Handfeeding Formula

KyAngel1975

May 14, 2015
Grayson,Ky
Parrots
Cockatiel named Ruby Doo and a Blue and Gold Macaw! His name is Mango and he is our baby! ❤️
Hello, I have quite a problem here and I was hopeing for some advice. My Blue and Gold Mango turned 1 March 27. He is bornovirus positive. He seems healthy and happy but he refuses to wean. I have him on InTune baby macaw formula which is definitely doing its job! Mango is obese. The doctor said he is probably late weaning due to his bornovirus. Not sure if that's true or not because I've talked to others who had the same problem. He comes to us begging to eat and I feel so bad refusing him. Is there a low fat, low calorie handfeeding formula out there? I need to have him lose weight asap. Thanks in advance for any replies. I also don't want to stress him out, he is going through his first big molt.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Usually I would suspect the opposite would be true given what he's tested positive for. Not sure why he'd be overweight or not weaning. Don't have any suggestions other than it may be psychological at this point.

But a bornavirus positive bird should be quarantined from other birds in my opinion... The letters PDD come immediately to mind!

Avian Bornavirus

OP
KyAngel1975

KyAngel1975

May 14, 2015
Grayson,Ky
Parrots
Cockatiel named Ruby Doo and a Blue and Gold Macaw! His name is Mango and he is our baby! ❤️
Psychological I'm thinking too. Because if we leave the house which he really hates and we come back home he starts begging for food immediately. It's comforting to him I'm sure. Ughhh just don't know how to stop it. The formula is calorie dense so that is probably why he is overweight. He loves to eat and sample what we are eating but he picks at it doesn't swallow it and if he does swallow it he acts like he is panicking because it feels different than the formula going down. Ughhh we have our hands full but we love him so much!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thin out the formula? I think he will eventually self wean, the PPD may be a factor why he is taking so long.

Most Reactions