Hello and New GCC Parent

katoo7

Apr 22, 2020
Indiana
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hi all!

First thank you for this forum. I'm so happy to have found it. Now to start my story and ask hopefully not too many questions:

Last week, I purchased a turquoise GCC whom I named Mr. Crunch, from a pet store. I had done a lot of research prior. I got rid of my nonstick pans, purchased non-ammonia, non-scented cleaners, researched cage size, etc. What I did NOT research was leg bands.

Mr. Crunch is still very skittish and shy. I have been following a lot of information on welcoming him and trying to help him feel comfortable. No eye contact, not forcing him to like me, basically just spending time with him and talking to him. He has become a little more comfortable around me and I was able to see his leg band a bit better. I was curious because it is very obvious this poor little guy has had no love and seems like an adult. His claws and beak are very long. He is a very quiet bird; he only peeps and squeaks his beak (hence the name). He is not sexed, but his head is flattish on the top and his band is on the right leg.

I started looking into leg bands. Mr. Crunch's leg band is an open one and has what looks like A 1810 on it. It is a blue band on his right foot. Does this band mean he is wild caught? Although I will love him unconditionally, I will feel awful if he was wild caught. Also, if anyone has any more info on handling wild parrots, I would love that.

Thank you for reading!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
It depends--- I mean, sometimes a baby who was hatched locally (non-import) will have a closed leg-band, but there are other reasons for open leg-bands other than wild caught. Mine has no leg-band at all and was hatched here over 13 years ago...so it's hard to know.

2 weeks is NOTHING for building trust...took mine many months to even step up...birds are just like this (especially if they aren't babies--- babies are deceptive in that they often are overly-sweet early-on , until puberty.. and then you practically have to build trust again ..) If he was in a pet-store, he is going to be that way until you build trust-- lots of people, inconsistency and other birds---it doesn't mean he is wild. All birds are non-domesticated, so they can all default to that. Don't worry---keep doing what you are doing....Patience with a CAPITAL P...he will come around

Last edited:

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Mama to Milo the Pineapple X Cinnamon GCC
Open band can mean they were either wild caught, or they were imported and held in a detainment place for quarantining before being permitted into your country, usually. Closed band will be from the breeder. Either way, sounds like he had a long trip to you! That’s good he’s starting to warm up to your presence [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Sometimes bands have to be cut off or removed for safety....sometimes a bird grows and they are problematic....some people don't like bands (due to safety issues/getting tangled)...some people retroactively demand them due to travel etc- past the time when a closed-band could be used....again- my bird was hatched here and has no band at all.

SERIOUSLY-- an open band is not a dead-giveaway for an imported bird...it can be a hint, but it is not a certainty by any means (in my opinion)

Last edited:
OP
katoo7

katoo7

Apr 22, 2020
Indiana
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Thank you for the replies! The band does make me nervous as far as safety goes, but I'm not going to have it removed this early in our life together.

And thank you lollipoppy, but I'm in America. I haven't found an American version of that site just yet.
I'm mostly curious about Mr. Crunch's origins and I want to do right by him.

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots
SERIOUSLY-- an open band is not a dead-giveaway for an imported bird...it can be a hint, but it is not a certainty by any means (in my opinion)

Just quoting what I heard from the rescue I got my old Lovie at. Didn’t mean to upset anyone. [emoji4]

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Just quoting what I heard from the rescue I got my old Lovie at. Didn’t mean to upset anyone. [emoji4]

I'm not upset! Sorry-- sometimes I get a little emphatic and it comes off as angry lol. I promise I wasn't!

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots

I'm not upset! Sorry-- sometimes I get a little emphatic and it comes off as angry lol. I promise I wasn't!

Oi! Double my bad then [emoji16] It’s okay! Deciphering text can be challenging and I have a tendency to assume I’m being scoffed at. [emoji38] I’m sorry for assuming!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Oi! Double my bad then [emoji16] It’s okay! Deciphering text can be challenging and I have a tendency to assume I’m being scoffed at. [emoji38] I’m sorry for assuming!

I do the exact same thing, so I get it lol! Easy to project a tone when you know people who use them all too often haha! Again-- no worries (like I said, been there, done that!)

OP
katoo7

katoo7

Apr 22, 2020
Indiana
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Mr. Crunch! One week is a short period of adjustment, it may take a month or more until he feels comfortable. Check out this thread with ideas for bonding and building trust: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

Thank you so much for the link. I never thought to use clickers, but the reasoning makes a lot of sense.

We actually have a thread with video for clicker training: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html
If you cannot find a clicker, there are smartphone apps. Look under "dog clickers," some have a choice of sounds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts