OolovebirdiesoO

Jan 6, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Parrots
Eastern Rosella
Mealy Rosella
Peachfaced Lovebirds
Black masked Lovebird
I had Rainbow out for playtime and she was sat on her perch on the outside of the cage. She was giving me kisses in return for little treats, she had a small piece of a nut.

Tooki isn't tame at all and was raised in an aviary but is now rainbows companion bird. Tooki kept watching me to see what I was doing with rainbow and kept getting closer and coming up to the bars. He kept chattering softly and looked very interested in what I was doing. I offered him some nut and he backed off then hopped right back over to me and kept approaching, running away and hopping back (this happened about 5 times) and then Tooki took the nut from me hopped back onto his favourite perch and ate it all up :D I was a bit nervous at first because I didn't know if he could tell the difference between food and fingers and I didn't fancy a Rosella bite, they are far worse than lovebird bites! anyway he kept coming back looking for more so I crushed it up smaller to limit his treat portions. I offered him a pea and he ran straight over!

He's starting to trust me now and likes to join in whistling with me. :)I'm so happy with this so far because Rosella's aren't known for being people birds. Hopefully in the future I can pursuade him to step up (that will be a challenge)

I haven't clipped his wings. I'm not sure how he'd cope because he's such a good flyer.

ct92404

Oct 14, 2012
California
Parrots
My first bird was a parakeet named Buddy (passed away November 8, 2012). My newest friend is a parakeet named Chipper.
That's great! :)

I guess his curiosity got the best of him. It sounds like Rainbow really helped him to come out of his shell too.

My parakeet, Chipper, is having some major birdie problems. He's obnoxious! I have an extra food bowl in his cage, for treats. He kept playing with it and trying to knock it over! I know he was doing it on purpose! If I use my laptop computer while I'm holding him, he'll jump down on it and start pecking at the keys. Sometimes, he doesn't want to get off and if I try to pick him up, he'll protest and bite me! He's friendly and usually very gentle. But if he doesn't want to do something, he gets really stubborn and gets an attitude!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Why not try taming him with his flight feathers? Being that he's flighted, it gives him the option to learn to come to you on his own terms, and gives him the option to fly off when he feels threatened. As long as you don't go chasing him around but show him that you can be trust worthy, he'd learn, in time, that you aren't so bad!

I say, well done, and keep at it!

OP
OolovebirdiesoO

OolovebirdiesoO

Jan 6, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Parrots
Eastern Rosella
Mealy Rosella
Peachfaced Lovebirds
Black masked Lovebird
Aaaw! Chipper sounds adorable. Rainbow knows what she wants and doesn't want. She's not a cuddly bird but is very sweet.

Tooki seems to settle down outside his cage and is happy to run around the floor and play with the toys, he seems to get closer to me and is interested. He's so curious and likes to see what Rainbows up to. :)

Most Reactions