Green Cheeck bobs head when back is stroked

ParagonGreeny

Oct 17, 2013
Hi Guys im new here but i was just wondering is that normal for a green cheek? i think it looks cute when he does that if you notice in the video at the bottom he also gets a twitch in his wing, he never used to like being touched much but i think that's is because i had no room for him here for a few years so he was at my nannas until a few months ago, when someone clicks their tongue he stands up high and moves his head side to side like he is dancing or something, not sure if that's cos he likes the sound or hates it, he is 4 years old now, don't really know much about green cheeks as i have only had a budgie before him. here is the video of him getting his back stroked [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGQTU5BPzm4]Green-Cheek Conure loves his back stroked. - YouTube[/ame]

ZoeS

Oct 4, 2011
I think possibly you are turning him on ;) Back stroking is a sexual thing for them - I stick to head / cheeks / neck.

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
I think you are stimulating him.

OP
P

ParagonGreeny

Oct 17, 2013
So best to stay away from that area then? he has been trying to get my dad to stroke him like that often during the past couple of weeks.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If you want an animal you can pet on the back, you get a dog or a cat.

When you do that to a bird, you are essentially giving mixed signals! It can cause excessive hormones (a bird that is hormonal year round is not good!), one person birds (birds attack other people) and potentially some other not so great behaviors. A lot of people don't realize what they are doing! We can't mate with our birds. We can't have offspring with them and raise them. Our birds should not think of us as their mates.

Here's one good article that talks about appropriate handling.

RP - Mating

Of course, not being our birds mate goes even further in-depth! From places where the birds can or can't be, to activities that are and are not ok, even to how we feed them!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
i think possibly you are turning him on ;) back stroking is a sexual thing for them - i stick to head / cheeks / neck.

yep. I second...

Most Reactions