Get well wishes for sulphur crested Cockatoo

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Oh Hannah! I'm soo soo sorry..breaks my heart. Please don't beat yourself up!! You tried..really hard..at least he had a fighting chance in your care where otherwise he wouldn't.

Jim

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I feel awful, It’s my fault I should have made him eat more but he refused.
It’s all too much, I wish I could give Sunny a cuddle.
It's not your fault--- if he refused it was more than we knew...he may have been very ill.

Birds are masters at hiding sickness but they know it when they see it in another bird. Maybe his parents recognized that something was wrong..

NOT your fault, but I did cry when I finally killed a starving wasp this morning after trying to feed him some pear and watching him flip on his back repeatedly (I finally smashed him)---so if I can feel guilty over that, I guess you are entitled, even though you did nothing wrong and actually prolonged his life and allowed him to feel safe.. You just CANNOT blame yourself for this--- cry, sob, eat a tub of ice-cream (but do not blame yourself).

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT!!!!

He is yet another victim of these dreadful circumstances we find ourselves in in this country at present. The moment you said he had lice I feared the worst. I once rescued a baby galah that was being pecked to death by crows in a park, and he was infested with lice - he didn't even make it to the afternoon when I was going to take him to the vet. This only happens when they are already so weak that they cannot preen them off by themselves, so your boy was already in a bad state. We always feel like we should have/could have done more but you did everything right so I HEREBY FORBID YOU TO BLAME YOURSELF!!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
This was the risk. This was what you were prepared to accept when you took him in. If you hadn't, his last days would have been even worse. You did this guy a tremendous service and who knows what underlying problems he had when you found him. He had food, comfort and the knowledge that someone cared. It was clear from your pictures that he knew all that.
You did everything you knew how for him and would have continued if he had had the will to live, you can never do more than that. At least now you know that he flies high and free. Thank you for your great courage and humanity, I am glad to kind of know you.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
I had a feeling he had mites, parasite or internal infection, just by his weight even losing 5% is bad and the fact he lost 5 grams when you weight him again which is more than 10% , even after eating, which suggest a parasite, or mites burrowing under skin was draining him down as they do feed on the blood supply. Plus the fact he had burst of energy and then loses energy. Reason why I recommended the pedialyte as it helps maintain hydration and even if it was just a digestive infection it help with that as well? I was hoping he make it to at least to see a vet, but with that weight I feared he maybe already to far gone. I did have hope as he made it almost 2 days. With that much weight loss at 10% or higher would have required force-feeding and (hospitalizing the bird), your not a doctor, so you won't have known and at his weight he likely was to far gone already. His parents, or flock members may have already knew and reason they rejected him, or something happened to them as well? Even as a Juvenile he sure have been above 600 grams and a adult around 850 grams, when I saw that picture of the weight on the scale I knew it was going to be a 50/50 shot.

No it not your fault, you did the best you could do. Worked at rescues and with wildlife for years and you learn you can't save them all, all you can do is try your best and give them a better quality of life while they are still around. At least he didn't died alone outside in the extreme heat suffering, so you did him a service. Don't blame yourself and don't hesitate to help another.

As far as Tube forcing feeding a bird to eat you have to feed crop directly and keep mixed warm formula mix with a electrolyte, or pedialyte at (100-105°F or 38 to 41°C), so it won't get rejected and 4 times a day as some of it did state earlier.

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Oh the poor baby! And poor Hannah! :(

Honestly, there was nothing more you could have done. Force-feeding him would only have hastened his death as apparently, heat stroke and starvation were just too hard on him.

I'm *so* glad he had you to ease the last hours of his little life, Hannah! If you hadn't found him, he'd have died alone and in extreme stress. As it is, while you're suffering the sorrow of his passing, the rest of us can see what an enormous service you did this little fellow, especially at such a cost to yourself.

We're all so sorry you've been hit with a string of losses lately, but this sad time will pass and there's happiness ahead yet. Keep smiling, eh? You did such a good thing! XX

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
As everyone else has said: you gave him the best shot he could hope for. It just wasn't meant to be. It was NOT your fault. He is no longer in pain.

We are here for you. A beautiful soul such as yours is shouldn't suffer alone. We are all sad with you. RIP little fighter cockatoo

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I'm so sorry Hannah! :smile016:

It is not your fault. Apparently, he was already too far gone before you even entered the picture. You gave him love and affection. He would have died alone if you hadn't intervened. I'm so glad you were in his life, even if it was only a fews days. You made a difference. You are a blessing and a beacon of light never forget that, my dear. :heart:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hannah, I am so sorry. Please don't blame yourself, no one could have done more than you did for him. He died knowing he was loved, cared for and that he mattered. You gave him those things, please don't forget that. Even though the outcome was not the one everyone hoped for, you made his life better, even if for just a short time.
Sending warm hugs of comfort to you.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Hannah, I'm so sorry. You thought you were providing Emergency Recovery Care. But you weren't. Instead you were providing Hospice care.

You rescued him from last days alone and lonely, hungry, suffering and scared. You allowed him to die with dignity, feeling LOVED (already loved not only by you but by all your friends on this forum!) and fed, cared-for, comforted and in comfort.

You absolutely did Not fail. You succeeded at a different job than you hoped you were doing. You granted him love and peace and comfort, even with tears.

(You are in my prayers.)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So sorry to hear he passed, Hannah. You did everything possible, a bit more food or a little of something else would not likely have changed the outcome. Poor little guy had his very best chance in your caring hands. To the end he enjoyed compassion and your love.

Feathered hugs, my friend. :smile015:

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Don't blame yourself! It's not your fault. I know this pain, this year I was hand-feeding four abandoned Bourkes. Unfortunetely two of them also passed away - one during hand-feeding, the second one few days after finishing

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I do hope you are beginning to feel a bit better. There is so much concern and understanding shown in this thread and it was meant to be as it turned out. Turn your head and heart forward, your bird whatever he may be is there waiting for you somewhere. Have a peaceful and happy Christmas and be confident in what you achieved for that little guy in the few days that you knew each other.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
That's the thing Hannah--- I know it doesn't help, but if he had a progressive disease then there was nothing you could have done. He may have been "doomed" from the time you found him. If you still have him, you could consult the vet to see if they can provide answers.
I know you loved him--if people who never met him could love him, then you (the one doing all of the work and providing comfort for him) definitely loved him.
Cockatoos are social creatures---even as a sick bird, he CLEARLY trusted you and you made him feel safe in his last days. He wanted to be with you and he wasn't alone during the worst of it. If you hadn't found him, he would have suffered so much more. He was comfortable and safe with you, which is so much better than the alternative...It would have been really bad if you hadn't found him.

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I almost found another cockatoo yesterday, He was on the side of the road struggling but flew off (badly) when I got out the car, I think he’d been hit by a car. I couldn’t see him in the tree so nothing I could do. 100 metres down the road I found a Duck with a broken wing.. also hit by a car. Popped him in a shopping bag and phoned the nice wildlife carer whom I always phone for advice. I was already planning on driving past her house so I took him there, Where he’d be in better hands. She offered for me to take home home to care for him but I said no. She’s hopeful that the break can heal as it’s not on a joint.
Tonight I pulled a family of 4 ducks off the road, all been hit and killed together. There was one remaining, limping beside them wondering why his family weren’t getting up :(. He flew off when I got out the car, so I couldn’t help him.
Humans are so destructive.

I’ve decided not to get a parrot anytime soon.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I think you probably will end up with them finding you based on your history lol---so Hannah may not plan on getting a parrot, but a parrot probably plans on getting a Hannah.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I almost found another cockatoo yesterday, He was on the side of the road struggling but flew off (badly) when I got out the car, I think he’d been hit by a car. I couldn’t see him in the tree so nothing I could do. 100 metres down the road I found a Duck with a broken wing.. also hit by a car. Popped him in a shopping bag and phoned the nice wildlife carer whom I always phone for advice. I was already planning on driving past her house so I took him there, Where he’d be in better hands. She offered for me to take home home to care for him but I said no. She’s hopeful that the break can heal as it’s not on a joint.
Tonight I pulled a family of 4 ducks off the road, all been hit and killed together. There was one remaining, limping beside them wondering why his family weren’t getting up :(. He flew off when I got out the car, so I couldn’t help him.
Humans are so destructive.

I’ve decided not to get a parrot anytime soon.

Very sorry to know you are deluged with such horror, destruction, and sadness. Few of us experience such grief first hand, deep respect for your continued caring and superhuman efforts. We are a rapacious species, thankfully the animals have Hannah as goodwill ambassador.

No doubt you need to decompress and contemplate before adopting a parrot. You'll know when the day arrives... and it may occur on fluffy wings.

Most Reactions