6.
Y'all! GUESS WHAT!? The sanctuary in MT just contacted me and I have been approved to adopt!!! (They slowed down adoptions due to COVID for the past 4 months, but are back up and running) They have a lot of birds, so I get to go and let a bird choose me!! I am just so friggin' excited! Best. Day. EVERRR! I am defintely meeting the Meyers & the Quakers.

If you want to browse, click here

Congratulations! I'd avoid any w/ scissor beak (mine has that and its a massive pain--it can mess w/ their ability to breathe if you are lax on trims and they aren't that cheap). I'd also go non-expert..That sounds like a problem waiting to happen (unless you want a massive undertaking and are certain you won't reach a breaking point lol).

You read my mind. As beautiful as those amazons are, I don't think I will be adopting one.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, thanks for joining! Much respect for adoption/re-homing preferences, you seem ideal and have much to offer. Joining the convo late, appears you may have a nice road trip to Kalispell forthcoming!

A shame the cockatoo "well" has been poisoned by past dialog as they are magnificent parrots in the right home. As a parront to a family of 5 goffins, Romeo isn't much a fluke. Mine may be a bit more vocal but they are supremely attentive and reactive to a strong bond and love. Your friend's experiences and techniques for socialization are likely invaluable whether you ultimately choose a cockatoo or other species.

I think my godparrot, Romeo, is a fluke then. He isn't rambunctious, he is too sweet. Quiet and observant, like a man of mystery. He dances like most do, but I've only heard him scream once in the 10 years I've known him. It was from a wild Robin crashing into the window near his cage, he yelled but that was pretty much the only time I've heard him raise his voice. I think in a past life he was the queens army guys that stand super still and don't talk. My friend has had him since he was a baby, so I wonder why he's such a good boy.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome. That sanctuary is going to be such an exciting place! Take you time and be open to curves the parrots will throw at you!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome to the forums, thanks for joining! Much respect for adoption/re-homing preferences, you seem ideal and have much to offer. Joining the convo late, appears you may have a nice road trip to Kalispell forthcoming!

A shame the cockatoo "well" has been poisoned by past dialog as they are magnificent parrots in the right home. As a parront to a family of 5 goffins, Romeo isn't much a fluke. Mine may be a bit more vocal but they are supremely attentive and reactive to a strong bond and love. Your friend's experiences and techniques for socialization are likely invaluable whether you ultimately choose a cockatoo or other species.

I think my godparrot, Romeo, is a fluke then. He isn't rambunctious, he is too sweet. Quiet and observant, like a man of mystery. He dances like most do, but I've only heard him scream once in the 10 years I've known him. It was from a wild Robin crashing into the window near his cage, he yelled but that was pretty much the only time I've heard him raise his voice. I think in a past life he was the queens army guys that stand super still and don't talk. My friend has had him since he was a baby, so I wonder why he's such a good boy.

I didn't mean to poison the well. I just think people should spend a lot of time with cockatoos before jumping in. They get bounced around so much and I know there are many in need of homes, but I think that without having spent a lot of time with them, it is hard to understand what makes them unique from other parrots (especially U2s and M2s, but cockatoos in general)...and if people don't have that experience, it is really hard for them to know whether they will be well-suited for a cockatoo. If a cockatoo is in a rescue currently, they are being cared for and handled /entertained by all the workers and other birds in most cases, so there is no need to rush out and get one right away. Rescues aren't ideal long-term homes for parrots, but the people at the rescue understand these birds...and what stinks is when they get adopted and then get returned to the rescue or given away. Cockatoos are amazing, but they are not for most people (according to statistics anyway). They could be for OP, but she won't know that unless she spends a lot of time working with them at a rescue etc. If cockatoos get adopted, I just want them to be in a home where the person knows what they are committing to so that the cycle doesn't continue ...and experience is really the only way to know, so volunteering is a great option.

I also said, "I am not saying no one should get one EVER, but I would say not to unless you have spent a lot of time working with them in a rescue or something...They can be great, but they are different...If you find yourself in a situation where you are able to spend a ton of time with one and things click, then that could work, but you just need to research them a lot and spend enough time with them that you see the way they are when your novelty wears off."

With the right tools and experience, you can avoid a lot of "horror stories", but getting that experience is essential to making an informed decision before deciding to adopt.
They aren't bad birds....They don't all have insane behavior problems but they frequently develop them when the owner doesn't fully understand what is required to address their social/emotional/behavioral needs etc. With the proper knowledge and a lot of work, they are spectacular.

This article was written by Karen Windsor, the executive director of Foster Parrots and New England Exotic Wildlife Sanctuary--It highlights the problems that rescues and cockatoos face and it is critical/negative (because it reflects the state of crisis that these birds are in). It's all based on her extensive experience at the rescue and it mirrors what I saw when working with a local rescue.
The fact that there are well-adjusted cockatoos living happily in homes should not negate the disproportionate re-homing of these birds when compared to other parrots (due to difficulties meeting their needs in captivity). A lot of it is referencing U2s and M2s, but this is the tragedy that I want to prevent, which is why I always seems so cautious about cockatoos.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...5bf98/1500567134948/July2017NEEWS_8_Pages.pdf

Here is an excerpt:
"Many re-homing
requests we receive express the profound
guilt of human guardians over how little
time they have for their cockatoos, and
request that we find homes for their birds
with people capable of giving them the
time and love they deserve. Where are
those homes? The fact is, there are few
homes available in which cockatoos can
receive the level of social support they
require in order to thrive and to avoid
developing behavioral problems that
systematically decrease possibilities for
their success as “pets”.
A cockatoo’s attempts to assert its needs -
or simply exercise natural behavior - are
typically met by attempts of guardians
to control or eliminate behaviors that
may be completely natural for the bird,
but are intolerable to human guardians
in the home environment. Few people
have the time, resources or patience to
address problem behaviors constructively
or creatively, and the resulting frustration
begins to mount in birds and humans
alike. This is not a criticism of the
countless people who have tried and failed
to care for a cockatoo. It is simply an
illustration of the fact that it is virtually
impossible to adequately meet the needs of
these animals in captivity."

This is why I say that experience is so important. SOMEONE has to care for these birds and they can be amazing companions in the right household, but it's important for that adoptive parents understand them before committing to a lifetime. A cockatoo owner with experience and understanding is much more likely to be a successful care-taker because, 1. they already understand the bird's body language, vocalizations etc, 2. because they have seen and heard these birds first-hands for long periods of time, and therefore are not likely to commit unless they are sure they are up for it and 3. because they are less fearful due to the confidence that comes with experience.

This is why long-term volunteering is a very valuable tool.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Noodles both yiu and Scott have the “ too’s)
What do you both think it takes to be successful with them ? Lol just a sort bullet point I know it’s a lot to cover in one reply!

Like on Quaker’s who are rehome so much and self destruct so often. I like to stress they they like to make noise. The volume may not reach macaw or cockatoo levels... but they are loud. The part that’s difficult is the loud goes fir hours and hours sometimes, they are a species that likes to make noise. Wild colonies are noted fir their noise level. They are smart doc social and active.

I’d say my success with them is part that I have a flock not a single bird, I keep them flighted, they are out of the cage 8 hours a day , I set up different stations around the house, they forage, and I try and set up one activity tyoe thing a day. Plus they are community group living and social. I’d say at least an hour a day is hands on head scritches and kisses....

Quaker’s end up in rescues less, they are usually passed around on Craigslist by the thousands... because when they are unhappy about being stuck in a cage all day they will scream their heads off, rib out their feathers, chew their toes off, rip up their chest muscle

Ok I went off on a tangent... but they are like cockatoo in the amount re homes and in the amount that self destruct...

I do want to hear what you think makes a successful cockatoo owner? As you two and Tired Old NaN , amount other on the forum are successful

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

I didn't mean to poison the well. I just think people should spend a lot of time with cockatoos before jumping in. They get bounced around so much and I know there are many in need of homes, but I think that without having spent a lot of time with them, it is hard to understand what makes them unique from other parrots (especially U2s and M2s, but cockatoos in general)...and if people don't have that experience, it is really hard for them to know whether they will be well-suited for a cockatoo. If a cockatoo is in a rescue currently, they are being cared for and handled /entertained by all the workers and other birds in most cases, so there is no need to rush out and get one right away. Rescues aren't ideal long-term homes for parrots, but the people at the rescue understand these birds...and what stinks is when they get adopted and then get returned to the rescue or given away. Cockatoos are amazing, but they are not for most people (according to statistics anyway). They could be for OP, but she won't know that unless she spends a lot of time working with them at a rescue etc. If cockatoos get adopted, I just want them to be in a home where the person knows what they are committing to so that the cycle doesn't continue ...and experience is really the only way to know, so volunteering is a great option.

I also said, "I am not saying no one should get one EVER, but I would say not to unless you have spent a lot of time working with them in a rescue or something...They can be great, but they are different...If you find yourself in a situation where you are able to spend a ton of time with one and things click, then that could work, but you just need to research them a lot and spend enough time with them that you see the way they are when your novelty wears off."

This article was written by Karen Windsor, the executive director of Foster Parrots and New England Exotic Wilslife Sanctuary--It highlights the problems that rescues and cockatoos face and it is critical/negative (because it reflects the state of crisis that these birds are in). It's all based on her extensive experience at the rescue and it mirrors what I saw when working with a local rescue.
The fact that there are well-adjusted cockatoos living happily in homes should not negate the disproportionate re-homing of these birds when compared to other parrots (due to difficulties meeting their needs in captivity). A lot of it is referencing U2s and M2s, but this is the tragedy that I want to prevent, which is why I always seems so cautious about cockatoos.

With the right tools and experience, you can avoid a lot of "horror stories", but getting that experience is essential to making an informed decision before deciding to adopt.
They aren't bad birds....They don't all have insane behavior problems but they frequently develop them when the owner doesn't fully understand what is required to address their social/emotional/behavioral needs etc.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...5bf98/1500567134948/July2017NEEWS_8_Pages.pdf

Here is an excerpt:
"Many re-homing
requests we receive express the profound
guilt of human guardians over how little
time they have for their cockatoos, and
request that we find homes for their birds
with people capable of giving them the
time and love they deserve. Where are
those homes? The fact is, there are few
homes available in which cockatoos can
receive the level of social support they
require in order to thrive and to avoid
developing behavioral problems that
systematically decrease possibilities for
their success as “pets”.
A cockatoo’s attempts to assert its needs -
or simply exercise natural behavior - are
typically met by attempts of guardians
to control or eliminate behaviors that
may be completely natural for the bird,
but are intolerable to human guardians
in the home environment. Few people
have the time, resources or patience to
address problem behaviors constructively
or creatively, and the resulting frustration
begins to mount in birds and humans
alike. This is not a criticism of the
countless people who have tried and failed
to care for a cockatoo. It is simply an
illustration of the fact that it is virtually
impossible to adequately meet the needs of
these animals in captivity."

This is why I say that experience is so important. SOMEONE has to care for these birds and they can be amazing companions in the right household, but it's important for that adoptive parents understand them before committing to a lifetime. A cockatoo owner with experience and understanding is much more likely to be a successful care-taker because, 1. they already understand the bird's body language, vocalizations etc, 2. because they have seen and heard these birds first-hands for long periods of time, and therefore are not likely to commit unless they are sure they are up for it and 3. because they are less fearful due to the confidence that comes with experience.

This is why long-term volunteering is a very valuable tool.

Completely agree with the cautions and anecdotes, just don't wish to see analysis paralysis prevent potential bliss. If one wants to cherry pick the most abysmal assessment of life with cockatoos, there's always mytoos.com.

I had minimal parrot experience before taking the plunge into the world of cockatoos. First a pair of Citrons, then a bonded duo of wild-caught Goffins. Along the way two Moluccans, and three Goffin offspring. Only one was ever re-homed (Moluccan) due to heightened aggression with the other. (Big Bird) I placed him in a loving single-bird home.

There is no magical key to success, rather a mind set and bond with the bird. Cockatoos are extraordinarily empathic and masters of reading cues. I firmly believe once you earn their respect - and this can be elusive - you have a devoted companion for life. I do not advocate impulsive purchases and hoping for a miracle, rather clear-headed research, one-on-one interaction assessing potential, and willingness to spend abundant time once you open your heart and home to a cockatoo.

OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
I have a quick update - seeking all your advice that you can throw at me.

I did my initial interview with the sanctuary last night and I have been given the green light to adopt. They have over 100 birds - 20 something Macaws, 20 something Cockatoos, some special needs amazons, Tamed and sweet amazons, Galah's, Quakers, IRN's, Grey's (Not tame), Meyers, cockatiels, love birds, budgies etc.

About 50 of the birds came from a hoarding situation 4 years ago. The lady had 60+ birds she was breeding, Mice breeding and rat breeding going on. The mice and rats were free to run a muck. When a rat decided an electrical cord seemed like a good thing to chew on, a fire started. Upon the fire dept's arrival they had to save all the birds (they saved all of them) and upon them getting the cages out, there were dead and mummified mice/rats stuck between the bars of the cages of the birds!!! No food, No water, Rusty cages! The sanctuary took 2 weeks to get the lady to surrender the birds and all of them were treated by the Vets. It's taken 4 years to get the little ones at a place to be adoptable. Her post on the 2 year anniversary here.

Most of those rescues are already bonded and adopted as pairs. She sent me a video of the Meyers (On FB, let me know if you'd like to see the video. I am curious as to what you think) - gorgeous birds - but they aren't tame. She estimated their age to be between 5-7. These poor birds have had such a rough beginning and it really pulls on my heart strings.

When I go and meet these two (among some others. They bring the birds to me to meet, so I have to have an idea of what i'm looking for prior to appointment) and if the Meyers seem tolerable of my presence, I'd be interested enough to adopt them to give them a good life.

My concern is this: I have never had a bonded pair of, untamed, birds this "old". Would I have to train them together or separately or maybe one on one, within view of the other?

If they aren't tamable, I think I'd be okay not handling my bird friends. Although I would love a bird to train and have them perch on my hand, I can sacrifice handling; to provide them a loving and safe home.

Lay it on me. I'm anxious to see what you all have to say.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Noodles both yiu and Scott have the “ too’s)
What do you both think it takes to be successful with them ? Lol just a sort bullet point I know it’s a lot to cover in one reply!

Like on Quaker’s who are rehome so much and self destruct so often. I like to stress they they like to make noise. The volume may not reach macaw or cockatoo levels... but they are loud. The part that’s difficult is the loud goes fir hours and hours sometimes, they are a species that likes to make noise. Wild colonies are noted fir their noise level. They are smart doc social and active.

I’d say my success with them is part that I have a flock not a single bird, I keep them flighted, they are out of the cage 8 hours a day , I set up different stations around the house, they forage, and I try and set up one activity tyoe thing a day. Plus they are community group living and social. I’d say at least an hour a day is hands on head scritches and kisses....

Quaker’s end up in rescues less, they are usually passed around on Craigslist by the thousands... because when they are unhappy about being stuck in a cage all day they will scream their heads off, rib out their feathers, chew their toes off, rip up their chest muscle

Ok I went off on a tangent... but they are like cockatoo in the amount re homes and in the amount that self destruct...

I do want to hear what you think makes a successful cockatoo owner? As you two and Tired Old NaN , amount other on the forum are successful

Does it make sense if I suggest one has to act like a cockatoo to bond with a cockatoo? Tongue in cheek, Laura, but they can be silly, goofy, playful, and react well to similar human behaviors. I'll "twirl in place" as they do, make silly faces and chatter. (somewhat equivalent to their displaying) Sometimes it gets to the point where I'll "out cockatoo a cockatoo" before leaving the house for the day and I'm sure they are glad to have "alone time."

They need to be taught the gift of self entertainment. Just one of my goffins (Gabby) is kept separate (the others pick on her) and her cage is filled with toys - items she dearly loves and spends hours shifting from one to another. To compensate she spends more one-on-one time with me. The remainder are in a trio and pair in separate locations.

That brings me to your excellent observation of flocks. Cockatoos thrive in compatible clusters, even an "odd" number is acceptable. No, this is not practical for many parronts even though disparate sized species can co-exist. I've had 3 goffins with a citron, moluccan, and TAG uncaged in a bird-proofed room. There is a difference between mixing species in the same cage (generally verboten) and co-habituating in a large space with abundant resources.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
If it's an un-tame bonded pair, that is going to be a real challenge.

I am sure it can be done, but the tricky thing is, they are already bonded to each other and if they haven't really been handled, they are likely going to be resistant to your advances in terms of training/ invading their space...Even birds that have been handled are often trickier in pairs...That doesn't mean it can't be done..I haven't tried it, so I am speculating.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for in terms of your relationship with the birds (you could succeed, but it could take a really really long time)...surely someone has succeeded, but I'd be intimidated by the prospect of adopting 2 bonded, un-tame, adult birds if my expectation was companionship with both. If they already have each other and have made it this far, it could be quite difficult for you to interject your human presence into that relationship, but again, I imagine there are people out there who have done it, I just would not be brave enough to try it personally because I have never tried anything like it.

It sounds like they really do need a good home, and I am sure you could provide that, but it all depends on your expectations for the relationship.

Wait for others to chime in-- that is just my personal opinion and like I said, it's not something I've attempted before, so I am just basing these opinions on what I know of bonded birds and un-tame birds. An un-tame bird (as an individual) can definitely be trained (but it is harder)...so do with that what you will?
Ask lots of questions to the rescue..
Also, consider how a bird reacts to you. Adult re-homes are amazing companions (I actually prefer them by far when compared to babies) but if the bird shows interest in you then your life will be slightly easier than if it does not. Again-- people have changed the minds of birds who did not care for them (with patience etc) but it just depends on so many factors. My bird didn't pick me-- I picked her and we are great now, but it took a lot of time and she was a single bird.

Just because a bird doesn't show interest doesn't mean it's a lost cause, but training will often be easier if you pick one that seems to like you already...Obviously when dealing with a trauma situation, that is going to be harder to see right away, but it's just something to keep in mind. Trust can be built, so I don't want you to think that you need to discount a bird that isn't into you, but if they already are interested, it can make training a bit less difficult.

In all honestly though, they are probably going to be a bit shaken up due to the travel/ new surroundings, so it would be really hard to judge their feelings about you in such unfamiliar circumstances.

Last edited:
OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Does it make sense if I suggest one has to act like a cockatoo to bond with a cockatoo? Tongue in cheek, Laura, but they can be silly, goofy, playful, and react well to similar human behaviors. I'll "twirl in place" as they do, make silly faces and chatter. (somewhat equivalent to their displaying) Sometimes it gets to the point where I'll "out cockatoo a cockatoo" before leaving the house for the day and I'm sure they are glad to have "alone time."

They need to be taught the gift of self entertainment. Just one of my goffins (Gabby) is kept separate (the others pick on her) and her cage is filled with toys - items she dearly loves and spends hours shifting from one to another. To compensate she spends more one-on-one time with me. The remainder are in a trio and pair in separate locations.

That brings me to your excellent observation of flocks. Cockatoos thrive in compatible clusters, even an "odd" number is acceptable. No, this is not practical for many parronts even though disparate sized species can co-exist. I've had 3 goffins with a citron, moluccan, and TAG uncaged in a bird-proofed room. There is a difference between mixing species in the same cage (generally verboten) and co-habituating in a large space with abundant resources.

I am a total sucker for cockatoos. I am so fascinated by their energy because I can relate to their need for entertainment. You're absolutely right that some people do the same things as some Toos do. I sway while standing in lines, twirl when I hear good news, I randomly start singing/talking to myself (or my Yorkie), I totally make funny faces and noises and I like to bust out in spontaneous dance parties. Their behavior is so relatable.

I admire you for having so many that you love and care for. Your little ones are stunning!

Eventually, Romeo will be staying with us for a little while and I need to further educate myself for when that day comes. I can't lie and say I am not looking forward to his Mom being shipped overseas because I totally am and she knows it. :04:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
True Scott. I guess an important part is all my birds have their own large cage. Then the mix when out. Some did take months if watching, sbd interventions before they gelled as a flock.

Recently Pikachu who is close to a year with me now, convinced Penny to ( bond?) with ( him? Nit sexed yet, think is male Penny is DNA female) it was a very awkward slow courtship.... they now share a cage and regurgitate to each other... I’m still not a 100% that I will keep the as room mates we will see..

Ta-dah and Neptune had a very strong bond, but could not share a cage...
I often worked with them together.

OP, I’m nit sure the best way to work with a bonded non human liking pair? I dint think they will be happy out of sight of each other ...

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Laurasea-not sure I have the answer lol. I know that they are the most re-homed parrots out there and that the AVA recommended against keeping M2s and U2s as pets a few years back. While I do think that in some cases , other birds can reduce the social load on the human, it can also add further complications when dealing with a hormonal parrot the size of a u2 (especially given their need for massive cages...) and aggression (again, U2s are sort of my specialty-- I have worked with the others, but not as extensively). I do know Goffins do tend to be a lot less intense.

I have an U2 who used to pluck before I got her, and she no longer does, so I must be doing things right, and she is a (nearly lol) model citizen these days...but it is almost like a full-time job in many respects (she is the the forefront of all of my decisions). She is gentle to me 95% of the time and loves other people too although she will sometimes bite them or me within groups (depending on the situation- especially if over-stimulated)...She is not a horror story--but it has been a very long road to get her where she is today and she still requires so much work.
Although she is not spoiled, and has learned independence to a degree, I still have to be "on" all the time. She's needy, willful, sensitive and scared or random stuff (random, being the key)...but she LOVES people and attention...and actually seems to enjoy chaos, but not just any chaos...it's hard to explain...Like, rowdy kids wrestling= awesome to her...but a new piece of furniture can cause a lot of stress. That having been said, she can be alone for many hours (post-training) and she doesn't need to sit on me for hours (post training)...

As adult U2s go, she's doing very well, but I still feel like it's impossible to fully meet their needs in a home. I just feel like they need more than what is possible. Captivity is a challenge for them, as is meeting their extremely high socialization needs. The wild is like the complete opposite to life in a home and their complex flock dynamics and powerful voices (and beaks) tend to be a struggle for many....even many with good intentions. Non-bird people do not understand when you tell them you have to do XYZ for your cockatoo.

It seems the U2s are the most prone to neurotic behaviors (again, based on rescue work experiences etc)...They tend to be the most "problematic", but again, cockatoos are cockatoos.

I guess to scrape by, you have to have a really super solid understanding of behavior (not the stuff you hear from random breeders, but research-based practices). I know I always talk about ABA but I would be lost if I didn't know it so well..I use it every single day, but it's also what I do for a living, so that has been invaluable. That and an insane amount of patience when training---people often react improperly to aggression and screaming and actually end up reinforcing the bad behavior inadvertently. Planned ignoring is huge for attention-seeking behaviors, and these always get worse before they get better...so it's a battle of wills (or instincts..)....and the noise alone can overwhelm anyone...You can minimize it through proper training/ABA, but they are still going to scream because it is programmed into their brains. The ignoring/training part is intolerable for many, because it is SO hard to live your life with a screaming U2 in the other room (even if it is a short time in the long-run)...and it is complicated because you have to differentiate between neglecting and teaching your bird to be okay by itself for a bit...it's not an easy thing for many and the bird is likely going to push back because it's counter-intuitive to their instincts. They are flock creatures...at the same time, you have to mold their behavior to make life possible in a home, but you are always fighting nature.

When I first got Noodles, there were some instances where she screamed for HOURS because I left the room (despite me talking to her ahead of time etc)...and it's very easy to break if you are not committed...I mean, you can't even hear yourself think and if you have kids or other household members, getting them on the same page is a must. EVERYONE must be on the same page.
There are also different types of screams for Umbrellas, and to the uninformed listener, they all sound the same, but some should be ignored, while others must not be ignored. A fear scream, for instance, should not be ignored (and they sound very similar to the attention -seeking screams). The screaming can really mess with your human relationships--it causes fighting due to the stress in many instances.

You always have to plan around the bird, without being overly attentive (that is a huge challenge for many people, as they want to be with you all the time)...There is this very blurry line between giving them the attention and interaction that they need and teaching independence..and compared to other birds, they require more attention, but determining how much can be a challenge (especially if they disagree)..No matter what, you are always fighting their "velcro-bird" tendencies, which can backfire when people do not have the tolerance to prevent/wait out the screaming. The screaming is huge. You have to know your bird's screams and know all of the different ways you may be reinforcing behaviors (ABA, again). Waiting out a screaming U2 can drive you to the brink of sanity...and if you don't give them what they think they need, they will often resort to self-injury, so it can be very stressful for people who are doing their best and still failing in the bird's eyes.
Unlike many parrots, U2s have a mate but stay with their flock (+the mate)...so you are filling the shoes of a flock and navigating the waters of being perceived as a mate. They tend to have serious FOMO issues and they want to be a part of everything all the time. This is natural, but also problematic for many day-to-day activities in the home. Without serious training (ABA-based) etc, they will scream (they scream naturally, but it's a common problem for them in homes)...so finding out how to prevent screaming is key but it can be a really grating process, because you can't just give them whatever they want to keep them quiet, or you will be a slave in your own home. The solution is NOT to over-indulge the bird, while still providing engaging activities etc (but all of this has to be taught). If they are NEVER alone, they will be quieter, but it sets them up for failure and anxiety when you inevitably have to leave etc--- so that is a challenge for many who just want to prevent the screaming and therefore, never successfully teach their bird to be okay by itself for a few hours....If you have a velcro-bird who has been overly attended to, something as small as you going to work can cause the bird to lose its mind and self-injure (and that is not easy for an owner to see)..or scream when you step out of the room..It's not like you can tell a bird that they are over-reacting, so it's very tricky.

They require a lot of interaction and talk-- you have to act like a cockatoo and play/dance/sing/respond all the time. You have to talk to them about what you are doing etc, you have to be really over-the-top and silly/theatrical. If you have the stomach flu, too bad, you had better get ready to sing and dance wildly-It matters to them.

You also can't keep them locked up just because they aren't well-behaved or because they don't like you. Behavior will only get worse if they are cooped up further, but people get into these cycles of aggression etc where they end up locking their bird up because the bird won't cooperate or attacks other people (due to preventable reasons related to hormones, petting, lack of socialization, shadowy spaces etc). So they have a "bad" bird and lock it up because it is harming their family or because they can't get it back in the cage once it's out, but locking them up magnifies the issues further and screws up the bird even more...Bad cycle..
You have to find a way to make letting them out safe while protecting the safety of others and without destroying your bird's trust. toweling, chasing, pushing a bird to the point of biting= all very bad for trust...So, you have to let them out, while still having a way to respectfully get them to go back in and while protecting the bird and the family. This can be really tricky once it gets to this point.

They need a lot of sleep...12-14 hours...that's easier said than done, given most people's work schedules and social lives.

They also shouldn't be petted sexually or allowed to do a lot of the things that they are programmed to do (nesting etc) because it will make living with them very problematic. They are constantly TRYING to seek out these things.

It's such a complicated question...U2s need someone with a lot of behavioral knowledge (research based),U2 experience, a lot of time, patience and commitment...Someone who gets that none of this is the bird's fault...and someone who can follow rules in terms of denying cuddles etc. It's like having a really needy/sometimes emo theatre kid (in toddler form) in your home all of the time who wants to glue himself to your hip...and can scream loud enough to break you.

You cannot reason with a cockatoo...which is why a solid foundation of sleep, enrichment etc is SO important...Otherwise, something like a new picture in the room could push them to the brink, and there is nothing worse than watching a bird self-destruct to the point of injury when you already feel like you are doing the best you can. I saw this in rescues a lot.

Knowing their body language and calling them on a bluff vs. another behavior is also huge and not easy until you have solid trust and know your bird...
and you need a sense of humor, as well as large cages/play-stands. You have to be honestly confident, but respectful and that is hard too.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

I did my initial interview with the sanctuary last night and I have been given the green light to adopt. They have over 100 birds - 20 something Macaws, 20 something Cockatoos, some special needs amazons, Tamed and sweet amazons, Galah's, Quakers, IRN's, Grey's (Not tame), Meyers, cockatiels, love birds, budgies etc.

About 50 of the birds came from a hoarding situation 4 years ago. The lady had 60+ birds she was breeding, Mice breeding and rat breeding going on. The mice and rats were free to run a muck. When a rat decided an electrical cord seemed like a good thing to chew on, a fire started. Upon the fire dept's arrival they had to save all the birds (they saved all of them) and upon them getting the cages out, there were dead and mummified mice/rats stuck between the bars of the cages of the birds!!! No food, No water, Rusty cages! The sanctuary took 2 weeks to get the lady to surrender the birds and all of them were treated by the Vets. It's taken 4 years to get the little ones at a place to be adoptable. Her post on the 2 year anniversary here.

Most of those rescues are already bonded and adopted as pairs. She sent me a video of the Meyers (On FB, let me know if you'd like to see the video. I am curious as to what you think) - gorgeous birds - but they aren't tame. She estimated their age to be between 5-7. These poor birds have had such a rough beginning and it really pulls on my heart strings.

When I go and meet these two (among some others. They bring the birds to me to meet, so I have to have an idea of what i'm looking for prior to appointment) and if the Meyers seem tolerable of my presence, I'd be interested enough to adopt them to give them a good life.

My concern is this: I have never had a bonded pair of, untamed, birds this "old". Would I have to train them together or separately or maybe one on one, within view of the other?

If they aren't tamable, I think I'd be okay not handling my bird friends. Although I would love a bird to train and have them perch on my hand, I can sacrifice handling; to provide them a loving and safe home.

First, I love how you are asking for more info on the different species of birds! You are going to be a wonderful parront no matter which species you decide on.

We took in an older pair of Meyers and an older pair of Red Bellied from a breeder who just wanted them gone. I think success is all in your expectations. Ours were totally wild & had always been breeders, and were all in their 20s. We simply wanted to give them a good home, as you mentioned, and trying to tame them did not seem like it was in their best interest.
If this is something you would be happy with, I highly suggest doing it. They need homes so badly, and many breeders just want them gone when they no longer produce babies.

We also have a GSC2 we took in who came from a meth house. He had seizures for several months while detoxing, but is honestly one of our easier birds to deal with now. He is 30 now and completely tame. While cockatoos do pose a unique challenge, sometimes they aren't harder to deal with than other species. It all depends on the bird. I have a friend with an M2 who had no experience at all with large birds, and she is doing amazing in her care.

We also have a Red Lored Amazon who has a scissor beak, and it only costs $10 here for a beak trim for him. His is not severe enough to cause issues with breathing or eating, and after we changed his diet & gave him appropriate toys to chew on the trims have become farther apart. In fact, he hasn't needed a trim in 3 years now.

In the end, if you do what feels right for you after doing the research, I think you can have success with any bird that steals your heart.

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP

This is what I have to lay on you: I. LOVE. YOUR. ATTITUDE! You're researching potential species, but keeping an open mind. I wish there were more folks like you around! That said, meet some birds and see who's a good fit. When the right one chooses you, you'll know.

My first Ekkie, Patches, picked me before I had a clue what that meant. I just thought he was good with everyone. Well socialized, you know?On my second visit with him, I was warned that he was hormonal and grumpy that day, and another potential adopter took a nasty bite. When I approached his cage, he stepped right up and hung out with me for several hours, sweet as could be. He just wanted to be with me. It was then that I understood about being chosen. On subsequent visits, he would get so excited when he heard my truck approaching, all the volunteers had to tell me about it. Unfortunately, he had underlying health issues, but he found his forever home with me and was truly loved for the much too short time he had left. He was sooooo worth it. I maintain that he was my best friend ever, (except my wife, of course) human or other, to this day.

Can't wait to hear how your visits go! Keep us posted :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I am a total sucker for cockatoos. I am so fascinated by their energy because I can relate to their need for entertainment. You're absolutely right that some people do the same things as some Toos do. I sway while standing in lines, twirl when I hear good news, I randomly start singing/talking to myself (or my Yorkie), I totally make funny faces and noises and I like to bust out in spontaneous dance parties. Their behavior is so relatable.

I admire you for having so many that you love and care for. Your little ones are stunning!

Eventually, Romeo will be staying with us for a little while and I need to further educate myself for when that day comes. I can't lie and say I am not looking forward to his Mom being shipped overseas because I totally am and she knows it. :04:

Approval is fantastic news, now comes the very hard part selecting your companion(s)! A truism suggests "allowing the bird to choose you," of course after you've narrowed the field. The hoarding situation was horrific and thankfully all were saved. You now have a rare opportunity to preview an array of species, so begin your research and make the best informed decision. I have no experience with Meyer so cannot offer advice.

Your personality seems uniquely suited to life with a parrot, we're all awaiting some great news and introduction!!

OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Where have all of you wonderful people been my whole life? I LOVE the feed back I am getting!! Thank you so much for the compliments and guidance, Laurasea, Noodles, Scott, SaxGuy and Terry. I am so glad to have "met" you all.

I am open minded and have an open heart to whatever happens. I'll continue to research and poke you all for more info.

I called the director back and asked if Jade and Jasper were aggressive and she said they show her no aggression or biting, they even allow her to trim their nails! This is GOOD news. I'm going to head up there after next week. I have a St. Louis trip I have to go to drop off my stepdaughter at her Mom's. Our summer time has ended. :(

I am picking up a pretty good cage that someone locally only used for a month for their 3 budgies. Has toys, bowl, perches included. It's an A & E 32" x 23" x 63" play top. Spacing is 3/4" for $175!!(see here)

So, by the Friday of August 21st, I'll be heading all the way up to Kalispell!(6 hour drive) I think I will plan a couple trips if any of the birds don't choose me that visit. I am in no rush, I want to do this right.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
if you are getting a used cage, clean clean clean clean. You want to make sure that asymptomatic viral particles etc are not still present (seemingly health birds can spread deadly illness to others even if they never are sick themselves), and if you use something like bleach, you need to let it sit in the sun to deactivate it (and then rinse rinse rinse).

A cage that size will not work for all birds, so make sure the bar spacing and dimensions as well as thickness meet the needs of your future bird/birds. It would be far too small for a larger bird.

When you get your birds, you will also need a bird safe cleaner--I know you had them previously, but I am just mentioning this because a lot of people still don't know about the dangers of chemicals, scents, and teflon/ptfe/pfoa/pfcs around birds, and it does seem that some succumb more easily than others.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

That's a looooong drive, can you spend more than one day? You'll want to be methodical and check out each bird of interest, but after a few it'll become overload and you'll want to think it over. It is not entirely unreasonable that you'll instantly "click" with one or more birds at the beginning.

OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Noodles, I used apple cider vinegar: water (1:1 ratio) when cleaning my others cages. Is that still a good idea? If not, any recommendations?

Scott, were going to plan for the entire weekend (Fri, Sat,Sun) to be able to go in for a couple hours. If we need to come back, we absolutely can. Montana is huge. It takes hours to get anywhere, so this drive doesn't intimidate us. We're okay with multiple trips if needed.

Thank you both so much.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Most Reactions