Hello everyone

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Re: Hello

Aawww

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SassiBird

May 10, 2016
Media
Albums
Minnesota
Parrots
Black Capped Conure - Sassafras - 2015; GCC Rosalita - 2018; GCC Apple Blossom - 2018
Keep posting. I'm enjoying learning about your experience.

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
She's doing good, her wings are almost completely green and I see some orange coming out too. I'm getting more comfortable, not like I just brought a newborn baby home for the first time.

It's also been making some different sounds the past few days unlike her usual high pitched baby bird chirp. These sounds are more pleasant to the ear, kind of like a combination of whistling and kissing sounds. It's cute because she only does it when she's alone, as soon as I walk in the room it's back to the chirping.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F

How sweet :)

Are you planning a DNA test? They only cost about $20 and can really be helpful in case of veterinary emergencies.

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017

How sweet :)

Are you planning a DNA test? They only cost about $20 and can really be helpful in case of veterinary emergencies.

They did tell me that If I wanted to find out the sex I could do a blood test for $30. At that time my only thought was that I don't want to bother the bird anymore than I need to. I didn't consider that it would be helpful in case the bird has any problems. So yeah I should probably do that.

I'm kind of hoping it's a girl because with past experiences with other pets the females were just a little bit more behaved. Although I know there are plenty of exceptions because the best dog I ever had was a male golden retriever. Still hoping it's a girl though lol.

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I even noticed with my rabbits, the female is so calm and sweet and clean compared to the male. He is so mischievous and will bite the crap out of you sometimes. And her cage is always pretty clean compared to the disaster he makes. I don't know if it's the same in the bird world.

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I've read that they also need at least an hour of human interaction every day, but does that go for babies too? Someone is always in the room with her and I take her out and everyone holds her for a few minutes, but then I put it back in the brooder. The bird does seem kind of bored in there, however. I especially want it to get used to my 5 year old daughter because I've heard senegals can have pretty good bites.

Is there anything else I should be doing to get it socialized at this point? When I take her out for feedings I can manage to get her to step up on my hand, but that's because she recognizes the feeder right away and goes for it.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots

At this point she should have toys in her brooder and be learning to interact with each member of the family, and any object you plan to have her interact with such as harnesses, toenail clippers, towels, the shower, etc.

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
This is what it looks like now, big difference from the first picture. That happened quick.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots

So beautiful!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17

Definitely NOT a chicken [emoji23][emoji23]

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Yeah I think it's safe to say it's not a chicken now.

I take her out a few times a day and it nuzzles into my neck and I put a little towel over her so it doesn't lose body temperature. Well today it was either growling or purring at me. I don't know if it was content or stressed. It actually sounded like a combination of a growl and a purr. It's hard to describe bird sounds.

Also her claws get stuck in everything and she doesn't want to let go so I have to gently pry them out of my my shirt or out of my hair and her claws are a bit scratchy too. Is that something you have to teach them not to do or will the bird always just get stuck to my shirt? I know that's probably a stupid question, but if there is something for her claws to grasp onto she doesn't want to let go.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots

It is lol. I have never heard a sennie growl/purr so I can't speak to which sound it was but I love hearing babies discover their new noises!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots

How's she doing?

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
She's a little sweetheart, she's starting to develop a real personality now and loves to be held. I hope it stays that way, but I've heard they can change...

The brooder was getting too small for her so the lady at the pet store( who was actually more informative than the last guy) said that it's only going to be a couple more weeks before she's fully feathered and can tolerate room temperature. So I bought a cage and have her at the bottom of it on the dropping pan with bedding and a heat lamp over it. I thought she was going to be scared of it, but she acted like she just arrived at a five star hotel.

She also said that I could start trying to wean her. She said it's easier to wean them with seed, but in the long run it's healthier if they just eat the pellets and not get addicted to the seed. So I bought the pellets and she said I could mix in a few Cheerios as an incentive to eat it, but so far all she does is poop in the food bowl. The whole cage was clean this morning and the food bowl was full of droppings. I guess she's using it as a toilet. But she's still sucking down the formula and pretty much lets me know now when she's done.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
She's a little sweetheart, she's starting to develop a real personality now and loves to be held. I hope it stays that way, but I've heard they can change...

The brooder was getting too small for her so the lady at the pet store( who was actually more informative than the last guy) said that it's only going to be a couple more weeks before she's fully feathered and can tolerate room temperature. So I bought a cage and have her at the bottom of it on the dropping pan with bedding and a heat lamp over it. I thought she was going to be scared of it, but she acted like she just arrived at a five star hotel.

She also said that I could start trying to wean her. She said it's easier to wean them with seed, but in the long run it's healthier if they just eat the pellets and not get addicted to the seed. So I bought the pellets and she said I could mix in a few Cheerios as an incentive to eat it, but so far all she does is poop in the food bowl. The whole cage was clean this morning and the food bowl was full of droppings. I guess she's using it as a toilet. But she's still sucking down the formula and pretty much lets me know now when she's done.

Oh look at that sweet face! [emoji7][emoji7]

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
It's so precious, I'm starting to fall in love with it. I hope it doesn't turn into a monster lol, I was reading a thread about Senegals here and apparently they can have bad attitudes.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots

I personally wean all my babies onto pellets and fresh food; they don't even see seeds until they go to their new homes :)

Also please look into abundance weaning especially since you already know you want to keep a sweet baby.

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I've been just leaving the pellets in the cage and still feeding her the formula regularly because she wants nothing to do with them. I figure she'll eventually eat them and will refuse the formula on her own.

By fresh food do you mean small pieces of fresh vegetables? Is she too young to offer her that yet? If not what do they like the best?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots

Small pieces, big pieces, medium pieces, I offer veggies as toys to my little ones.

Preference depends on individuals but I've noticed that peppers and whole kale leaves seem to really be a hit with almost everyone in my flock :) maybe some other sennie owners can give more insight there.

Most Reactions

Latest posts