noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Noodles, I used apple cider vinegar: water (1:1 ratio) when cleaning my others cages. Is that still a good idea? If not, any recommendations?

Scott, were going to plan for the entire weekend (Fri, Sat,Sun) to be able to go in for a couple hours. If we need to come back, we absolutely can. Montana is huge. It takes hours to get anywhere, so this drive doesn't intimidate us. We're okay with multiple trips if needed.

Thank you both so much.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

There are diseases like PBFD and PDD that can be shed by seemingly healthy birds and vinegar is not going to come close to cleaning them. F10 SC at higher concentrations could be used (and it is actually safe around birds--I use the yellowish kind that doesn't have to be rinsed--its a concentrate that you dilute so it's actually pretty inexpensive with that considered). Vikron S is one of the only disinfectants that can kill PBFD, but I wouldn't use it around birds... Bleach is hit or miss and not safe around birds. Any wooden or porous cage accessories etc should NOT be re-used.

If you are spot cleaning around the house or whatever, ACV or the more natural stuff like baking soda, grapefruit seed extract etc etc can be fine, but you need to clean this cage in such a way that you remove the risk of viruses, and vinegar isn't nearly strong enough.

You never want to use any standard cleaners around birds unless avian-safe, but since you don't have this bird yet and are getting a used caged, you will need to clean it well.
You also need to watch out for chemical residues with something like bleach, which is why they say to clean it and then let it sit in the sun and rinse etc.

Also-- something I learned at a med training (for humans) is that bleach loses it's full power within 24 hours of opening, so if you do use it to disinfect, make sure you get a new bottle, rather than using an old one.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Read through cleaning briefly. Just make sure never mix bleach and vinegar combined they make a toxic gas.

Bleach used on non porous object rinse and allowed to dry till no bleach smell , is safe when no birds are around. Or done outside. Bleach fumes are bad I’m sure.

I used bleach to clean objects that went in my sea horse tank. After the rinsed dried and no smell of bleach I could use in my delicate salt water tank .

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You definitely don't want to use it inside and you do want to give it some time to break down in the sun because it can leave a residue..you should still rinse etc.

Good call Laurasea on never mixing.

theconductor

May 24, 2020
Noodles, I used apple cider vinegar: water (1:1 ratio) when cleaning my others cages. Is that still a good idea? If not, any recommendations?

Scott, were going to plan for the entire weekend (Fri, Sat,Sun) to be able to go in for a couple hours. If we need to come back, we absolutely can. Montana is huge. It takes hours to get anywhere, so this drive doesn't intimidate us. We're okay with multiple trips if needed.

Thank you both so much.

You can also look into Star San. I use it to clean beer equipment at my bar and it's used around the world by brewers. Odorless, colorless, and tasteless. Environmentally safe and safe for human consumption.

I haven't looked to see if it would be effective against bacteria/viruses in and around bird cages.

I have yet to use it around the bird as I don't have any at the house.

OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Jade & Jasper - Meyers - Adopted from Rescue - estimated age is 5 or 6.
Just a quick update for you...tomorrow is the big day!!! I am pretty sure i'm not going to be able to sleep tonight.

Thank you all for all the advice, guidance and knowledge you've shared with me. I will remember what all of you have told me tomorrow. Thanks SOOO much all!!

I'll make sure to do an introduction post, if I go home with a new feather kid(s) tomorrow.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Woo hoooo!!! Exciting day! Have a safe trip, and let us know how the adventure goes.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I’m so excited too! I hope a parrot or parrots choose yiu sbd yiu feel the connection

OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Okay, y'all. I went, I mingled, I was adored by a miligold macaw in the waiting room whom was stunning and so friendly. The Meyers and 2 quakers absolutely fell in love with me and my husband. It was a very tough choice but I went home with the Meyers. They ran right up to my side and we're staring and squeaking at me. Not common with those two

The male quaker was so rambunctious and dying for attention, he looOoOooved my husband...so if he's still there next year, I may go adopt him. We'll see how it goes with these two the next year [emoji3059]
2fed1771e1ea38188989ad41b5b59d3e.jpg

OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Yes! They're home with us. They're just chirping away to me currently. [emoji3059]

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Awwwww! Congratulations!

OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Thank you! I'll be a supporting member to this phenomenal forum tomorrow. I need you all in my life, for sure! I'm going to ask a ton of questions and for all your advice. I appreciate you all, truly! [emoji3]

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Okay, y'all. I went, I mingled, I was adored by a miligold macaw in the waiting room whom was stunning and so friendly. The Meyers and 2 quakers absolutely fell in love with me and my husband. It was a very tough choice but I went home with the Meyers. They ran right up to my side and we're staring and squeaking at me. Not common with those two

The male quaker was so rambunctious and dying for attention, he looOoOooved my husband...so if he's still there next year, I may go adopt him. We'll see how it goes with these two the next year [emoji3059]
2fed1771e1ea38188989ad41b5b59d3e.jpg

Congratulations! They're cuties for sure :) Do they have names, or are you renaming them? We're looking forward to hearing about life with your new flock. And... More pictures :D

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Two new babies!! And we don’t have many active members with his type of parrot, so it will be fun to read how they are with you. And I hope like millions of pictures!

What is their back story? Does the rescue give that, their history? I’m so glad they have each other, and how lucky they are to have you.
I hope you go back for that Quaker sooner than later ! The Quaker chose your husband , when they choose you like that it’s pretty amazing..It’s cslled multiple bird syndrome and it real! Sometimes an instant family isn’t bad , myself and other members have ended up adding when that want planned.

I tell on saxguy, who went to a rescue for an Eclectus, but also met an unexpected amazon,
After adoption the wonderful Eclectus he went back and got the amazon too......that amazon choose him, and they are so special together...

I had one GCC for ten or more years then added my current GCC, five years later the first passed. So I got my weaned baby Quaker from the breeder, a month later I came across a mistreated Quaker that I had to save...... the next year I added a Quaker that needed to be re homed... so bam I had a GCC and 3 Quaker’s ( I also have two budgie that were given to me)

Anyway I love Quaker’s and hearing that the rescue Quaker loved your husband.... well I wanted to be clear we wouldn’t judge, if yiu has to go back and get him.... ;) ;) ;)
In a year he could really change being at the rescue that long..... ok am I terrible???? But really most of us have multiple birds, what’s one more right (wink) right now your two new and amazing friends are used to having other birds around at the rescue.... ok I am terrible! Lol

Congratulations we all feel yiu and your hubby will be good parronts

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Haha Laura, you're pulling out all the stops here telling on me! I won't argue though. My Baxter is truly a special one, but she has gotten pretty protective of me lol. Daddy's girl all the way, that's for sure! And BTW, just resting on the couch, I would never trust having them in bed. We've heard too many horror stories from folks who did that.
a86b6cbf3d88b2a9803fff6461caf504.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Aww, Laura. Your flock story is amazing! I loved reading it [emoji3059] you're not horrible and I absolutely agree. That little guy will probably join ours sooner rather than later. He was so adorable.

Their names are Jade and Jasper I actually love those names and want to keep them. These 2 were apart of a hoarding case 4 years ago. They had a rough first year or two with rats and mice running freely through the hoarder house, their cage. The rats and mice chewed an electrical cord, started a fire, fire dept rescued hundred of bird and animals out of the trailer. There were mummified mice stuck in the bars of Jade and Jaspers cage, no clean water, no food, poop covered. The rescue had had them in their care for 4 years, they have a healthy diet that I'll continue to give them. They're not cage aggressive, they're just fearful of people reaching for them, they're curious but not curious enough to want hands or even a chopstick near them. (I wanted to see their reaction to the stick, so I slowly brought it in their space, didn't move it and they just stared then moved away)

They have a rough story that broke my heart. They need some time to trust me then I can try to tame them on slow terms. For the first few weeks, I plan on just coming up to them and talking to them.

Jade is the bigger girl, with black feet and a missing toe nail. She's super attentive, acrobatic and I can tell she'll absolutely benefit from human interaction. She's already so curious.

Jasper is the little one, with white feet and funny dance moves. He squats down and shakes his wings when he's trying to get Jade to pay him attention or play. He watches us, he squeaks to get our attention, he calls when I leave the immediate vacinity. He's going to take longer to trust me, though. At least I think this now, it could change. [emoji2372]

They're so much fun to watch already. Their little relationship they have is comedy. Jade just doesn't want to play as much as Jasper so seeing him try to talk her into it is funny.

I'm going to leave them in this cage for a week and then transfer them to the other one that'll be their main cage for awhile...although I hate that I'm going to have to towel them to do it. It was stressful enough for Jade and Jasper having the rescue towel them into this new one but this was the only cage that would fit in my SUV.

Here are these beautiful babes this morning. I can't wait to get them into the other cage with all their new toys.
858936f74277ed80d6b45944bb1ceb43.jpg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations, Jade and Jasper are magnificent! So glad you adopted them together, a wise decision. Looking forward to more pics and chronicles of their lives!

You were probably infected with MBS. (Multiple Bird Syndrome) :D No cure, but at least the facility is a good distance and requires thought and planning!! :)

OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Congratulations, Jade and Jasper are magnificent! So glad you adopted them together, a wise decision. Looking forward to more pics and chronicles of their lives!

You were probably infected with MBS. (Multiple Bird Syndrome) :D No cure, but at least the facility is a good distance and requires thought and planning!! :)
You got that right. This is exactly how my mother started breeding and raising her lovebirds. [emoji2360] I am infected, Scott! [emoji24]

But. After some thought...I'm going to wait. I need to get these two where they're more comfortable being here. I was just thinking: these two have never been the "only" birds. Ever! In their entire lives, they've been neglected and then just at the rescue Maybe they need this year to just themselves.

I believe I have to give them that before I go and adopt some adorable rambunctious Quaker(s). I have to think smart for these two, they deserve the break and a chance at a new life in a new loving home.

So for now, I wait and provide them with peace and love. I will be going back eventually in the distant future. By this time next year...I'll probably be adopting again. [emoji2360] [emoji1695]

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Wow! Great attitude! I like your style. You, my friend, are going to fit in nicely around here. :)

OP
Ceri

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Wow! Great attitude! I like your style. You, my friend, are going to fit in nicely around here. :)
Thank you, Sax! I'm hoping to! [emoji1695] I can learn so much from all of you! You guys are my new favorite part of my day.

Most Reactions