Getting a kitten!

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
"Apple" Yellow-sided Green Cheeck Conure
I've been researching birds and cats living together more, I haven't found a kitty yet (and am still undecided on whether I should get one) but in my quest for alternatives to declawing. I came across these! What does everyone think of this idea? Any experience with the nail caps?

Here's a site I found helpful Questions & Answers: Soft Paws for Cats

And images of what the caps look like, they come in a bunch of different colors too :)

I think they are ADORABLE and definitely effective. They stay on for a while but you will need to get your kittens toes and paws use to being handled. [emoji4]

I am also planning on adopting a kitty, he is 8 months old.

My previous cat did WONDERFULLY with my birds and always left them alone. He showed interest in them as a kitten but my green cheek quickly showed him who was boss. [emoji16] Only reason I ended up finding him a new home was because he was attacking my oldest son. He was so jealous of him.

Good luck in finding the perfect kittie!
8b66a955d1cb8992546db3e0997a3293.jpg

OP
Sunset_Chaser

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Gorgeous cat!! I'm not in a huge hurry, I want to find a sweet/gentle kitty that will hopefully get along and leave the birds alone :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianÒ€ℒs Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I would not let my cat outdoors in a dangerous situation, which is why he lives inside right now :)

Nail caps are effective and cute. My good friend uses them. I personally just clip Whiskeys nails every week.

Kenneling isn't cruel when done properly. My kitty goes happily into his crate and stays contentedly as long as we are in the room or as long as he feels like napping. Reward reward reward.

I highly suggest an older cat, a year old or older. First of all they tend to have a lower pray drive, second you can get a better idea of the adult personality, and third they are usually less likely to be adopted and more likely to be put down. Also, it gives you a ton of declawed kitties to choose from if you want without committing what I believe to be a violent assault on the cat.

Also... YOU BETTER SHARE PICS WHEN YOU GET ONE!!!!

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
I am sorry it seems you will not be getting that kitten. :(
Maybe it was meant to be, and there is a lovely kitty out there that is absolutely perfect for you!

Cleopatra, my cat, shows absolutely NO prey drives towards Kiko, but I would NEVER trust her, so I watch her with utmost care when he is in his cage, an she is never in the same room with him, when I let him out. (I have the door shut). However, she does show prey-drives to the little chickadees and finches outside, on the bird feeder. She sits and stares at them.

Nail caps sound like a great idea for an alternative to declawing. Many people declaw their cats because of furniture situations, and I feel for that reason, they should not own a cat if they plan on removing their claws for only that reason.

I am HIGHLY against declawing cats, and I have watched several long shows about the situation. Many people do not realize what happens after surgery, and for the years to come. Many times, the nails DO start to grow back, except they with impale their flesh at the top of their paws. The cats can be in constant pain that varies, for the rest of the life. They may develop arthritis, their behavior can change, they may become crippled, an often times, declawing solves no issues. I feel that so many people are not educated on the matter, and think that it is simply removing the claws for good, but do not understand that there are so many issues that can arise after they do so. I would never want to inflict my cat with harm for the rest of their poor life. Last year, I disagreed with declawing, because I thought that it was unnatural for the animal. But I never really knew that they could become crippled and permanently in pain. Lol, sorry! I just had to let it out just a little.

PS. That doesn't mean that cats that have been declawed cannot live happy lives with minimal pain, but chances are, they do.

Most Reactions