gave my parakeet away

ConureLady

Oct 15, 2012
i adopted a conure and felt inclined to take his two cockatiel friends and parakeet friend..
i dont really like the tiels. i liked the parakeet but he just wasnt the kind of bird i wanted.
i had them for about two weeks..
i just gave my little dude to someone on craigslist and he just left with him about five minutes ago.
i was going to give away the tiels too, but they are too complicated i.e. laying eggs etc.
i feel kind of bad but oh well.
lesson learned: never adopt a pet you dont want just because of the situation they are in.

now i've given away 6 finches, a parakeet, and have my three conures i love to death and two tiels that annoy me.

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
I don't like cockatiels. :/
From experience, no matter how obligated you feel keeping animals that just down right annoy you is a sure way to make your life hell and the animals will *feel* it as well.

You saved them from their situation and gave them a bit more time to find just the right home, so perhaps it wouldn't be so bad rehoming them if you can find someone who is going to be dedicated enough to give them a good life no matter how complicated they are.

Did I mention Im not a fan of cockatiels :|

benton23

Oct 21, 2012
Wilmington
Parrots
Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure- Zoey
I know how that goes. I'm currently trying to rehome my 3 budgie boys in preparation for my GCC. I'd like to have all 4 but it just isn't reasonable or responsible for me to have more than one bird right now, and given the choice I want the Conure over the budgies. Makes me sad, but sometimes you gotta make the hard choices to do what's best for everyone. So side note, anyone in the Wilmington, NC area that would be interested in adopting 3 beautiful, sweet budgie boys, let me know! They deserve a great home.

chickymonkey

Oct 1, 2012
USA
Parrots
Crimson conures, Roseifrons, Sun, Sunday and cockatiels.
I think there's a stigma to rehoming. I am a firm believer though that rehoming is often the best choice for both parties if there's not contentment on either side. It's often the kindest decision so that a better fit is made, you're not miserable and the pet gets an opportunity to have a home where they're loved and appreciated. I think it's a wise choice even though it may be a difficult one.

We rehomed a dog after the dog and my daughter were terrified of each other. I had had her since a pup and at age 3 it became very clear the situation was not good for any of us. We found a home for her with no kids and we're all much happier.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I've been guilty of the same thing...taking an extra bird when you really didn't want to, then regretting it later, cause you paid for it, and it didn't work out for what ever reason.
But no more...I have 5 cockatiels, among other birds, and enjoy them very much. Especially my male who says 'watcha doin?' and whistles many, many different tunes, and he's just turned 6 months.

Most Reactions

Latest posts