Hello everyone

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I always have kale because that's the rabbit's favorite too.

I have another question. I have her at the bottom of the cage for now and today she climbed all the way up the cage to the top which is about 5 ft. I put her back down because I'm not sure she's as good at getting down as she is up. And then she did it again so I blocked it so she can't climb up there anymore. Is that something I should be allowing her to do or should I keep it blocked until she gets a little bigger?

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
To get a better idea of what I'm talking about this is the cage and how I have her set up in it now. Normally I have heat lamps hanging in the middle because my house is still a bit too cold for her, but I have her on the porch right now and it's perfect Florida weather for a bird.

She is determined to climb all the way to the top so you can see where I blocked it. I don't know if I should allow her to climb all she wants or wait. That's kind of high if she falls.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Re: Hello

I don't know anything about your question but she looks like a parrot! It's fascinating to me how quickly they change when they're little. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Phillip - Green Cheek Conure (RIP)

lol I think it's a sennie but that pet shop sounds so horrible that they might sell chickens as parrots if they could get away with

I'm a little late, but I don't think a pet store could get away with that. You see, in raising chickens myself, the stages of growth are much different than a parrot. Chickens are hatched fuzzy from day one, however that stage doesn't last long. So in 5 weeks if they sold you a chicken you would probably know it was a chicken, lol. Here's a 5 week old chicken for fun:

5-weeks-old.jpg

PS: Your new parrot is very cute. :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F

I was responding to a previous post and no, they couldn't; I was commenting on their ethics, not the similarities between chickens and parrots ;)

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
if this is a chicken it's the craziest one I have ever seen. im typing with one hand because it's sleeping in my other arm right now. its going to be the most spoiled chicken ever.

trimblegirls

Dec 30, 2016
Northern CA
Parrots
African Grey: Jasper
Blue and Gold Macaw: Lulu
Eclectus: Pickles
I adopted my two as adults so please post many baby pictures. Your baby is adorable.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
if this is a chicken it's the craziest one I have ever seen. im typing with one hand because it's sleeping in my other arm right now. its going to be the most spoiled chicken ever.

Does Chicken have a name?

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017

At first my daughter named it Daisy, but we didn't know if it was a boy or girl so she switched it to Peanut. Probably the most common bird name in the world.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots

At first my daughter named it Daisy, but we didn't know if it was a boy or girl so she switched it to Peanut. Probably the most common bird name in the world.

Still cute [emoji4][emoji211]

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F

Nah, I think "mango" is more common, and maybe Charlie :) but popular names are popular for a reason; so cute!

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Peanut is also starting to try out her wings. When I walk up to her cage she comes over to me and starts fluttering them as fast as she can almost as if she's trying to show me what she learned to do. Then just now my husband took her from me and she flew off his hand and landed on the floor.

I have a screened in porch, should I plan on her tearing the screen up? I know someone who had birds and they didn't seem to mess with the screen at all.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots

Congrats! Welcome to fledging; exciting, terrifying, frustrating, amazing!

As for the screen just don't leave her unattended out there. My birds land on my screens all the time. I just go get them and don't give them time to realize that it might be fun to chew holes in them.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots

Adorable!

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I'm not sure I'm weaning it right because she is taking in even more formula now, not less. Right now I have pellets, broccoli, apples, carrots, peppers and a few seeds in her bowl. She does pick at it and likes the broccoli and apples the best, but doesn't eat a significant amount to provide any nutrition.

I guess it will come with time. Otherwise I'll be feeding her formula with a syringe 3 times per day for the next 30 years.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots

Lol how old is she now? Unless I'm vastly miscalculating her age she isn't ready to wean anyway :) depending on the species and individual, parrots will start munching on "real food" weeks or months before being ready to wean :)

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Maybe 10 weeks. I'm not quite sure how old she was when I got her. She loves that formula though, which has been helpful with her trusting me. She gets right up on my hand and sits on my shoulder. I wont prepare it in front of her again though because yesterday she flew off my shoulder and straight into the cup I was mixing it in.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots

That's happened to me sooooo many times!

At 10 weeks don't worry about it. If you keep offering it 3 times a day, she will eventually decide its uncool and she's over it lol

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
She flew across the room three times this morning each time crashing into the wall and falling. So what am I supposed to do now, just let her keep crashing into walls until she figures it out?

It's a bird so I knew it was going to eventually fly, but I wasn't expecting her to fly off my arm this morning and all the way across the room. It was amazing, but scary when she hit the wall and fell on the table.

Most Reactions

Latest posts