OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
...I have 2 girls 12 and 15 that everything is mortifying to them LOL :)

Hahahahahaha! Yep, that sounds about right. At those ages, there is precious little parent-related that isn't considered either embarrassing or downright mortifying. ROTFL!

Have you taken any updated pics of your flock lately, Terri?

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I have to work on that [with pictures]. I got a new phone and thats where the great pictures are . Have to get them on the computer :)

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I have to work on that [with pictures]. I got a new phone and thats where the great pictures are . Have to get them on the computer :)

Looking forward to seeing the pics once everything gets sorted.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Stephen, how on earth did I miss this thread?!?
Go Maya!!! She looks absolutely stunning out there in the sunlight!
Have you had her out anymore?

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Thank you, Terr!

I haven't had her outside since, unfortunately, as that was one of the last days warm enough to do so. At least, where I wasn't stuck working late or something.

But I've been putting the harness on her regularly to keep it fresh in her mind. REALLY looking forward to next Spring!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Stephen, just now caught this thread! Good job Maya. Wow, she is so beautiful... get ready for people to stop you and ask "is it real?" LOL!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Thank you, Jules!

Hahahahahaha! It'll be worth it to finally get to go out regularly with one of my parrots. (Jolly is not cooperating just yet. But he'll get there.)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Nice pics, Patti! Both Moose and Ruby are beautiful!

And you're right. If you weren't even able to touch Ruby, before, then the fact you can get a harness on her is a huge deal! How long did it take to get her comfortable with it?

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
We worked on our relationship for a year. Then when her x large harness came in the mail . I took her in the bathroom and put it on her :)

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
On the first shot? Most impressive!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
I envisioned her taking it ,snipping it off with her beak and throwing it across the room !! LOL

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Stephen, when I had my female ekkie she was so gentle and tolerant that although she didn't like me touching her, she allowed me to put a harness on her from the get go, no practice. She also "tolerated" me hugging her close at times, although if birds could make facial expressions you bet she'd have been making one of displeasure lol.

Then there's Robin just the opposite. I can cuddle and him anywhere, and enclose my hands on his whole body, yet just show him a harness and he's ready to freak out!

kellycraig125

Mar 12, 2015
Alabama
Parrots
I have a 6 month old female Eclectus named Lucy
So awesome. I am going to start harness training my girl and am nervous. Happy to see a "sucess" story. :)

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Thank you!

The key is to take it slow. As Julie's (RavensGryf) example illustrated, some take to it quite easily and others act like you're trying to choke the life out of them.

You can't control how your bird will initially take it, but you can control the pace at which you proceed. Just watch your girl's body language. You'll see when she's ready to proceed to the next step. Don't go too fast, even if it means only putting the largest loop of the harness on and off of her head for weeks or even months at a time.

It's hard to wait, but the payoff is so worth it.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Baxter has been making progress with the harness, as well. We've been taking it very slow.

Now he puts his head through the correct loop without any fuss (of course, he is reaching for a pine nut, but I figure that's okay). Just today I was able to get the harness under both his wings and he didn't really fuss at it much.

I'm working on extending the time between pine nuts so he understands more that he has to wear this thing and he won't be getting a pine nut ever few seconds.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Baxter has been making progress with the harness, as well. We've been taking it very slow.

Now he puts his head through the correct loop without any fuss (of course, he is reaching for a pine nut, but I figure that's okay). Just today I was able to get the harness under both his wings and he didn't really fuss at it much.

I'm working on extending the time between pine nuts so he understands more that he has to wear this thing and he won't be getting a pine nut ever few seconds.

Nice, Shawna!

Believe me, Maya still requires a nut incentive to stick her head through the proper loop, too. Hahaha!

If you've gotten to the point where you're able to get the harness under both wings, you're pretty much there. Most of the rest is just training yourself to fasten the straps as quickly and efficiently as possible. That's the part of the process that has tried Maya's patience on occasion.

Most Reactions

Latest posts