Green Ring neck advice!

screamin

Nov 10, 2011
Wolverhampton, UK
Parrots
Green ring necked
Hi my first real post here!

I have just taken on this beautiful female ring neck, she is about 18 months and we have had her for one week now. She has taken to me very well i can put my had up to the cage and her pupils go small and she chucks very softly and allows me to pet her! Great! Love it! But she wants to get out constanlty and bribes us by talking when we move away from the cage. I can take her out fine but then she gets very violent and bites like mad! We are not sure of what has happened in her past and would now love some advice on taming her when she is out of the cage. I have allowed her out today but not off the top of the cage and started to practise some commands taking it back to basics as if she were a baby is this the right way to go?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I have a few suggestions that may or may not help. Please avoid putting your hands in the cage as she may be cage possessive. Put a perch on the inside of the door and then open the door so she can come out on her own. We do not pet birds like dogs or cats. Usually just a head scratch is enough when they lower their heads. Allow the bird to make choices of what she wants and does not want to do. Remember companion birds are really not pets, they are still wild creatures and this is one of the many endearing feature about them.

She is still young and may be very frightened in her new environment. Go slow no matter what you are doing.

Last edited:

Hochimama

May 5, 2011
Malaysia
Parrots
{used to have} Fisher LoveBird, PeachFace Lovebird, Albino Indian RingNeck {used to have}
Maybe dont let her out first .. let her get use to the surrounding environment first. Then slowly built bond and confident.. whenever she obeys a command .. you can reward her too ..

Most Reactions