Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Don't give up hope just yet, he may still turn up. Stranger things have happened! Sending more prayers for Barney and you and your family!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Tusk was gone for two stressful weeks... TWICE!

But I got him back both times. Keep looking. You will find him. He's out there.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I completely understand about not wanting to join in the forum right now. It would be very hard to do so and you wouldn't be able to enjoy it understandably! I wish you and your family and Madge all the best. Miracles happen so don't give up hope!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Yes, I'm thinking of you, too. I didn't want to ask, I figure WHEN you find him, we'll know.

Have you got help looking for him?

OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Well, I tried playing a recording of Alexandrine calls and it was pretty silly, really. There are literally thousands of bloody-well Rainbow Lorikeets flittering all over the place and continually yodelling to each other. Every time a RL or a flock thereof flies over, I have a heart attack thinking 'It's him!'. There's nothing I can do to make a louder noise than the RLs unless I hire a canvassing car and use amplified speakers. My sister has a megaphone (which I gave her), but she can't find it. Typical.

The traffic noise doesn't help either. At the times of day when I'm searching (early and late), everyone's on their way home or to work. I think it was the traffic that scared Barney away in the first place. I don't know if he'd be clever enough to figure that the swamp up the road actually has water in it. I plan to check there next in the late evening. Could be he'll come for a drink. Or maybe he's just followed the Minmi Road out to Minmi and is way out in the bush somewhere? Or the falcons came? Or someone's cat? Lots and lots of local people are sharing our flier, so maybe... ???

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
That's the hard part, all of those possibilities.... Hopefully, he has NOT headed for the hills and is still hanging about locally. I hope so. I really do. Can you put the feeding station thingie, like Birdman suggested?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Oh, Trish. I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through this.

But it warms my heart to see that you haven't given up hope. You may find him yet, my dear friend. You're doing a lot of the right things. I hadn't considered that the rich variety of bird life in your region would prove a disadvantage in your search for Barney. Where I live, a parrot's flock call would definitely stand out. On the other hand, if Barney followed those flock calls he'd be guided to places with potential food and drink. Would it be possible to check those areas known to be nesting areas for RL's? You know, in case he responded to a flock call?

Also, there is one member of his flock whose voice would remain distinctive regardless of the surrounding wildlife. Yours. I know that both Bixby and Maya, for instance, always respond with their own flock calls whenever I call out their names in a certain tone. Calling out in your voice, given the challenges presented by all of the surrounding RL's, might be your best bet. He'll likely be listening out for you.

And I too would suggest the feeder stations as Mark and Apple have suggested. Cast a wide net, Trish.

I wish we lived closer. I want to be out there with you, helping you search. What I can do, is to keep you and Barney both in my prayers. Stay strong, dearest Trish.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The waiting and wondering is the hard part. Not losing faith.

But they do tend to stay close to home. The first time I lost Tusk, he flew to the other side of the park, and landed on someone's fence, and they picked him up and took him inside. Eventually they found my flier.

Every other time he has been in a tree in the same exact area that he was lost in, I just couldn't see him because he was scared and hiding, and had to wait for him to vocalize the next morning in order to find him.

This last time was the furthest he'd ever gone. He ended up 6 miles from our house. So, very much still in the area. And again, had to wait for him to be found, and then wait for the person who found him to find the flyer...

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I cannot agree more with Stephen - when Avery took off on me flying away over roof tops and out of sight, I was frantic. After 45 minutes of screaming out for her and going all around the area, I became frantic and scared so I decided to go back home and make flyers/contact animal shelters/etc. But when I came back home and gave out one last shout of her name, she responded to me with her flock call. It's amazing how they come to recognize your voice out of every other sound out there. I have my fingers crossed and your and your family in my prayers. Lots of love is being sent your way.

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
Betrisher
Delfin and I are so sad that the beaks not together at this present time. But never give up hope. Hopefully someone like birdman666 finds Barney. Birdman666 has gained experience in recovering birds, in fact he is that good, he finds other people's birds. That the kind of experience that should be written down.

OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
No, sorry, not yet. We're still searching. I've just got off the phone from a lady about ten miles away who found a 'green bird with a black ring'. It turned out, the 'black ring' was a ring on his leg, not on his neck: it was an Eclectus parrot that she'd found. She's still searching for its owner and I'm still searching for my Barney. Thanks, everyone, for caring!!! :)

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Trish, I am so sorry that Barney has not come home yet.

Bundii and I say a prayer every night, at bedtime, for Barney to come back to you. I ask Bundii to channel her inner Alex and ask for Barney to come home to yourself, the family and to Madgie.

Sending lots and lots of hugs and thoughts.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Don't lose hope Trish, this lady you called, plus Birdman's experience shows that there are so many lost birds out there! So many lucky ones that do make it and survive out there for a surprisingly long while. Prayers still with you!!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
that do make it and survive out there for a surprisingly long while.
Or that are found and taken in and it just takes a while to track down the owner. Because they can fly, they could be some distance away (like when whats-his-name in America got out, he was like 10 miles away)

Have you notified all vets? The first thing that I'd do if I found a lost pet would be to report it to my vet. I'm just so hopeful that Barney will get home. We all feel for you in your super-sucky situation.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
No, sorry, not yet. We're still searching. I've just got off the phone from a lady about ten miles away who found a 'green bird with a black ring'. It turned out, the 'black ring' was a ring on his leg, not on his neck: it was an Eclectus parrot that she'd found. She's still searching for its owner and I'm still searching for my Barney. Thanks, everyone, for caring!!! :)

But it's encouraging that they do get found...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Trish, still fervently hoping Barney will soon be reunited with you and Madgie.

Most Reactions