Getting medicine off face?

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Hi everybody,

So my baby was in last week to the CAV and ended up with some medications. Itā€™s inevitable that heā€™s going to end up with it all over his face because heā€™s so tiny and he tends to spit a little bit sometimes.

Does anyone have any good methods for removing medicine from the little feathers around the mouth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I guess the answer to this depends on what condition your baby is being medicated for? My cockatiel Fang is on daily medication for his chronic heart condition and usually ends up wearing some of his meds around his beak. As Fang's condition is not viral or bacterial I can shower him every second day or so using a misting bottle and I find plain old water works surprisingly well at cleaning him up. Perhaps just check with your vet as to whether or not bathing is a good idea right now given your baby's condition.

Wishing your little Stanley a full and speedy recovery from whatever it is that's ailing him!

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
I guess the answer to this depends on what condition your baby is being medicated for? My cockatiel Fang is on daily medication for his chronic heart condition and usually ends up wearing some of his meds around his beak. As Fang's condition is not viral or bacterial I can shower him every second day or so using a misting bottle and I find plain old water works surprisingly well at cleaning him up. Perhaps just check with your vet as to whether or not bathing is a good idea right now given your baby's condition.

Wishing your little Stanley a full and speedy recovery from whatever it is that's ailing him!

Well, Stanley is actually female, and heā€™s got a hormonal enlarged liver. So heā€™s on a few different meds for that at once. The issue is he hates bathing. He just wonā€™t do it no matter how I offer it, lol.

Thank you so much!!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I hope yiur baby fully recovers. What was he diagnosed with, and what is the medicine?
I use a q tip with water to pat of meds.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I hope yiur baby fully recovers. What was he diagnosed with, and what is the medicine?

We also use Q-tips, pre-wetting one side and using the dry side to remove larger bits. When dealing with a larger area, we use an eye-dropper to apply a larger volume of water and dry Q-tips to remove and clean the area.

Tend not to like showering as there is little control over, well, near everything, when one's Amazon goes into share the bath time.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico

Thank you! I can tell heā€™s already doing better. He (actually a she) was diagnosed with a hormonally enlarged liver. He received the depo shot and heā€™s taking 0.04ml Celebrex (30 days), 0.1ml Clavamox (14 days), 0.02ml Lamisil (21 days), 0.04ml MilkThistle/Dandelion/Ginger mixture (indefinite for now) twice a day. Heā€™s also getting 0.02ml of Melatonin in his water daily. Heā€™s drugged up pretty good, but is definitely showing major improvement!

Thank you Iā€™ll try that!

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico

We also use Q-tips, pre-wetting one side and using the dry side to remove larger bits. When dealing with a larger area, we use an eye-dropper to apply a larger volume of water and dry Q-tips to remove and clean the area.

Tend not to like showering as there is little control over, well, near everything, when one's Amazon goes into share the bath time.

Youā€™re the second person to mention Q-tips and Iā€™m wondering why I never though of that, lol. Iā€™ll have to see if I can find an eye dropper as well.

Aww, I miss having a bird that would share the shower! Jealous!

Most Reactions