Hello, i have a question~ (Parakeet)

brianbh1378

Jan 13, 2013
CA
Parrots
Budgie or Parakeet
Hello all members! I am very happy that i found this site and became a member to this wonderful bird loving community. I just bought my very first bird (Parakeet) this afternoon at petsmart. I bought everything he needed and finally set him in his cage. He has a swing, 2 perches, a toy, an orange mineral treat, a spray millet (haning next to a perch), a bowl of water, and bowl of fiesta mix as his food. I also got "tropical furit treats but i did not put it in the cage as some people told me that they might eat too much and end up being too fat. The problem is that he is standing all the way back on his higher perch, not moving at all, and stares at me the whole time. He has not eatten or drank water at all; not even the mineral treat or spray millet. I am scared that i am missing some important things for him, causing him to not move, eat, or drink. I am frighten that he might die of hunger or anxiety. Guys please let me know if i am missing something or need of action on anything. Thank you very much guys and i really appreciate the help.

Sincerely,

Brian~

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
Welcome to the forum :)
would love to see pictures of your new baby :D

It just sounds like he is scared, probably because of moving and all the new surroundings. Do you have any other pets, children or loud appliances or anything that might be freaking him out?

OP
B

brianbh1378

Jan 13, 2013
CA
Parrots
Budgie or Parakeet
I do not have any pets or children, but i do have a computer that makes a slight sound because of the fan. Right now, he is still standing on the same location on the perch but he has his head tilted back to his back. Thanks for the greet! I would love to post a picture but i dont know how.

ct92404

Oct 14, 2012
California
Parrots
My first bird was a parakeet named Buddy (passed away November 8, 2012). My newest friend is a parakeet named Chipper.
This is actually normal for a new bird. Don't panic. At first, he is going to be very nervous about his new home, and he won't want to move around his cage much at all. He'll most likely stay on the highest perch, because birds instinctively feel safer if they're up higher. Just put his food and water bowl near the highest perch. (I recommend buying food bowls that hang on the bars of the cage, so you can put them anywhere, instead of the bowls that go in the smaller doors.) Don't worry, he won't let himself starve. If he sees where his food bowl is, he'll go to it once he feels safe.

One suggestion I have is to put the cage somewhere so that one side of it is blocked or covered. The reason is that a bird can feel very vulnerable if his cage is entirely exposed on all sides. If you bought a cage cover, you can even just clip it on one side of the cage during the day with clothespins or something. That way, the bird will feel safer.

Don't worry about the computer fan. That's a gentle, continuous low noise and it shouldn't scare him. And besides, he needs to get used to activity in the room. For right now, don't try to pet him or tame him yet. Let him get used to his cage. Don't open the cage yet unless you need to, to change his food and water, etc. You don't have to be nervous or tip toe around his cage either. Just go about your normal day. When you walk by his cage, talk to him in a very gentle, reassuring voice. Once he gets used to seeing you and realizes that you are not a threat, he will start to feel much more comfortable.

I can help you with taming him if you want, but send me a private message because it would get too long to write here.

Good luck. Your birdie will be fine. He's just really nervous right now. :) Just keep an eye on him.

Last edited:

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
not sure if this is the easiest or quickest way to do it but its what i do :p. If they aren't already online somewhere, you click advanced on the reply section, then click the attachments button, you can browse images on your computer and add them to your post. :)
There is however, a limit to the number of attachments you can upload to the site before you have to delete some old ones.

You could also put photos in an album on your profile.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
You're not missing anything... Just give the bird time to settle in...

Have you ever moved to a new place and not feeling 'at home' for a while?

Well... it's worse for birds, because they don't understand what's happening! Birds understand a lot more than what we give them credit for, so I would explain to your little one, that he has been moved to your place, because you can give him a better home, and loves him more than anyone else...

OP
B

brianbh1378

Jan 13, 2013
CA
Parrots
Budgie or Parakeet
At night when the whole room is dark, i can hear him exploring the cafe. He also ate spme spray millet but not his water or real meal. He is still standing st the same spot and it worries me.

ct92404

Oct 14, 2012
California
Parrots
My first bird was a parakeet named Buddy (passed away November 8, 2012). My newest friend is a parakeet named Chipper.
My parakeet, Chipper, was the exact same way. That's completely normal. :)
For his first full day in his new cage, he'll barely move around at all. Later on, he will get brave enough to check out his food bowl. He won't let himself starve. And he'll drink water when he's ready. The fact that he was eating spray millet is a good sign. He has an appetite. Right now, his instincts are just telling him to be still and quiet because he doesn't understand yet that you're not a predator. But don't worry, once he gets used to seeing you, he'll start to feel more comfortable. Just try to spend more time in the room with him and just go about your normal day. Once he sees that you're not a predator whose going to try to eat him, he'll slowly start to feel more confident! LOL

Also, don't get worried if he doesn't chirp for a while. In fact, he might not chirp for several days. That's completely normal too. Chipper wasn't chirping for almost a week, and I started getting worried, even though he is the 2nd parakeet I've had. But now, he chirps his little head off and makes all kinds of whistling and chattering sounds.

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
I had 2 parakeets from Petsmart. It's perfectly normal for them to act like that. They're used to having multiple birds in a cage and now he's all alone. Budgies are such a riot to have. Hopefully you got a talker. They're great entertainment when they start repeating things you say all the time (especially things you don't want them to say :p)

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum:)

Here is an easy way to post pics...

When you are creating your post, go into attachments, click on upload from Computer, then browse.. click on the pic you want to show, then click on upload.... or if you have photobucket just hover mouse over the image then left click on IMG and it will say copied, then just paste into your message box, go onto preview post and it will show if it has gone in properly:)

pretty_boy2012

Jun 2, 2012
elmira, NY
Parrots
a blue and white parakeet
its normal for all animals to be quiet and not doing anything.

Mine did that when we first got him home in june, now hes squaking, flying, stepping up, sitting on my shoulder, kinda giving kisses.

My cat watches him like a hawk though (one reason why I keep the bedroom door closed when hes out of his cage)

Most Reactions