Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hee hee, careful, this place can get addicting lol! So glad you found us though :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
They are beautiful, and I can tell by their eyes they are very smart and curious
May they have a long healthy happy life with you

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations, Jade and Jasper are magnificent! So glad you adopted them together, a wise decision. Looking forward to more pics and chronicles of their lives!

You were probably infected with MBS. (Multiple Bird Syndrome) :D No cure, but at least the facility is a good distance and requires thought and planning!! :)
You got that right. This is exactly how my mother started breeding and raising her lovebirds. [emoji2360] I am infected, Scott! [emoji24]

But. After some thought...I'm going to wait. I need to get these two where they're more comfortable being here. I was just thinking: these two have never been the "only" birds. Ever! In their entire lives, they've been neglected and then just at the rescue Maybe they need this year to just themselves.

I believe I have to give them that before I go and adopt some adorable rambunctious Quaker(s). I have to think smart for these two, they deserve the break and a chance at a new life in a new loving home.

So for now, I wait and provide them with peace and love. I will be going back eventually in the distant future. By this time next year...I'll probably be adopting again. [emoji2360] [emoji1695]

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Your instinctual caution is going to serve everyone well. Jade and Jasper deserve your unfettered attention for a while, and you'll have a steady supply of equally needy parrots when the time is right!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I'm going to leave them in this cage for a week and then transfer them to the other one that'll be their main cage for awhile...although I hate that I'm going to have to towel them to do it. It was stressful enough for Jade and Jasper having the rescue towel them into this new one but this was the only cage that would fit in my SUV.

Perhaps you might not need to towel them? Can you put the current cage close to the new cage or vice versa, and then when it is time to move them, place door-to-door? Then allow Plenty plenty of time for them to move from one into the other. Or even perhaps gently encourage them.

Of course I don’t know how big the new cage is or your available space. So, it’s just a thought. Maybe it could work?

OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Jade & Jasper - Meyers - Adopted from Rescue - estimated age is 5 or 6.
I'm going to leave them in this cage for a week and then transfer them to the other one that'll be their main cage for awhile...although I hate that I'm going to have to towel them to do it. It was stressful enough for Jade and Jasper having the rescue towel them into this new one but this was the only cage that would fit in my SUV.

Perhaps you might not need to towel them? Can you put the current cage close to the new cage or vice versa, and then when it is time to move them, place door-to-door? Then allow Plenty plenty of time for them to move from one into the other. Or even perhaps gently encourage them.

Of course I don’t know how big the new cage is or your available space. So, it’s just a thought. Maybe it could work?
Ohhhh that may work actually! The cage I'd like them to be in is 64" tall, the doors would match right up if I put them on the countertop. Thank you! I'll let them see me put the shelled almonds in their new bowl to entice them.

See. It's blantantly clear I'm not going to be able to survive without you all.

OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Just wanted you all to know I changed my name. That way when I am all up on here, you know it is me. Cheers!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Just wanted you all to know I changed my name. That way when I am all up on here, you know it is me. Cheers!
Congratulations on becoming a supporting member! And name change!
Any updates on the fids? You are such a great parront !

OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Thanks, Laura.

Yes on the update! Jade is a little cranky - she is going to take longer to trust me. She is SO smart though. She is very curious about me, she calls to me if i leave the room. Not very loud, but she calls.

Jasper is a little love muffin. He is VERY interested in me. I come and wake them up in the morning with a "Good morning" and as I am off to the shower, Jasper calls me loudly, twice. I answer him, he seems satisfied with me doing that.

Yesterday I was sitting by their cage and talking. I became curious if they knew how to target...so I grabbed a chop stick, showed it to them from outside the cage and said "Can we target? Let's try." Jasper immediately knew what I wanted, walked down to the other side of the cage and touched the stick, I clicked and said Good bird! I then went to Jade's side and asked the same. She relaxed a little after me leaving the target in my hand in plain view. I then slid between the bars and stopped so she had to reach for it. She didn't go for it as fast as Jasper did. So i left it in the same spot, no movement and she then relaxed and reached for it. I clicked and again said good bird. I let it be after that, put the clicker and chop stick away out of sight, then sat back down and was reading my book out loud. I did this for about 40 minutes.
I then got the stick again and asked jasper to target, he waddled over and touched it immediately. Jade was a lot more receptive to targeting the second time.

They both pin their eyes when I praise them. Jasper does the chicken dance which is adorable. Like stands a bit taller, shakes his wings out and turns all the way around, back to face me. Jade is just super observant. Although, today when I went home for lunch- it was almost like Jade was happy to see me. I came in and said Hi Jasper and Jade. What's everybody doing?
and she squeaked, fluffed out her feathers and was chirping at me softly. Like she was telling me abut her day. Jasper ran up to the other side and squeaked at me as well.

I wish I could describe their eyes to you guys. I can tell when Jade is not having a good time just by looking at them and I can tell when she is taking me all in...Jasper does flirty eyes with me (i.e. slow soft blinks) They both have very different squeaks and chirps. Sometimes they make a popping sound if I am across the room where they can see me but I'm not looking their way. Do you know the sound I am describing? Almost like cracking a nut without the nut. I have no idea what their saying to me yet but I am picking up some of their cues and calls slowly.

I definitely have to send a video to you all to see. Maybe you guys can help me see what their body language is and hear their soft chirps/squeaks. I'll figure out how to do that.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Such a great start new friend of the forum and parrot rescue mom!

OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Jasper is shredding toys! Jade and Jasper both took a treat from my chopstick. Tonight is a good night!

Most Reactions