Greetings

LakeDesire

Sep 27, 2012
Media
Seattle
Parrots
Jade (Nanday Conure, 20),
Henry (Red-Crowned Amazon, ~15), Joey and Sophie (Congo African Greys, ~17)
I have been posting on this forum for a little over a week now and realized I never introduced myself.

I have a 16 year old nanday conure named Jade. My parents got her for me when I turned 12. I was OBSESSED with parrots during my whole childhood, and followed my parents around chanting "iwantabirdiwantabirdiwantabird" for years. I started a parrots newsletter for kids on AOL that had a hundred subscribers and I even had a letter to the editor in Bird Talk magazine about my club. That finally convinced my parents to let me get a bird--and Jade came into my life!

I grew up and went to college, and Jade stayed home with my parents and feather plucked (she also lost an eye to a foster cat shortly before I left). Jade came to live with me this summer because I finally had a set of housemates who like animals. I am trying to undo a lot of her bad habits she got while she lived with my parents. They didn't mistreat her, but didn't really want to be stuck with their kids pets when their kids grew up, so Jade only came out a few times a week for her bath. She's a bit scared to come out of her cage and takes a lot of coaxing. I'm weaning her off seeds and clicker training her and she's overall doing a lot better, although the vet says she is losing her eye sight awfully young. She'd adjusting well to having housemates, and although she favors me, she'll even tolerate others holding her--when she wants!

I've been looking into getting a second bird now that I am an adult and can do what I want. :cool::rolleyes:

OP
LakeDesire

LakeDesire

Sep 27, 2012
Media
Seattle
Parrots
Hi! How is Codie doing?

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Hello, welcome to the forum. Are you going to get a amazon? I saw your other thread.

OP
LakeDesire

LakeDesire

Sep 27, 2012
Media
Seattle
Parrots
Thank you! We are considering adopting a rehomed amazon and/or a second conure.

Most Reactions