gonna send my parakeet home to parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Here is an example of one of those way too frustrating parakeets.......
Disco is currently one of the most prolific talkers in the world. Not just among parakeets, but parrots in general. You say you get what you pay for? I'd say you get what you put into them.

So cool! I had always thought this was a fake! Wow wow wow!

Totally agree with what you stated here, it's true. When I used to train dogs and had obedience classes, you could tell from week to week, who actually put into practice what they where taught in class. Consistent and patient training (from kids to animals) it always pays off.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Totally agree with what you stated here, it's true. When I used to train dogs and had obedience classes, you could tell from week to week, who actually put into practice what they where taught in class. Consistent and patient training (from kids to animals) it always pays off.
I was also a dog trainer. :) Same techniques used on dogs can be used on birds (it's just positive reinforcement) and I don't think people give dogs, or birds enough credit for how intelligent they really are.:D

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
This is something I just don't understand. I'm not sure I even want too. How do you replace a bird?

I've had Skittles for four years, he's 5. I didn't buy him to 'replace' Peaches or to get rid of her. I still have her and she is still receiving the SAME amount of care and attention as before. I'd actually say, probably even more since I can't get her to come out any more than she used too -despite trying too. But I don't force her. She has the run of her room if she chooses.

I will admit, she is part of the reason I got Skittles though. Not to replace her, but she is getting old (she's over 20yrs old) and she is showing her age. She's very unsteady on her feet and has a hard time 'grasping things'. I was getting lonely and it was becoming hard for me to not have her around me as much as I used too.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
????? All this, simply because she wouldn't eat pellets????

Whoa...

No, he made this decision 2 days after he bought his conure.

Reading that post made me physically sick to my stomach. That kind of attitude makes me afraid for any pet you own. Your poor budgie, thank goodness she is escaping you and your rediculous accusations.

When I rehomed Rio, it was not a decision I made lightly. It took me a year of going back and forth. Then when that day came, I was devastated. I cried a lot. I even made her new owner cry because I was so upset. Then when I read his other thread stating this 2 days from getting his conure and now this one, makes me frustrated.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I was also a dog trainer. :) Same techniques used on dogs can be used on birds (it's just positive reinforcement) and I don't think people give dogs, or birds enough credit for how intelligent they really are.:D

Cool, a fellow dog trainer! Yes, consiant positive reinforcement, along with gentsl correction. Dogs are amazing... I trained all breeds, but Doberman's were my breed. My Dobermans were awesome demo dogs in obedience and personal protection training. Competition was my life at one time. Many of my students who were afraid of Dobermans, went away with a new prospective of the breed. And when they took their training seriously, they went away with an awesome well trained dog of their own. :)

Training birds, is a little different, but the concept still applies.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Well, there are two different kinds of 're-homing'.

Re-homing a bird cause you can't care for it anymore OR because your life situation will make meeting their needs extremely difficult.

Re-homing a bird because it doesn't meet your expectations, is more like abandonment than re-homing to me.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I'm all for rehoming a bird under the right circumstances. Sometimes it is really the best thing for everyone involved. But a rant like this basically saying that budgies are garbage? Unacceptable.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
It would appear that the OP is no longer participating in this thread. As such, I believe it has run its course.

This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts