Green cheek conure bronzing feathers

ManuIki

Oct 15, 2015
Honolulu
Parrots
Pepe is a turquoise green-cheeked conure, born May 22, 2015. We (husband and I) also call him "Manu Iki" (Hawaiian for "Little Bird").
He was on some kind of crap food at petsmart with lots of seeds before I got him, and the second I introduced him to pellets (roudybush) he got very excited and now likes to rub his face in them enthusiastically before he eats.

I totally get that; I do the same thing with Haagen Dazs Vanilla Swiss Almond ice cream.:32:

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Mochi had a bit of bronzing down her back and across her wings when she was bought. Since then (June), after switching to a diet of fruit, Zupreem, and Goldenfeast (and since molting vigorously) her old feathers have dropped and been replaced by brighter, more colorful ones, with no bronzing or black spots. The few spotted/speckled feathers that remain stand out all the more because of their contrast against the un-spotted surrounding feathers.

ceegull

Nov 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Sun conure and a Green cheek conure
Are conures feet meant to be dark grey in colour? The feet look abit too pinkish to me, I'm just wondering if my conures feet being darker in colour are a bad thing. Edit. I am replying to the photos of the sun conure on page 1.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Mochi's feet are pink'ish. I'd read or heard somewhere that you can sort of tell gender by feet color (grey for boys, pink for girls), but not sure how much stock to put in that.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@ceegull By pictures, I'm assuming you mean the ones of Skittles? His feet actually look better in the right pic (pink) than the left (gray)

@Mochi I wouldn't put much stock in that at all. Since Skittles DNA says he's male. LOL

asagiyuu

Jan 1, 2018
California
Parrots
Yellow sided conure, Hana, hatched 10/10/17
My GCC is also bronzing a little bit. I got her from a breeder and she's on a zupreem pellet diet supplemented with a bean cuisine and veggie mix. She eats well, so can wear and tear can also rub off the pigment on the feathers? She's always wanting to cuddle in my hands and she rubs all over me so I'm wonder if the oils from my skin can also contribute to bronzing. Should I take her to a vet for a wellness check up or wait for her first molt ?

SandieV

Sep 5, 2019
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I recently purchased Rin and he seems to be doing really well, but on the slender side with light bronzing. They told me to feed him Zupreem "pebbles", which is mixed with the Zupreem that contains some seeds. I don't see him eating the pebbles part. I feed him fruits and veggies too, but he is pretty picky. If I move him over to the Harrison's pellets will he eat them? I don't want him to loose more weight in the meantime, but want to make sure I am giving him the healthiest diet that I can. Thanks:greenyellow:

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts