Help me find the right bird, but tell it to me straight

obeck

Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
Parrots
SI Eclectus, CAG
Eclectus parrots don't have dander, but, they are high maintenance. Very specific diet. The diet is mostly fruits and veggies. I have one and he is just a (best description) cuddly diva. I do think I am a very lucky person to be his food prepper.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Lol, talking about sharp little beaks, even getting bitten by Mink the English Budgie hurts surprisingly bad haha. Her beak is maybe 1/3 bigger than a standard budgie but she still can't draw blood :). Maybe on a child's skin.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I know green cheeks are nippy, but if I could get another bird, I would get another green cheek! I love them, they are "quieter" (no bird is quiet) then any other conure. They are so fun and cuddly. Actually, my green cheek is on my head currently! :p They are more for apartment life then big conures when I meet my friends Jenday or sun, they are so loud just because. But her green cheek is the one who sits there and plays or eats. They have dander but all birds do and much less then a tiel. My tiel I had was so dusty and I dont have asthma but I had allergies really bad. But then when he left, I didn't have the same issues. There was dust everywhere! Oh my and they aren't even the dustiest! African greys and cockatoos are way worse! I can't even imagine! So please consider a green cheek, fun playful sweet and a good size, they aren't intimidating at all :rainbow1:

I'm giving another vote to green cheeks! I am so smitten and in love with mine :3 I look forward to the day that I can devote myself to a second one :D But one is a handful on her own for sure in the best possible way.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I love green cheeks - but - I seriously love budgies. They are awesome and when they are hand tame - they're the best...

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
It sounds like an English Bugie would be a better fit for you. My cousin who is in fifth grade is intimidated by my tiel who is very sweet. He is terrified of getting bit. The first question people ask when they see my bird is does she bite? She has a beak she can bite if she wants. The smaller the beak the less intimidating. They are also beautiful and more independent when they need to be but love your attention. This, in my opinion, is a better fit with your schedule.

tijya

Jul 31, 2015
I would suggest a parrotlet. My parrotlet is much quieter than my conure and if an apartment life is a possibility, conure noise may not work.

Parrotlets can be nippy but they are full of personality.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Smaller the beak, smaller the bite...

Well I would rather get bitten by a big macaw then the little brats just saying! I absolutely hate being bitten by the little birds and it always hurts like a yeah well you know.

See. I'm not the only one...

Big macs usually just pinch. The little birds poke pin holes in you...

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Smaller the beak, smaller the bite...

Well I would rather get bitten by a big macaw then the little brats just saying! I absolutely hate being bitten by the little birds and it always hurts like a yeah well you know.

See. I'm not the only one...

Big macs usually just pinch. The little birds poke pin holes in you...

So true. Of a budgie, IRN and 'too - my worst bites have truly undoubtedly been from the budgie, then the IRN, then the too. Maybe I'm better at listening to the bigger birds! Actually there's some truth in that - well mannered 'too, youngish IRN, aviary bred budgie.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts