green cheek conure not sleeping in cage

MelaniAlper

May 15, 2020
Hello again! i just had a quick question my 2 green cheek conurses arent sleeping in their cage at night, its a habbit they have picked up while being with a different owner.
i havent found much information about it on the intenet but i wanted to ask if i should trein them to sleep in thier cage or let them be? does that change thier behvior by letting them sleep whereever they want?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If they are not in a sleep cage, they should be in a cage that is either covered or in a mostly dark room without many noises. They need a bare minimum of 10 hours of sleep, so things like walking by the cage repeatedly, talking loudly etc can wake them up and keep them from getting the sleep they need (in theory)...Even if you cover them and put them to bed, they will not sleep as soundly and get that 10 if you are keeping them up (and you won't necessarily know because they will often sit fairly still in a dark cage, even if they aren't sleeping well).

They need to sleep in a cage---a set space...Not "wherever they want"...That could be their regular cage (if the room is conducive to sleep, or a sleep cage).

Since you have conures and you sound new to this, I want to emphasize how important it is that you allow your bird to sleep on the perch and NOT provide any snuggle huts/tents/hammocks. They are very dangerous and they are also hormonal triggers. They are totally unnecessary. Also, they must be in a cage of some sort-- not out in the open.

Last edited:
OP
M

MelaniAlper

May 15, 2020
Thank u so much for the replay!
ill make sure to put them in the cage for the night and cover the cage!
thank u for the info! :))

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Thank u so much for the replay!
ill make sure to put them in the cage for the night and cover the cage!
thank u for the info! :))

Most birds are fine with covers, but be aware, if you never have covered yours, some birds can have night frights if startled in the darkness (and fly into things). Cockatiels do this a lot, but conures can too. Larger birds tend to hold and flap, rather than flying and letting go...so if you cover, just be aware of this. I cover mine and I always covered smaller birds too (without issue), but it can be scary for some, so I just wanted to put that out there. An alternative is a dark room with a nightlight or something.

Make sure you cover with breathable fabric that isn't heavily scented with fabric softener or anything like that.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Cages are so much safer for parrots when unsupervised, unless in strictly "bird proofed" room. Perhaps a special treat to entice entry to cage for sleep?

Most Reactions

Latest posts