Untamed ringneck

Neil R

Nov 22, 2023
Parrots
Ringneck
I have just got a 6mth old ringneck, I'm not sure wether it's male or female yet. I'm at a loss of what to do, I can't even get close to the cage without it going mad. I try everyday talking to him. I would love to let him out of the cage but on the two occasions I have I've had to catch him with a towel when I can finally corner him and i'm worried that he will loose my trust doing this.... please can anyone help and advice me how I can gain his trust and tame him when I can't even get close to him and impossible to let him out.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Untamed ringneck parrots are really tough to tame, and yours seems a classic example. It will be a very gradual process, of establishing the distance from the cage he is OK with you and then every few days inching closer and closer. It might take a few weeks or even months. They need daily work and persistence of you are ever to get him to a tame state.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I have just got a 6mth old ringneck, I'm not sure wether it's male or female yet. I'm at a loss of what to do, I can't even get close to the cage without it going mad. I try everyday talking to him. I would love to let him out of the cage but on the two occasions I have I've had to catch him with a towel when I can finally corner him and i'm worried that he will loose my trust doing this.... please can anyone help and advice me how I can gain his trust and tame him when I can't even get close to him and impossible to let him out.
Try start by feeding it from your hand. Once it trust's your hand you can try build from that. But it's no certainty trying to tame a bird that wasn't hand reared. You will need to be very patient

OP
N

Neil R

Nov 22, 2023
Parrots
Ringneck
Try start by feeding it from your hand. Once it trust's your hand you can try build from that. But it's no certainty trying to tame a bird that wasn't hand reared. You will need to be very patient
I've had my ringneck now for 4mths and still can't get anywhere near him, I'm at a loss, what should I do????

Most Reactions

Latest posts