Health took turns for the worse

OP
N

noribirds

Aug 16, 2020
Parrots
Ahmad (cockatiel), Kulfi & Barfi (IRNS)
The only time I get to update this thread is when Iā€™m going to or coming back from the vet. My days are getting busier but Vet visits are still going on. Kulfi seemed to be improving up until 2 days ago but I feel like weā€™re going back to square one. 2 days ago after her steam inhalation she seemed to have really strained breathing so I stopped giving her steam inhalation. The doc said that maybe the bronchodilator is not suiting her. Nasal discharge and eye dischargee is back around both nose and eyes. The doc said that her crop is not inflammed and that maybe the food is being stored and taken at a slower rate because sheā€™s sick. She got 2 new meds to add to list yesterday, one being an eyedrop because she constantly wants to scratch her eyes and is losing feathers all around both her eyes and the one is metaflam to be given orally. So weā€™re stopping the bronchodilator and Iā€™ll be nebulising her at home too instead.

This morning her nose was blocked by the discharge and her left eye seems to have a transparent layer over it with discharge underneath the eye.

I honestly donā€™t know what to do anymore. Iā€™ve been searching and asking around for people whose birds have had or have psittacosis and it seems that not a lot of birds have it or that if they did, they didnā€™t survive. I donā€™t even want to think about the possibility but Iā€™m losing hope and wondering if Iā€™m doing enough. Because it feels like Iā€™m not doing enough. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to forgive myself if anything happens to her but I also donā€™t know what else to do. Her weightā€™s not coming up, she still breathes through her mouth, tail bobbing going on, the nasal discharge seems to be getting worse....My mom keeps telling me to pray and believe in God and that sheā€™ll be okay soon but Iā€™m just scared. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to handle if anything happens to her and I know that her mate, Barfi will not take it well too. Heā€™s extremely obsessively attached to her and he screams his lungs out when I take her for vet visits and only calms down when I come back home and he sees her. Anyone tries being affectionate with her, he screams, she shows the slightest bit of distress, he screams, sheā€™s apart from him, he screams. And itā€™s not any type of screaming, he screams like heā€™s in AGONY. Barfi hates humans, wants us all to go extinct but tolerates us for the sake of Kulfi. It is okay for me if he does not like human contact because I had a rescue ringneck before Kulfi and Barfi who was old and he never let us touch him because he was abused in the past.

Anyway, I think Iā€™m rambling because Iā€™m lost and stressed and I know my vet is doing his absolute best too. I just donā€™t know what to do anymore.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If your bird has psittacosis, I am a bit surprised you haven't gotten it. Have you had any symptoms?
Does Barfi have it too?
It's pretty contagious from what I understand, which is why I am confused that you or the other bird haven't gotten it. It's possible that Barfi is a latent carrier I suppose...so maybe he just isn't showing symptoms.

I'm really sorry you are going through all of this...
How did he diagnose the psittacosis (did he actually test for it)?
I wish I could help...I cannot imagine the stress you are under.

On an unrelated note, I like the theme you have going on with their names. I though kulfi was a coincidence until I saw barfi too.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Noodles, people can get fir sure, but really most people donā€™t. I had to take care of sick birds with this I didnā€™t get. When Shine the cockatiel has this his owner didnā€™t get it either. BTW if yiu can link Shines thread? Shine was so sick I didnā€™t think he would survive but he did!!

Itā€™s a pretty common cause of upper respiratory infection in burds. My Avian veterinary friend sees this pretty often..

Noribirds, I know youā€™ve got a sick bird, and itā€™s so hard to go through that. He is getting oral doxycycline or injectable as well as the inhaler treatment? It does
He take a while to get better, sometimes they seem worse st first... or backsliding. Yours is not the sickest bird Iā€™ve seen with this. I really believe he will recover.

It is very important to support him with food. He needs food that has vitamin A in it. I dint know what his diet is? But foods like cooked sweet potatoes, cooked butternut squash , if he will eat carrots better cooked then try that, also hot chili peppers, the red ones seem very liked , Yiu can cook and purƩe veggies and serve over a little pasta or fresh cooked rice to your parrot. Rice that sits in the fridge can start growing be bacteria and stuff in a few hours, so burds she only be served freshly made rice. Or

Because if the antibiotics, your burd natural flora will be out of balance. Your doctor will need to monitor fir yeast over growth, or a secondary fungal infection..

To help naturally to prevent this. Feed a teaspoon of live culture yogurt with no artificial sweeteners every day, or every other day till meds are done. Itā€™s safe , itā€™s in the parrot approves lust, and I have done this. It can also help sick burds on antibiotics feel better,

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Chlamydophilosis in Birds
By Rick Axelson, DVM
Infectious Diseases, Medical Conditions, Zoonosis & Human Health, Pet Services
General Information
Chlamydophilosis, also called "psittacosis", "chlamydiosis" or "Parrot Fever", is a reasonably common disease of birds. It can occur in any bird but is especially common in cockatiels, Amazon parrots and budgerigars (often referred to incorrectly as parakeets.) The disease can cause chronic infections, asymptomatic infections or sudden death. The disease can also be transmitted to people. It is not associated with the venereal form of Chlamydophila that affects people.
What causes chlamydophilosis?
Chlamydophilosis is caused by an organism called Chlamydophila psittaci (or C. psittaci). This organism was recently renamed, and used to be called Chlamydia psittaci. This organism shares similarities with viruses and bacteria, but is different enough to be classified within its own special group. Like a virus, but unlike many bacteria, it lives right inside the cells of the bird, which makes it difficult to kill with treatment.
What are some common signs of chlamydophilosis in birds?chlamydophilosis-1
Chlamydophilosis can cause many different clinical signs, and therefore should be suspected in any sick bird. In general, birds with chlamydophilosis exhibit a decreased appetite, weight loss, lethargy, wet droppings, nasal discharges, shivering and breathing difficulties. C. psittaci may affect some or all of a bird's organ systems, most commonly the liver, spleen, respiratory tract and digestive tract. Commonly, chlamydophilosis causes chronic respiratory (sneezing, runny eyes or nose) or gastrointestinal signs (change in droppings).
"Some birds can carry Chlamydophila psittaci asymptomatically."
Classically, chlamydophilosis causes lime green or yellow feces and urates (the normally solid white part of the droppings) due to Chlamydophila infection of the liver. However, this is not seen all the time, and other diseases can also cause these discolored droppings. Some birds can carry Chlamydophila psittaci asymptomatically, which means they carry the infection, spread it to other birds (and people), but are not sick themselves. This is a good reason for testing all birds for chlamydiosis.
How is chlamydophilosis diagnosed?
"In sick birds, faster results can be obtained by checking the feces."
Several tests are available for diagnosing chlamydophilosis. Blood tests can usually tell if your bird is infected, even if it is not sick. Sick birds can have their feces checked for the organism as well; however, this test will be negative if the bird is infected but is not actively shedding the organism at the time of the sample collection. As a rule, most healthy birds are checked by one of the available blood tests. In sick birds, faster results can be obtained by checking the feces. Finally, special tests can be performed on the liver, spleen, heart, and air sacs of birds that have died to check for a C. psittaci infection.
How is chlamydophilosis treated?
"After the 45-day treatment, the bird must be retested for C. psittaci to make sure the treatment was effective."
Treatment is usually with oral or injectable doxycycline antibiotic. Since the doxycycline only kills the Chlamydophila organisms when they are active and dividing, and the organisms may become dormant, or cease being active for a period of time, the drug must be used for a minimum of 45 days. Since doxycycline often predisposes birds to yeast infections, your bird should also take an anti-yeast drug called nystatin during the treatment. After the 45-day treatment, the bird must be retested for C. psittaci to make sure the treatment was effective.
Can chlamydophilosis affect humans?
Yes! C. psittaci can be passed from bird to bird as well as from bird to human, usually by inhaling or ingesting contaminated fecal matter or dust. In humans, it often causes respiratory disease with chills, fever, the sweats, possible headache, fatigue, muscle pain, inappetence, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and a dry cough. It can be like a flu that does not go away. If you think you might have this problem, seek help from your own medical doctor and tell your doctor that you own a bird and chlamydophilosis is a possibility.
Contributors: Rick Axelson, DVM

Find a Local VCA
We're here for you and your pet in 43 states.
FIND A HOSPITAL
x
Free shipping on prescription refills, pet food and more!
Shop Now
Why VCA
Contact Us
Press Center
Careers
AdChoices
Sell My Hospital
Search
Emergency
Logo for VCA Animal Hospitals

Ā©Copyright VCA Hospitals all rights reserved.
Privacy Policy

Terms and Conditions
Web Accessibility

Cookies Settings

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (ā™€)
You could also try syringe feeding/spoon feeding EmerAid Intensive Care Omnivore. I haven't used it myself since I just learned about it, but it's supposed to be excellent for critically ill animals.

I'm surprised your other IRN isn't being medicated as well. I'd talk to your vet about medicating him in case he's asymptomatic. Also, just putting it out there on the off chance it isn't psittacosis. Sounds like it could possibly be avian pox as well. According to Parrot Secrets:

"Avian poxvirus infection is the most common and the deadliest viral disease contracted by Budgies. All Budgie species are susceptible to it and it causes total damage. In most cases, Budgies exhibit the wet form of pox in which the mucous membranes of the eyes, mouth, gullet, crop and upper and lower respiratory systems are affected. Biting insects can spread the disease or direct contact with infected birds or contaminated surfaces may aggravate the painful condition. Pox in Budgies is highly contagious and spreads rapidly through a susceptible group."

"The mortality rate of birds infected with Budgie pox is usually high and those which survive, carry the marks, both external and internal, for life. Scars in the form of de-pigmentation and distortions on the roof of the mouth and eyelids, corneas, nostrils and areas of lamination on the beak are quite common. The Budgie, otherwise one of nature's prime beauties, is scarred and nobody feels more about it than the Budgie itself. If you bond well with your Budgie, you will be able to feel its depression. It may not be happy again."

Oh, I think with psittacosis you also have to completely disinfect their cage, toys, surroundings, etc., at least once a day. Have you been doing that?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The only time I get to update this thread is when Iā€™m going to or coming back from the vet. My days are getting busier but Vet visits are still going on. Kulfi seemed to be improving up until 2 days ago but I feel like weā€™re going back to square one. 2 days ago after her steam inhalation she seemed to have really strained breathing so I stopped giving her steam inhalation. The doc said that maybe the bronchodilator is not suiting her. Nasal discharge and eye dischargee is back around both nose and eyes. The doc said that her crop is not inflammed and that maybe the food is being stored and taken at a slower rate because sheā€™s sick. She got 2 new meds to add to list yesterday, one being an eyedrop because she constantly wants to scratch her eyes and is losing feathers all around both her eyes and the one is metaflam to be given orally. So weā€™re stopping the bronchodilator and Iā€™ll be nebulising her at home too instead.

This morning her nose was blocked by the discharge and her left eye seems to have a transparent layer over it with discharge underneath the eye.

I honestly donā€™t know what to do anymore. Iā€™ve been searching and asking around for people whose birds have had or have psittacosis and it seems that not a lot of birds have it or that if they did, they didnā€™t survive. I donā€™t even want to think about the possibility but Iā€™m losing hope and wondering if Iā€™m doing enough. Because it feels like Iā€™m not doing enough. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to forgive myself if anything happens to her but I also donā€™t know what else to do. Her weightā€™s not coming up, she still breathes through her mouth, tail bobbing going on, the nasal discharge seems to be getting worse....My mom keeps telling me to pray and believe in God and that sheā€™ll be okay soon but Iā€™m just scared. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to handle if anything happens to her and I know that her mate, Barfi will not take it well too. Heā€™s extremely obsessively attached to her and he screams his lungs out when I take her for vet visits and only calms down when I come back home and he sees her. Anyone tries being affectionate with her, he screams, she shows the slightest bit of distress, he screams, sheā€™s apart from him, he screams. And itā€™s not any type of screaming, he screams like heā€™s in AGONY. Barfi hates humans, wants us all to go extinct but tolerates us for the sake of Kulfi. It is okay for me if he does not like human contact because I had a rescue ringneck before Kulfi and Barfi who was old and he never let us touch him because he was abused in the past.

Anyway, I think Iā€™m rambling because Iā€™m lost and stressed and I know my vet is doing his absolute best too. I just donā€™t know what to do anymore.

Please don't lose hope! I recall you stated the vet is an "exotics" and trusted. Was there a diagnosis of psittacosis based on lab testing or presumed base on symptoms? Very critical to arrive at correct diagnosis for best treatment. Doxycycline seems to be the drug of choice, with supportive meds as needed. Is there any way you can get a second opinion, even if an avian vet reviewing testing data?

OP
N

noribirds

Aug 16, 2020
Parrots
If your bird has psittacosis, I am a bit surprised you haven't gotten it. Have you had any symptoms?
Does Barfi have it too?
It's pretty contagious from what I understand, which is why I am confused that you or the other bird haven't gotten it. It's possible that Barfi is a latent carrier I suppose...so maybe he just isn't showing symptoms.

On an unrelated note, I like the theme you have going on with their names. I though kulfi was a coincidence until I saw barfi too.

Iā€™m pretty sure she has psittacosis as well, as her symptoms match exactly with the disease. In the country where Iā€™m from (India) we donā€™t have diagnostic tests when it comes to birds. The vet diagnosed her on the symptoms.

Barfi is actually completely healthy. Kulfi also came in contact with my cockatiel (not actual contact, but they were close enough and this happened before I knew she had psittacosis) but both my other birds are healthy and active. Right now, theyā€™re not getting any meds except for an immune booster because both are asymptomatic and theyā€™re in the healthy weight range. If they show any signs of slightest distress, Iā€™ll immediately be taking them to the vetā€™s.

From what I read online, people could catch it but usually donā€™t?

OP
N

noribirds

Aug 16, 2020
Parrots
Noodles, people can get fir sure, but really most people donā€™t. I had to take care of sick birds with this I didnā€™t get. When Shine the cockatiel has this his owner didnā€™t get it either. BTW if yiu can link Shines thread? Shine was so sick I didnā€™t think he would survive but he did!!

Itā€™s a pretty common cause of upper respiratory infection in burds. My Avian veterinary friend sees this pretty often..

Noribirds, I know youā€™ve got a sick bird, and itā€™s so hard to go through that. He is getting oral doxycycline or injectable as well as the inhaler treatment? It does
He take a while to get better, sometimes they seem worse st first... or backsliding. Yours is not the sickest bird Iā€™ve seen with this. I really believe he will recover.

It is very important to support him with food. He needs food that has vitamin A in it. I dint know what his diet is? But foods like cooked sweet potatoes, cooked butternut squash , if he will eat carrots better cooked then try that, also hot chili peppers, the red ones seem very liked , Yiu can cook and purƩe veggies and serve over a little pasta or fresh cooked rice to your parrot. Rice that sits in the fridge can start growing be bacteria and stuff in a few hours, so burds she only be served freshly made rice. Or

Because if the antibiotics, your burd natural flora will be out of balance. Your doctor will need to monitor fir yeast over growth, or a secondary fungal infection..

To help naturally to prevent this. Feed a teaspoon of live culture yogurt with no artificial sweeteners every day, or every other day till meds are done. Itā€™s safe , itā€™s in the parrot approves lust, and I have done this. It can also help sick burds on antibiotics feel better,

Yes, sheā€™s getting her treatment daily :( Her condition seemed to be improving but itā€™s going downhill again now...Today her left eye was shut and the discharge there seems to be back. She was also shivering today. Iā€™m on the way to the vet and Iā€™ll have a talk with him on her treatment plan and update you.

I didnā€™t know about the yogurt thing but Iā€™ll do it starting today!

OP
N

noribirds

Aug 16, 2020
Parrots
You could also try syringe feeding/spoon feeding EmerAid Intensive Care Omnivore. I haven't used it myself since I just learned about it, but it's supposed to be excellent for critically ill animals.

I'm surprised your other IRN isn't being medicated as well. I'd talk to your vet about medicating him in case he's asymptomatic. Also, just putting it out there on the off chance it isn't psittacosis. Sounds like it could possibly be avian pox as well. According to Parrot Secrets:

"Avian poxvirus infection is the most common and the deadliest viral disease contracted by Budgies. All Budgie species are susceptible to it and it causes total damage. In most cases, Budgies exhibit the wet form of pox in which the mucous membranes of the eyes, mouth, gullet, crop and upper and lower respiratory systems are affected. Biting insects can spread the disease or direct contact with infected birds or contaminated surfaces may aggravate the painful condition. Pox in Budgies is highly contagious and spreads rapidly through a susceptible group."

"The mortality rate of birds infected with Budgie pox is usually high and those which survive, carry the marks, both external and internal, for life. Scars in the form of de-pigmentation and distortions on the roof of the mouth and eyelids, corneas, nostrils and areas of lamination on the beak are quite common. The Budgie, otherwise one of nature's prime beauties, is scarred and nobody feels more about it than the Budgie itself. If you bond well with your Budgie, you will be able to feel its depression. It may not be happy again."

Oh, I think with psittacosis you also have to completely disinfect their cage, toys, surroundings, etc., at least once a day. Have you been doing that?

I actually discussed with the vet about my asymptomic IRN and as of now, he is not on meds. Heā€™s getting an immunity booster and the vet asked me to moniter him closely. I havenā€™t heard of the avian pox but Iā€™ll be sure to ask my vet.

And yes, everything is being cleaned daily!

OP
N

noribirds

Aug 16, 2020
Parrots

Please don't lose hope! I recall you stated the vet is an "exotics" and trusted. Was there a diagnosis of psittacosis based on lab testing or presumed base on symptoms? Very critical to arrive at correct diagnosis for best treatment. Doxycycline seems to be the drug of choice, with supportive meds as needed. Is there any way you can get a second opinion, even if an avian vet reviewing testing data?

Yes, heā€™s an exotics vet! He diagnosed her based on symptoms because there are no lab diagnostic tests available in the city for birds. Unfortunately there are no avian vets in my state, let alone city. Since Iā€™ve had my birds for 5 years, Iā€™ve been to every vet in the city who potentially treated birds as well but they were never good. I found this exotic vet after going through a LOT of vets for my birds and He is the best option for my birdā€™s survival. Heā€™s a very famous exotics vet and trusted among many bird owners as well. I would get a second opinion if I could but I simply do not have any options. I live in the biggest city in the state and he is the best here. For a second opinion, Iā€™d probably have to travel states and go see another vet, which is currently impossible and Iā€™m not sure if I could travel for days just to see another vet :(

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Does Barfi have it too?

Iā€™m pretty sure she has psittacosis as well, as her symptoms match exactly with the disease. In the country where Iā€™m from (India) we donā€™t have diagnostic tests when it comes to birds. The vet diagnosed her on the symptoms.

Barfi is actually completely healthy. Kulfi also came in contact with my cockatiel (not actual contact, but they were close enough and this happened before I knew she had psittacosis) but both my other birds are healthy and active. Right now, theyā€™re not getting any meds except for an immune booster because both are asymptomatic and theyā€™re in the healthy weight range. If they show any signs of slightest distress, Iā€™ll immediately be taking them to the vetā€™s.

Well, it's good that you are monitoring etc.
I hope things improve!
He could be a carrier or fighting it off. Some birds get exposed and never show symptoms, so maybe that's what is going on with him.

On a slightly lighter note (not to detract from the seriousness of the situation..) but I am not awake yet and as I was skimming through responses, I saw "Kulfi is actually completely healthy", and I thought of the dessert, which led me to be momentarily confused lol (like, "hmm...there's a lot of cream and sugar for it to be healthy"). I knew that was your bird's name, but for a split second, it slipped my mind and I did a double-take. *face-palm*

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Yes, heā€™s an exotics vet! He diagnosed her based on symptoms because there are no lab diagnostic tests available in the city for birds. Unfortunately there are no avian vets in my state, let alone city. Since Iā€™ve had my birds for 5 years, Iā€™ve been to every vet in the city who potentially treated birds as well but they were never good. I found this exotic vet after going through a LOT of vets for my birds and He is the best option for my birdā€™s survival. Heā€™s a very famous exotics vet and trusted among many bird owners as well. I would get a second opinion if I could but I simply do not have any options. I live in the biggest city in the state and he is the best here. For a second opinion, Iā€™d probably have to travel states and go see another vet, which is currently impossible and Iā€™m not sure if I could travel for days just to see another vet :(

Now I understand, thanks for a complete narrative. You and the vet are clearly doing the absolute best possible for Kulfi. Psittacosis is a stubborn illness, hopefully diligent and comprehensive care will result in cure.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Didnā€™t know you have multiple birds. It is common here to treat all birds in the household at the same time. Not with the intense airway treatment, but just with the orals or the injectable... The other bird may have been the source of the infection even if not sick with it, or could become a carrier and reinfect the one that is more sensitive to this infection again ... it really is considered best practice to treat all birds in a household even if they are kept in different rooms and have no symptoms,... worth having a second conversation with your vet about it...

Also when on antibiotics like this and already so , sick , many birds get a secondary infection of test or fungus, often needing something like nystatin added to their treatment...

Your sick one might need eye drops, this infection can be hard on the eyes...

Nutrition is very important, as is providing extra warmth , either keeping the house a few degrees warmer, or useing the bird radiant heat

You are doing amazing!!! Iā€™m hoping your baby turns the corner soon!!

OP
N

noribirds

Aug 16, 2020
Parrots
Long overdue update; I have good news and a bit of bad news.

The good news being that Kulfi gained a little bit of weight and now weighs 100g! She was 95g on the first vet visit and went down to 90g and now her weight is currently 100g. So thatā€™s an improved.

The bit of bad news is that sheā€™s not responding to treatment....Her condition more or less seems the same and the Vet and I had an extensive talk about her today. Weā€™re both just frustrated because we donā€™t have testing kits for birds in the country so we canā€™t pinpoint the source organism for a better treatment. Her symptoms havenā€™t worsened but it seems like her right eye is worsening. Like I might have mentioned before, one of her eye always has a transparent layer with discharge underneath the eye every morning and I have to clean it. The eye seems to have gotten a bit red and Iā€™m worried if the discharge or the infection could affect her vision in that eye. I talked about this to the vet today and he said that if the infection affected the cornea then she could have problems with vision. I only noticed the vision today while I was at the vetā€™s office because Kulfi isnā€™t exactly 100% tame so she moves away when you move too close to her. So she was in her carrier and I put my hand in (her affected eye was facing me) and I realized that she didnā€™t seem to know my finger was getting closer to her until I got too close and she realized and moved away. She did have eye discharge at that moment so maybe the discharge was hindering her or maybe sheā€™s having eye problems? Weā€™ve already started eye drops for her (I think itā€™s been 3 days now?) and the vet checked her eye today and said that the eye had reddened visibly. Her affected eye also seems to be smaller than how it should normally be (like suppose you have your eye somewhat halway closed like youā€™re squinting). After I clean her eye, it seems to get better throughout the day but when itā€™s morning again, weā€™re back to square one. The vet has also changed her treatment plan and she got an injection today as well as a bit of nebulisation. The vet also told me that heā€™s gonna moniter her for 1-2 days more and meanwhile heā€™s gonna arrange for an X-ray for her.

On a lighter note, her appetite seems to have approved so thatā€™s a good thing. I also wanted some advice on diet. The diet for my birds currently includes natural fruits and veggies as well as Versele Laga Prestige seed mix. The seed mix is NOT a primary food in their diet, my cockatiel never eats seeds even If I give them to him but my ringnecks do. Theyā€™re mostly interested in eating whatever I feed them but they also eat their seed mix too. My ringnecks are mot picky eaters so Iā€™m thinking of switching to pellets maybe.

I donā€™t really have access to the top brand pellets here but We do get Zupreme. I used to buy Zupreme fruitblend for my old ringneck and he was the only one who ever ate it. We donā€™t get Zupreme natural here unfortunately, which is so strange?? Iā€™ve been doing a bit of searching and I found Zupreme natural and Zupreme Nutblend on amazon. BUT, the reviews from the people who bought it here do not look good and so Iā€™m second guessing buying it. Iā€™ve gotten Zupreme Fruitblend before and I know itā€™s good and my ringneck was always healthy with it, but I read somewhere before that fruitblend is not good for them? I could try getting the natural or the nutblend but Iā€™m not sure how the quality would be and I really cannot experiment when I have a sick bird. So, would buying Zupreme fruitblend be okay? Or should I just give the other ones a try and see how they are. Please understand that Zupreme is the only brand available here so suggestions of other brands would not work anyway. Or I could just stick to their current diet? Thoughts appreciated.

OP
N

noribirds

Aug 16, 2020
Parrots
Does Barfi have it too?

Well, it's good that you are monitoring etc.
I hope things improve!
He could be a carrier or fighting it off. Some birds get exposed and never show symptoms, so maybe that's what is going on with him.

On a slightly lighter note (not to detract from the seriousness of the situation..) but I am not awake yet and as I was skimming through responses, I saw "Kulfi is actually completely healthy", and I thought of the dessert, which led me to be momentarily confused lol (like, "hmm...there's a lot of cream and sugar for it to be healthy"). I knew that was your bird's name, but for a split second, it slipped my mind and I did a double-take. *face-palm*

Actually, Kulfi and Barfi are both names of deserts! (deserts who have no relation to each other surprisingly! The names just rhyme) and when I got them, my mom took one look at them and named them that.

OP
N

noribirds

Aug 16, 2020
Parrots
Didnā€™t know you have multiple birds. It is common here to treat all birds in the household at the same time. Not with the intense airway treatment, but just with the orals or the injectable... The other bird may have been the source of the infection even if not sick with it, or could become a carrier and reinfect the one that is more sensitive to this infection again ... it really is considered best practice to treat all birds in a household even if they are kept in different rooms and have no symptoms,... worth having a second conversation with your vet about it...

Also when on antibiotics like this and already so , sick , many birds get a secondary infection of test or fungus, often needing something like nystatin added to their treatment...

Your sick one might need eye drops, this infection can be hard on the eyes...

Nutrition is very important, as is providing extra warmth , either keeping the house a few degrees warmer, or useing the bird radiant heat

You are doing amazing!!! Iā€™m hoping your baby turns the corner soon!!

I have a cockatiel who is 3 years old and Kulfiā€™s mate(?) Barfi who is the same age as her! Iā€™m not sure if Kulfi and Barfi are siblings or they just ended up together when they were sold off. Something a lot of people always do here is they buy a pair. They never get one bird because they think itā€™s cruel to keep a bird alone. So birds are often sold as pairs here. I donā€™t know where they were bought from since I got them from someone I who know didnā€™t want them anymore. My cockatiel, on the other hand, was hand raised and I got him directly from a breeder.

My cockatiel and my other ringneck are getting immunity booster everyday but Iā€™m not medicating them apart from that. Should I get started on that too? Iā€™m weighing them both daily, their poop looks normal, appetite is good and theyā€™re active. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m not medicating them. My vet had said that I could put meds in water for Barfi but he doesnā€™t drink the water whenever I do that so I stopped with it. Barfi is more of a wilder bird than Kulfi so itā€™d be a bit difficult to hold him to medicate (he gets very stressed if he sees hands) but if you think meds are an absolute must for him too, then Iā€™ll try to find a way.

I havenā€™t heard of nystatin so Iā€™ll ask the vet about it. And yes, Kulfi is getting eyedrops as well.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Itā€™s considered pretty contagious, tho healthy burds can fight it off and may never seem sick. They may never get sick from it their whole lives, or st some point a stress can cause them to become ill....younger burds are more susceptible,

ā€œ Infected birds shed the bacteria in their droppings and nasal discharges. Other birds can be infected by inhaling (aerosol) dust from these dried infected droppings or by ingesting the bacteria while eating (oral). The bacteria can also be spread by objects (fomites) that have been in contact with infected droppings or nasal discharges, such as food dishes, perches, toys.
Biting insects, mites and lice (vectors)can also spread the disease.ā€

I really canā€™t say what the right thing to do is..,, I can say when one of my birds was thought to have this my personal scsin vet told me we would need to treat the whole flock... but differ t vet can decide different things just like human doctors, there are always many factors to consider....

As for the doxycycline that tiu add to water.., itā€™s not ideal, no birds like it, it spoils... one thing you can do if yiu decide you do want to treat..., is to mix as directed, then dip a kiss piece of bread in it and see if your bird will eat that, many will, the seal the water mixture and refrigerate, 8 hours or so later dip a tiny piece of bread in the mix and feed it to your bird again... then. Toss the mix and make fresh with water again as directed in the oacjagefirtge next day. Yiu have to be careful and mix with the amount of water as directed, otherwise to much medication could hurt your bird... since they only drink a small amount of the dilute medicine in the water each day... so yiu are trying to mimic that by putting s a few drops of the water mix to something like a tiny piece of bread or a tiny amount of oatmeal and getting them to eat that.... not ideal, not even saying you should do this. Sbd fir sure yiu only need like 1 ml of the water mix medicine added to what they will eat... just something to think about. Do your research, talk to your vet..

How close are the burds housed, how big is the risk? Most birds as adults have some immunity . Itā€™s also acceptable to wait and see, if they get sick yiu can treat. And to keep it in your mind if years later they get sick that this could be in your flock. It may nit even be possible to eliminate it completely from your birds and environment. And even so yiu may never have a problem with it again. So it truly is difficult to say.

A very important thing is proper diet for your burds. Burds in all seed diets have low vitamin A levels and are more prone to respiratory infections. So feeding a well balanced diet is very important

Most Reactions

Latest posts