gonna send my parakeet home to parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarvesh

Aug 9, 2015
buying this parakeet was one of the worst desicions of my life. i can't handle her anymore im going to send her to my parents. people should dissuade buying parakeets especially with mental illness they are just way too frustrating. conure and parakeet is night and day difference. conure accepted harrisons on first day i got him and he was eating seed/nut parrot blend at pet store. and he is more playful, isnt scared of me and is better in every single way. you get what you pay for. i dont want anyone else to make the same mistake and hopefully pet stores will reduce breeding more parakeets. and i tried more than my capacity to work with the parakeet but i cant take it anymore and she will be just as happy if not happier at my parents place. and after yesterday i have 0 regrets sending her to parents. i doubt she is even smart enough to process the difference between my place and my parents outside of her cage.

dont let the initial cost of conure be a factor and sway you into getting a parakeet. the amount of frustration avoided and the happiness enjoyed alone is worth the 400 bucks!

Last edited:

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
I wasn't going to post, cause it's hard to respond to this without just reacting.

However, I agree if you want a conure, you should not get a parakeet because it's cheaper.

A parakeet is an intelligent bird however. One which was not hand raised is going to be wild, just as a conure would be as well. It takes a lot of patience and time for a wild bird to come to trust you.

I am a little concerned with this post when I think about when the time comes that your conure goes through their hormonal stage. He may be a sweetie and you pass through it without a hitch, but chances are he will go through a bit of a monster phase which will require patience and training.

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
Wow, can't say I've ever heard the phrase "you get what you pay for" regarding an animal. I think if you were getting too frustrated with the parakeet that is was a good idea to rehome it, but please don't blame it on the birds intelligence. They are for more intelligent than most humans I know. The bird only reacts to the situations it is placed in, and I'm afraid if you had issues keeping a parakeet, then the new will wear off of the conure and be 10 times worse.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh boy!

Pardon me, and no, I won't hold back - not this time. :cool:

Budgies/parakeets can make AWESOME, LOVABLE, SWEET, SMART birds, just like any other parrot as long as the keeper has diligent patience and compassion to work with the bird.

There is no such bird as a 'beginner bird'.

Budgies deserve the same attention as any other companion parrot.

Lastly, I am THRILLED beyond words your little guy is going to be staying with your parents.

....and I don't care what anyone else thinks/says either. :rolleyes:

god damn it she didnt eat the pellets yesterday she was just eating seeds!! this bird has been nothing but frustration for me since the day i got her and now im glad i gave her another chance cus now i dont feel bad sending her home with my parents and i dont care what anyone else has to say!

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I agree with everything said above. But then again I believe EVERY animal deserves a chance, then a second one ,then a third, and so on and so on. Your budgie is in a better place, now you can focus on the issues at hand.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Here is an example of one of those way too frustrating parakeets who probably wouldn't even be "smart enough to process the difference" between your place and your parents'.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYcWA_RNl1s"]https://youtu.be/WYcWA_RNl1s[/ame]

Disco is currently one of the most prolific talkers in the world. Not just among parakeets, but parrots in general. You say you get what you pay for? I'd say you get what you put into them.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
For what it's worth, though, while I don't agree with your assessment of parakeets in general, I do agree with your decision to rehome her. Not everyone has the temperament for working with and training birds. Not a judgement. Just the truth. It is what it is. As you've said, given how frustrated you get with her, she'll likely be much happier with your parents.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I'm a parakeet ..bird to your mother!! I'm still smiling !! That's so cool, I've watched your video twice :32: that's just put me in an awesome mood.lthanx.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Birds are a long term, patient, commitment. Even when they are cranky we have to interact with them. If you don't, the relationship grows weaker.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
I'm a parakeet ..bird to your mother!! I'm still smiling !! That's so cool, I've watched your video twice :32: that's just put me in an awesome mood.lthanx.

You're most welcome! That's one of my favorite bird videos, ever! Cracks me up every time!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Here is an example of one of those way too frustrating parakeets.......
Disco is currently one of the most prolific talkers in the world. Not just among parakeets, but parrots in general. You say you get what you pay for? I'd say you get what you put into them.

So cool! I had always thought this was a fake! Wow wow wow!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I don't think the problem is with your budgie~ I think you need to lower your expectations of your feathered companion. Like others have said, you get out what you put in....even though you may have experience with conures, that next conure individual you get- may be more of a challenge than your last or even your budgie.

You point the finger at your bird saying he's the problem, but how many fingers are pointed back at you??

Last edited:

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
It took me 3 months to get my keets to eat veggies and 6 months to get to eat pellets. They still aren't very tame but they are smart.

They found the seed in Rexs cage 5 min after I broke quarantine. They also know plastic crinkling means food. Lol.

They also know if they come over I'll feed them treats.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Here is an example of one of those way too frustrating parakeets who probably wouldn't even be "smart enough to process the difference" between your place and your parents'.
https://youtu.be/WYcWA_RNl1s

WHAT?!?!? I honestly didn't think that was possible is that for real?!?!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986

https://youtu.be/WYcWA_RNl1s

WHAT?!?!? I honestly didn't think that was possible is that for real?!?!

Oh yes, Disco Budgie is the real thing! I was amazed myself.

Huey

Apr 1, 2013
South Carolina
Parrots
4 budgies- Huey,bigD,Skippy,Taco
1 lovebird
Sophie
I have 4 amazing parakeets. Each with their own distinctive personalities. People need to appreciate them for who they are and not compare them or force them into who they think they should be.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I know many people have different views when it comes to parrots - diet, wingclipping and even this.

I gotta be honest though, I do think that different birds have different challenges. Budgies are not stupid, by any means. In fact the world record for most words known is actually held by a budgie.

I think one of the biggest mistakes people make when purchasing a bird is - expectations. They 'expect' the bird to bond immediately, they expect it to do tricks and above all talk. I cannot tell you how much of a road to disappointment is in this case. When I take home a new bird - I have ZERO expectation. I actually 'observe' the bird for a few days to get an idea of they 'type' of personality he or she has and work with that. I've found that to be the most successful.

But I can't say all birds require the same level of experience. I just don't believe that. I cannot tell you how many sun conures I've heard of being re-homed or put up for sale because the owner 'can't deal with the noise etc'.

While budgies are every bit as intelligent as suns, I've not heard of a single case in which a budgie was re-homed because it was too loud or too demanding of attention.
I do believe in beginner birds, even though many here don't. It has nothing to do with intelligence. They are just easier to care for IMO. I just believe in providing people the most information, like I was by the store clerk. Given the re-homing horror stories I've heard about suns from others and the amount of them, I have to dissent from people here on that factor.

I imagine your original post was written when you were in a frustrated frame of mind. That being said, at least you are making the right decision in re-homing her.

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
I don't know, if you can't do a parakeet, is a conure a good idea? Conures are much more finicky with food. I make Lilo a huge salad of veggies and fruit and what does she eat? Her pellets. But that's ok. I know it took me a while to cook and prepare for her and then she ends up eating two bites. But the next day she prefers the salad. Patience is key with these little feathered jems! I will say, lucky keet, he gets to have a new home!

Last edited:

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
We've had an adopter reject a sweet blind cockatiel because it would be too demanding and needy....

And have had plenty of people dump budgies and cockatiels because they are too annoying to have around anymore. And yes the they are so demanding has been thrown around....I sit on the couch with my amazon practically up my butt when I listen to my mother answer some of these calls...so I have to roll my eyes on that reason when you get it for the small birds:p

Seriously, some of the surrender calls we get are incredibly horrible. So while I don't like your reasoning or mindset and I worry for your conure at least you are giving the budgie to someone who will care for it more than you instead of waiting until it is basically dead to give it to someone else. We just got a surrender call where this happened. Sick for three weeks and covered in its own poop, feet in horrible condition, so emaciated the vet isn't sure how it was still alive, living off sunflower seeds for over 20 years. The owner couldn't care less and wanted to delay the surrender because it wasn't a convenient time. The bird was surrendered at the shelter vets office. Even if it miraculously pulls through the chance of it living more than 6 months isn't high because of organ failure. The little yellow collared macaw is posted on A Helping Wings facebook page if anyone is interested in seeing her condition when she arrived. Honestly she isn't even the worst story out there obviously.

So yeah I think you need a different mindset because your conure is bound to be insanely frustrating at some point like all birds...you are still trying in your own way to make sure the budgie will live which is more than I can say for others out there. While I'm sure some of us want to whack you upside the head with something to knock some sense into you I hope you stick around the forums to absorb some of our info and patience with our own birds...

PS I hate budgies but can admit they are intelligent birds who are capable as learning as much as any of my own guys. Plus, converting diet is bang your head on the wall frustrating at times. Trust me I know...my amazon is just starting to eat everything I want him to after a year of arguing. You need patience and a crazy amount of stubbornness to outlast a parrot....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions