Help...how to undo screaming?

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Ok, so I was testing it out earlier- he was on his perch and I held my arm about 6 inches away- so he couldn't just step onto it, and he would do a hop flutter but when I tried to give him a treat he would bite my finger!! What the?! :(

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You might be asking too much... try closer. It's fine to teach him to go to you starting with a step up and slowly making the step up longer and longer until he has to hop for it, then hop and flutter, and so forth!

Also, try to find maybe a different reinforcer? It doesn't have to be food, but it's a great primary one! Lara Joseph talks about some different reinforcers in this blog.

A Bit About Reinforcement | Lara Joseph

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Ok thanks :) baby steps! and maybe food isn't the best reward-he tends to get overly excited when there's food involved... We'll see though. I'll get to reading and maybe we'll try again later or tomorrow. He seems to also be in a mood today- still mad at me for yesterday lol

Hayden1987

Apr 23, 2013
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Parrots
Andy a Harlequin Macaw
a pair or maroon bellied conures,
a pair of mulga parrots
Hows the training going?
Are you using any kind of verbal or sound cue so the bird knows its doing the right behaviour?
I would definitely just start with step up, reward.. step down, reward.. on repeat for a session or two until things are smooth, and then move on to a hop from the stand to a hop back. Be very carefull training a partially flighted bird, you dont want to lose the confidence or even worse fracture a bone on a hard floor if the bird misses your hand or the perch..
There are tonnes of other things you can train until the primaries come back through.

Just a thought :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Give him time to settle! I half wonder if he feels as if his mate left him so he tried to bond with another, hence the bad feelings towards you?

It's really the bird that determines the reward or reinforcer. If you can't safely give him food (even if you were to put it into or onto something he could take it from/off of), try something else!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Hows the training going?
Are you using any kind of verbal or sound cue so the bird knows its doing the right behaviour?
I would definitely just start with step up, reward.. step down, reward.. on repeat for a session or two until things are smooth, and then move on to a hop from the stand to a hop back. Be very carefull training a partially flighted bird, you dont want to lose the confidence or even worse fracture a bone on a hard floor if the bird misses your hand or the perch..
There are tonnes of other things you can train until the primaries come back through.

Just a thought :)

I was planning on using verbal and visual cues -"Jackie perch" and point to his perch or something like that and when he does as asked I say "good boy!!!" with a treat.
I plan on giving it another go tonight or tomorrow.
Good point about being careful- I definitely don't want him to get hurt or lose his trust in me when we've come so far in our relationship!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Give him time to settle! I half wonder if he feels as if his mate left him so he tried to bond with another, hence the bad feelings towards you?

It's really the bird that determines the reward or reinforcer. If you can't safely give him food (even if you were to put it into or onto something he could take it from/off of), try something else!

Hmmm...maybe? His previous "mate" died a couple years ago and was left with his wife who did nothing with him. He may have tried to bond with her or her son Charlie/Chuck -he often says "hello Charlie!" "hello chuck!" when he sees me. So since all that I'm the first one who's actually tried to have a relationship with him. He's been with us for 5.5 months now, so still very new.

I think I'll work on stepping up/down and reinforcing that since it doesn't involve actual flying yet.

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
I have found that keeping them to a strict schedule and routine helps A LOT with screaming for attention.

Most Reactions