monisaab

Mar 25, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Tango (Quaker)
Cujo & Zazz (GCCs)
Flex & Julia (Cockatiels)
Gaza & Gina (GCCs) and a few others ;-)
OK so I bought a GCC pair that is 2-3 years old and am planning to breed them. Just wanted to know if I can keep them in my garage. I live in Greater Toronto Area and my garage is not insulated. The temperature at night is around 5-6 degrees C. Will they be OK in that temperature??? Thanks :green2::green2::green2:

haleyd

May 1, 2017
Western North Carolina
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Baby Bird)
It is a little on the lower side for conures, remember they are from South America and thrive in warmer temperatures. Not too hot, not too cold with room temperature being a general go to for their enclosures. You might want to reconsider location, or provide some sort of heat at night to keep them from getting too cold. Also, they thrive on human interaction and require quite a bit of exercise-so moving them into the house might be best and easier in the long run.

OP
M

monisaab

Mar 25, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Tango (Quaker)
Cujo & Zazz (GCCs)
Thanks for the prompt response... that is what I was thinking about the temperature and the reason I asked it here... They are currently inside the house but someone told me if I wanted them to breed I needed to provide them with privacy, so I thought about moving them to the garage. DO they really need privacy to breed?

haleyd

May 1, 2017
Western North Carolina
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Baby Bird)
Well they do need privacy, they are considered nesting birds so they sort of "sack up" when they're ready to make babies. Meaning that a quieter area of the house will do, like a bedroom- but they need nesting boxes and basically a cozy safe area within the cage to do their business and ultimately hatch their young. I would research Conure nesting boxes for ideas and inspiration on that, as I know the scientific side of things rather than have actually done it myself lol.
I will warn you, they can get pretty crazy once they start to mate and will be difficult t deal with. I've heard of even the sweetest birds becoming wild when they are allowed to mate, but if they are purely breeder birds then it shouldn't be a huge issue.
Best wishes

Kendar

Mar 17, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Parrots
1 female green cheek conure (Bailey)
1 female pineapple green cheek conure (Loki)
They don't need that much privacy, believe me. But I think that if "someone" told you that you need to provide them with privacy breed, then I suggest you talk to some breeders to see what you're getting yourself into. Breeding can be a lot of work, if done responsibly.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Please, under no circumstances consider the garage! Quiet time with in your house all they need! My Jojo has been trying to make his favorite bell have babies, in the middle of our living room, with a house full of company!

OP
M

monisaab

Mar 25, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Tango (Quaker)
Cujo & Zazz (GCCs)
Thanks for the response everyone... they are not moving to the garage.

OneHorseRanch

May 25, 2014
California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure, Sheldon. Hatch date: 7/27/13
Please, under no circumstances consider the garage! Quiet time with in your house all they need! My Jojo has been trying to make his favorite bell have babies, in the middle of our living room, with a house full of company!

LOL!! Sheldon does the same thing. Quite embarrassing when you have company. Then you feel you've got some explaining to do.. .or just leave the room

Most Reactions