Green cheek problems and saliva concern

bamboo1320

Jan 7, 2021
I have a 9 month old green cheek conure who is about 2.5 weeks old and just had a few questions and concerns about it. A few days ago and today I saw my youngest brother put his lips against the cage and Archie nibbled on it and my brother then put his tongue in between the cage and Archie licked it. I told my brother to not do it again and he's not allowed near the bird today and needs to promise not to do it again. I am really worried because I know human saliva or mammal saliva in general is dangerous to birds.

Another thing is his behavior. There is 6 of us in my family and Archie seems to get along with everyone but my dad but that can be explained bc my dad hasn't spent much time near the bird. As for the other 5 he is starting to get scared of me I think. When I go near the cage he like retreats to the middle but when my other brothers and sister comes he lets them scratch him etc. He only lets me scratch at night or in the early morning. However, this was just an observation I don't forcefully go up to him to scratch his head. When I need to move him out of his cage he used to be calm with me now he tucks his body under the perch. I sometimes move him to clean his cage. Any ideas why? He tries to bite my brothers but he comes onto me when I need him to not bc he wants to anymore.

I know he's like 2.5 weeks old but any tips?I just had a wellness check and he's doing great just needs a little more nutrition so I was given vitamin powder/supplement.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi and welcome. The thing with parrots, it's all about trust. They have to trust the human being to only bring GOOD THINGS. Because you are apprently the one who actually takes care of him, feeding, changing his papers, cleaning his cage and taking him to the vet, and maybe putting him back in his cage at night(?), he has reason to perhaps have less trust in you, than the other members of the family, who only engage with him with good things like scratches. I suggest that you are THE provider of any treats, to try and win his affections back, which does work with parrots ( who have a hole directly from their stomachs to their heart and brains). Bribes do work! I would also figure out how to get him back in the cage, or out, without any hand grabbing, which is a huge trust buster.

Have you figured out his very favorite treat yet - the one he LOVES above all else? Do that and your job is going to be much easier. For my parrot, its small slices of pine nuts ( piggnoli nuts).

OP
B

bamboo1320

Jan 7, 2021
Got it thank you! I haven’t found a treat that he loves the most. He does like seeds and millet but he gets a little bit every day along with his veggies and fruit. When I meant by grabbing I meant like he runs around his cage and once I get my finger close to him he hops on but I assume same principle applies.

Also, do you have any idea about the saliva problem?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You are right to tell your brother NOT to do this. Humans have gram negative bacteria in their systems naturally, and parrots do not. A bird can be okay when exposed if they have the proper immunity at the time, but def not something to allow.

Most Reactions