HELP: Lovebird seems to be sick!

kaiisiin

Nov 7, 2017
There's a lovebird came into my house 6 days ago. We got a cage for it and searched if there's any notice about a lost lovebird but no avail. Today, the bird was found opening the cage door and escaping out, standing on his cage.

Hours later, the bird started bobbing his head, gagging. There were a few times where he actually vomited. He still has his appetite and does eat but constantly does the gagging/choking action. After about 6 hours of continuing the action, he stopped gagging but isn't sleeping. He keeps dozing off but wakes up immediately after. It keeps changing his position and isn't perching on his stand.

The bird seems quite weak but constantly wants to be let out of the cage. Previously, he was scared of leaving the cage and would move away when our hands approach it. Now, the bird would just stand there and let my finger scratch it, not moving away when I approach.

I'm really worried about him right now as he isn't falling asleep. Usually, it'll sleep at around 8 pm, it's 12:40 pm now and he is still having trouble sleeping... :(:(:confused:

:yellow2:

greytness

Sep 11, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
3 CAGs, BHC, 2 duskie conures, Jardine's, Meyers, pineapple GCC, eclectus, miligold macaw, scarlet macaw, & Panama Amazon
If you believe he's sick, you must take him to an avian vet immediately. Once birds show signs of illness, they're usually very ill. Time is of the essence.
Please let us know what the vet says.

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
where are you located? I lost my lovebird a month or so ago in WY. .000001% chance but I thought Id ask. my boomer is blue with white face.

vet might be necessary especially if he wont perch. That's a sign of illness!

OP
K

kaiisiin

Nov 7, 2017
If you believe he's sick, you must take him to an avian vet immediately. Once birds show signs of illness, they're usually very ill. Time is of the essence.
Please let us know what the vet says.

I'll try to get my parent to agree... Hope he can make it through the night...
:(

OP
K

kaiisiin

Nov 7, 2017
where are you located? I lost my lovebird a month or so ago in WY. .000001% chance but I thought Id ask. my boomer is blue with white face.

vet might be necessary especially if he wont perch. That's a sign of illness!

Hi, it's yellow in color with bluish tail... I'm in Singapore...

greytness

Sep 11, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
3 CAGs, BHC, 2 duskie conures, Jardine's, Meyers, pineapple GCC, eclectus, miligold macaw, scarlet macaw, & Panama Amazon
So, you're thinking about taking him in tomorrow? That could be too late. Please have your parents read this thread so they know this could be a very serious problem.

OP
K

kaiisiin

Nov 7, 2017
So, you're thinking about taking him in tomorrow? That could be too late. Please have your parents read this thread so they know this could be a very serious problem.

They will definitely not agree to it now...:( They're already asleep... It's 1:15am here...:(:(:(

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Has anyone in your home used a teflon pan or other cooking implement tonight before the onset of symptoms (such as a non stick pan, baking sheet or crockpot)? Teflon, the chemical coating that makes pans and other things non-stick, puts off odorless fumes when heated that can kill parrots. The smaller the parrot, the greater the risk. Your birds sudden onset of symptoms sound like possible teflon toxicity. It is not uncommon for new and unprepared bird owners to have this happen because they don't know how toxic non-stick cookware is to parrots. Unfortunately, even with vet care not much can be done if that is the case. I hope this isn't what happened, but here is more information for you to read:

Teflon Toxicity (PTFE Toxicosis) in Birds: Signs and Prevention

For now, all you can do is keep the bird warm, hydrated and if it is unable to perch, remove perches from the cage and let it rest on soft towels instead to prevent further injury from falling. Good luck and hopefully the bird will pull through and be able to get into a vet tomorrow.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, hope we can be of assistance during your lovebird's time of need.

Very difficult to diagnose bird illnesses online, but the previous posts have covered possible causes and advice until you see a vet. Preferably an avian certified vet, as birds are so different from dogs/cats.

Wishing your lovebird the very best, please keep us updated!

Most Reactions

Latest posts