Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
YAYYY!!!! Great pics!!!! The first 4 photos look like Venus when she is not happy, lol! Great job in getting her to wear her harness. Venus will have to start wearing hers, no more harness free trips outside, lol. Great job!!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Maya is stunning. I especially love the blue "eyeshadow" around her eyes. I would love to harness train Dexter, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. He's not in a very patient phase right now, so I would not start right away. But it would be great to do the initial introductory steps over the winter and hope to be able to bring him for an outside adventure by spring. Can you share your sources on training info?

Thank you! Yeah, that blue eye shadow gets me, too! It's like an exclamation point on those bright colors of hers.

The introduction is so tricky with that harness! I think that the most important thing is to go at your bird's pace. (With some encouragement of course.) Pushing too hard too fast just makes them shut down.

As for training info, I did give my process earlier in the thread. That was influenced quite a bit by the DVD that actually came with the Aviator Harness. But I added some bits that seemed to make the process easier.

The main thing is consistency. I found that my biggest obstacle was getting discouraged and putting the training off. Working on it every day, even with baby steps, is definitely worth it.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Well done!! Oh that's really inspiring, I have to get working on this. Any suggestions on what to look for in a harness, recommendations, or are they all pretty much made the same?

I chuckled when I saw the dents in your hand, I can always tell if Pebbles is nervous, by how tight she holds on.

Cheers,

Camo

Thanks, Cameron!

The harness I use for Maya is the Aviator Harness, and it's the best that I've seen thus far. In my opinion, at least. Hardy materials, and the bird's safety is a major consideration. The elastic type material, for instance, keeps them from being jerked to a halt when reaching the end of their tether. I wish the opening for the head was a little bigger, but I suppose that's the size considered most secure.

Yes, though their grips are generally less vise-like than other parrots of comparable size, they can really clamp down when they're afraid!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
YAYYY!!!! Great pics!!!! The first 4 photos look like Venus when she is not happy, lol! Great job in getting her to wear her harness. Venus will have to start wearing hers, no more harness free trips outside, lol. Great job!!

Thanks, Tracey!

Yeah, I'd imagine Venus' days without a harness are over. Has she managed to get any lift, yet?

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)

Thanks, Tracey!

Yeah, I'd imagine Venus' days without a harness are over. Has she managed to get any lift, yet?

She did today! I was so surprised.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Sweet! How far did she get?

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
That is so great !!!! I know what a big deal this is. I have 2 that I can get them on with. Its such a great feeling to be able to have them enjoy things without the carrier. Amazing what they can get used to . Shes beautiful!!! I only have 2 of the male Ekkies . Hear their different than the females.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Thank you!

Which two can you get into harnesses? Do you take them out like that often?

Female ekkies are different from the males, but not quite in the way they're made out to be. They just have a different role in nature, and that manifests itself more prominently, in some ways, than does that of a male ekkie. You know?

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I was able to get my 12 year old GW Macaw Ruby in one this summer . Which is a big deal ! We have really built are relationship . She used to want to eat me ;) Ive had her 3 years and had always wanted to try. I thought she would chew through it. You should see what she did to the syringe when I tried to give her medicine once. I also put my baby Blue and Gold Moose in one hes 6 months now [babies are great]. I take them to my kids soccer games.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Nice! Do you alternate, or take both?

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
The harness I use for Maya is the Aviator Harness

Oh good, that is the one I have been considering. They seem to suggest Medium size for Eclectus parrots, is that the size you got (figured it would be good to ask before ordering).

Cheers,

Cameron

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Yep! That's the one! Fair warning. When it comes and you see the size of the head loop, you're going to swear you should've gotten the large. Hahaha! But maybe a more conveniently sized head loop wouldn't be quite secure enough.

The video is kind of long, but I thought it was worth watching.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Yep! That's the one! Fair warning. When it comes and you see the size of the head loop, you're going to swear you should've gotten the large. Hahaha! But maybe a more conveniently sized head loop wouldn't be quite secure enough.

The video is kind of long, but I thought it was worth watching.

I got a shock. I got medium for both Venus and Buddy. Buddy's a year before I ordered Venus'. Yes the head loop is small! Venus is very fat bodied, Buddy is lean. Venus is wider and has 50 grams on Buddy. Believe it or not, the medium is perfect for both of them. The only offense, Buddy doesn't like purple LOL! Buddy's is red, I don't mix the two.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)

Thanks, Tracey!

Yes! I was shocked! She got lift, enough to cover 10 - 12 ft, landing beautifully. Which is happy and scary at the same time. I started today with calling her. So far so good with her walking to me lol. Based on her landing, I believe she has and was able to fly before and was very proficient at it. More to come definitely.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
If only my Maya would fly. Well... for reasons other than fear or extreme impatience. Hahaha!

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Beautiful! And congrats!! :D

I had gotten Jasper into his harness completely (just inside my apartment) but then he started to molt and I haven't been able to since. If his molt ever finishes I'll try again!

So nice to see her outside :)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
Nice! Do you alternate, or take both?
Ha Ha i dont know if I could take both :) The Blue and Gold is much smaller and fits nicely on my shoulder . For some reason I dont think I have much of a shoulder ;) . My GW I have been told is way larger than the normal size ones . She has to go on my arm. I have have 3 Macaws . I wish I could do all 3 [I bet Birdmann could :)] something to work towards next year. Of course my kids would die .I have 2 girls 12 and 15 that everything is mortifying to them LOL :)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
I know they die now with me walking in with one :) Even better when they start yelling cause the crowd is cheering LOL

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Beautiful! And congrats!! :D

I had gotten Jasper into his harness completely (just inside my apartment) but then he started to molt and I haven't been able to since. If his molt ever finishes I'll try again!

So nice to see her outside :)

Thanks, Katie!

Yes, I remember how far you'd gotten with his harness training before the molting kind of waylaid things.

He's still molting?!? Is it a Mojo molt? Those take FOREVER!

Most Reactions

Latest posts