Help! Medical Advice needed!!!!

momto3

Mar 19, 2012
Ok...I am freaking out because I think our Quaker is sick. My son LOVES this bird!!!! This morning she woke up with lots of chirps, usually it is only a couple. She has been puffed up making small noises and her voice seems different to me today. I have to say, that I worry about every detail and this could just be her acting differently. She is now eating and quit making the noises--which she did for the last hour. I will take her to the vet today if she continues to act sick, but I don't want to expose her to the stress and cold if I don't need to. My question is, could she get ill from playing with a paper roll? I noticed this morning that her beak has paper residue on it from playing with a white paper roll yesterday. She has had the toy for about 2 weeks and just loves it. I took it out of her cage this morning, but do you think paper could make her ill? Also, do parrots eat when they aren't feeling well? She didn't want her treats this morning, but is now eating. I am heading to the grocery store to get her favorite--roast chicken--and will see if she eats that. Her poop seems whiter than normal and she is still puffed up. She is about 9 months old. The only thing that is new to her is her paper toy. I just saw her drink water, so she is drinking....
Thanks for the advice!

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Take her to the vet!!! Parrots hide their sicknesses very well. If they are showing signs of sickness, they are close to death or very sick. Take her to the emergency vet that deals with exotics, good luck. Feed her soft food, oatmeal, baby food. Also keep her hydrated. Keep her warm and do not stress her. This is very important. Keep her wrapped up or warm and drive up to the emergency bet, no matter how far. Good luck! Xoxox

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If a parrot is sick, I don't care how cold it is outside, the stress of temporarily being cold is not as great a danger as keeping a bird home and letting them remain sick and possibly getting sicker! If you are worried about the cold, then warm up the car first, put your bird into a small cage/carrier, and wrap it in blankets or towels!

Now whether or not your bird is sick, and needs to see an a-vet, I don't know! But if you are worried, it never hurts to be cautious and take her in! I will say that birds can "act off" for a day, then 'return to normal behavior' afterwards and still remain sick! Likewise, some birds can have an "off day" but not be sick (weather change, woke up on the wrong side of the perch, or whatever)!

I wouldn't think that paper would be harmful as long as its parrot safe, unless she's eating it and that somehow could be causing a problem.

Most Reactions

Latest posts