Hello, First time bird owner w/ questions

ConureLady

Oct 15, 2012
I'm probably saying the same stuff a lot of other people will say..

I see you have a green substrate material on the floor, ditch that asap! it can cause a bowel obstruction. use newspaper, its much safer.

Ditch the dowel rods unless you want sore feet :( you need three kinds of perches. wood, concrete, and rope.
invest in some nice wooden perches and put them up high, put rope from side to side as a main perch, and put one concrete perch infront of each dish. pediperches work wonders.

If I were you, I wouldnt have touched her for atleast a week. She was comfortable at the petshop and felt safe. She is in a new environment, now that you've bothered her you might have started a vicious cycle of biting.
I would advise immediately ceasing all contact. Leave her cage open after a week, encouraging her to come out by putting treats outside of her cage.

Babies can be nippy and some conures never grow out of it. Even if shes nippy, you'll learn her warning signals.

OP

7THSIGN

Oct 15, 2012
**UPDATE**
Well my wife and I have added a new member to the family,
Would like to introduce Fruti!!!
My brother in law and sister asked me if I wanted to go with them to the pet store because they needed to pick up some food for their German Shepard. I said sure.
As soon as I got in I saw a large group of parrots in an open play cage. I immediately went over to the conures. They were all so playful and loved human contact. My sister knew the owner and I could tell all these conures were hand raised.
My wife and I had been talking about getting Tuti (my GCC) a friend but were worried Tuti wouldn’t get along with another parrot. There was one Sun Conure that stood out to me, it wanted me to hold it and did not want to leave my hands. It never even nibbled on my fingers! Such a playful bird and so kind. It stole my heart.
I purchased the Sun Conure and named it Fruti. It is 5 months old. Don't know if its a male or female. it is the most kind loving conure I have ever seen. Surprised my wife at home and she loved it. Introduced Tuti to Fruti, it was a slow first interaction. It has been three days and they are inseparable! They grow closer to each other by the day.
They are both my wife and I first parrots and its amazing how they show their love towards us. I love coming home to them and hearing them screams as I open the door. It’s like they know Im their friend.
I purchased them a larger cage that will be coming next week. I will update with pics when it arrives.
5a3c7947-8c4e-4fc9-b88a-6dea69690a0b_zps4b2234aa.jpg

1016b99f-e838-4ba6-90fa-8507f0f7e3d7_zps27d74d07.jpg

Their first hello,

Last edited:

Most Reactions