Hello, Im Mary

maryclark18

Jan 22, 2014
Arlington, VA
Parrots
Amazon(attacked me/mom sold)
Congo African Grey(Died)
Hi my name is Mary. I can remember my dad having some type of bird in our house for as long as I can remember. The first bird I remember was some sort of Amazon. Though soon after I was born they got rid of him since he would attack me and my mother. Then he got a pair of cockatiels, until they died of age(I think). Then we got a Congo African Grey, she died after about 10 years, I think because my dad didn't pay much attention to her. Me and my mother would try to hold and bond with her, but she wouldn't have any of it. Now that I am out of my parents house, I myself am thinking of starting my own experience with birds.
:blue1:

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
Hi Mary , welcome to the forum~what kind of bird are you thinking about getting?

OP
M

maryclark18

Jan 22, 2014
Arlington, VA
Parrots
Amazon(attacked me/mom sold)
Congo African Grey(Died)
I was thinking about a B&G. Though I want to get a house first since they can/will scream. And I highly doubt our apartment neighbors would like that. But I'm also afraid that it will turn out like our CAG did, and I don't want that. Ive heard stories of macaws breaking people's fingers with one bite, then Ive heard they are one of the friendliest macaws, next to the Hy. Plus I would like it to be a family bird and hopefully not bond to one person like our grey.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Welcome to the forum!!!

If you want the macaw bond with all members, lots of handling and training is needed. BUT they can not be afraid cause the macaw will sense it. That's the problem with my partner so I could never get the macaws to go to my partner. But it started with Willie always trying to attack my partner since day one so that doesn't help.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome to the forum Mary
What ever species you get they can learn to bond with all family members.
I admit there are cases where a bird will not bond with certain family members.
Each family members must spend one on one time with the bird.
I got an AG Mishka from young he was handle by anyone and everyone.
Anyone can hold, feed and play with him.

Good luck choosing a bird

Most Reactions

Latest posts