Gracie's falling mystery solved....

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Gracie started falling off her perch quite often and I started looking for another cage where she can be closer to the bottom where she won't hurt herself when she falls. Last night I held her over my head to check her closely and I immediately found the issue, her back toe of her right foot had a over grown nail that curled up and that was preventing her from standing, walking, etc. She had a hard time gripping so I clipped the curled toe nail and that took care of the issue, she's still holding up her foot but can walk on it fine now. I felt bad that I didn't notice it earlier. She's a trooper as she allowed me to clip all her nail except the overly curled one without using a towel. I had to restraint her with the curled one as it was hard to cut. I always check their nails but I guess I didn't look at the back toes closely enough....:(

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
No need to be upset, she's probably grateful that you've enabled her to perch properly again!

Have you got any 'sanding' perches? Could maybe avoid this scenario again :)

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
They've got concrete perch. I know she's grateful but she suffer through it for awhile before I figured it out. So I feel bad I didn't catch it earlier. She's all sweet now even though she just had her nails trimmed. JoJo attacked the clipper like no tomorrow...

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I was really surprised how easy it is to nail clip my Ekkies without a visit to the vet, usually I can't do it by myself. My partner refuse to hold them for me to clip so it was better going into the vets to do it. I did both ekkies by myself in less then 5 min each ekkie. I'm just happy that I finally fixed the issue that was causing the problem. :)

Most Reactions