Banned
Jul 30, 2011
Shanghai, China
Parrots
Amazon 2
Gray 2
Palm 1
Hi, Parrot experts,
Please kindly help me. My palm cockatoo doesn't want to eat food.
I have just bought a palm cockatoo. He is not a wild one. About 3 years old.

I tried to feed him with nuts, sunflower seeds, apple. But he seems doesn't fit the new home. He just ate just a little seeds, about 20 per day. This diet seems too little for him.

I am very worry about his health.

Is there any experts can help me?困惑:

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
we are no vets, have you had the bird seen to by a avian vet??

also what did its previous owners feed the bird?? it might not know you are giving it food.

also it is new to your home, let it settle in, keep room calm, no sudden noises, big movements etc

eat some of the apple etc in front of it, then offer, do not expect it to take from your hand, best to stick it onto cage bars or pop into its bowl, if you can do so without putting your hand into its cage, it may be just frightened, and then walk away and let the bird do its thing

you are trying to make friends with a very shy person! so be patient, but vets is better option

Rennagade

Jul 28, 2011
Gympie, Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Male Alexandrine 3yrs old (Zeus) and Female Alexandrine 4 yrs old (Gretchen)
Have you tried pellets?? Do you know what his previous diet was??? He might be stressed over the change in environment. Although each bird is different I notice that alot of cockatoos like corn. I buy whole corn cobs and cut it up into little pieces then freeze them. I pull them out in the morning and they defrost quickly while I am making my breakfast. Then I add them to my birds morning fruit bowl. Mine get passionfruit, apple, orange, corn and strawberries and seasonally guava and lilly pilly. It took a bit of trial and error to find what they liked (for example they won't touch banana and if I were to add it to their bowl they wouldn't eat as much of the other fruits). Remember....no avocado!

OP
reinhardtyang

reinhardtyang

Banned
Banned
Jul 30, 2011
Shanghai, China
Parrots
Amazon 2
Gray 2
Palm 1
Thanks a lot for your help. There's no certified vet of bird in Shanghai, China. Only for dogs or cats.

the former owner told me that he likes nuts, seeds and apple. So I just use the same menu for him.

I'll try your advice of not putting my hands into the cage. I'll also try the corn for this cockatoo.
It's a very cute and cool boy. I really don't want to loose him.

OP
reinhardtyang

reinhardtyang

Banned
Banned
Jul 30, 2011
Shanghai, China
Parrots
Amazon 2
Gray 2
Palm 1
I'm not sure whether it's OK to settle this palm cockatoo with 1 amazon and 1 gray in one room. But in different cages.

He seems still quite nervous when I am close to the cage of cockatoo.

Have you tried pellets?? Do you know what his previous diet was??? He might be stressed over the change in environment. Although each bird is different I notice that alot of cockatoos like corn. I buy whole corn cobs and cut it up into little pieces then freeze them. I pull them out in the morning and they defrost quickly while I am making my breakfast. Then I add them to my birds morning fruit bowl. Mine get passionfruit, apple, orange, corn and strawberries and seasonally guava and lilly pilly. It took a bit of trial and error to find what they liked (for example they won't touch banana and if I were to add it to their bowl they wouldn't eat as much of the other fruits). Remember....no avocado!

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
I healty bird will sooner or later eate. I strongly recomend you to find a vet

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
Thanks a lot for your help. There's no certified vet of bird in Shanghai, China. Only for dogs or cats.

the former owner told me that he likes nuts, seeds and apple. So I just use the same menu for him.

I'll try your advice of not putting my hands into the cage. I'll also try the corn for this cockatoo.
It's a very cute and cool boy. I really don't want to loose him.

unless the bird is already ill, i think his just a little over whelmed with his new home, so just let him have his space for now

keep us up dated on his progress and hope all turns out well

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
There is no excuse for not having this bird checked out by a vet. What do other bird owners where you are doing for medical issues with birds? Some small animal vets will see birds. It is part of the responsibility you took on.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Do you have any idea how old your Palm Too is? It's cheek patch looks very pale to me & if not a young bird would need a much inproved diet. As we are not permitted to keep them in Australia I have no idea what to feed them but here is a link on the required diet that various Zoos use to feed their Black Palms. Hope it helps.

http://www.aszk.org.au/docs/palm_cockatoo_husbandry_manual.pdf

As already mentioned let the bird settle into it's new home. You must remember to earn your birds trust.

OP
reinhardtyang

reinhardtyang

Banned
Banned
Jul 30, 2011
Shanghai, China
Parrots
Amazon 2
Gray 2
Palm 1
Do you have any idea how old your Palm Too is? It's cheek patch looks very pale to me & if not a young bird would need a much inproved diet. As we are not permitted to keep them in Australia I have no idea what to feed them but here is a link on the required diet that various Zoos use to feed their Black Palms. Hope it helps.

http://www.aszk.org.au/docs/palm_cockatoo_husbandry_manual.pdf

As already mentioned let the bird settle into it's new home. You must remember to earn your birds trust.

Hi Pedro,
This document is GREAT. I am checking the details of it. It's very useful.
Thanks a lot:灰色:

OP
reinhardtyang

reinhardtyang

Banned
Banned
Jul 30, 2011
Shanghai, China
Parrots
Amazon 2
Gray 2
Palm 1
There is no excuse for not having this bird checked out by a vet. What do other bird owners where you are doing for medical issues with birds? Some small animal vets will see birds. It is part of the responsibility you took on.

Sigh, in China, there's no bird vet here. I am turning to the help of some one who had palm parrots here.

But your suggestion is very helpful for me.

OP
reinhardtyang

reinhardtyang

Banned
Banned
Jul 30, 2011
Shanghai, China
Parrots
Amazon 2
Gray 2
Palm 1
Alot of wise people have gave great advice hope your problem gets resolved(=

Yes. There's a lot of wise masters here. I am really grateful.
I am trying the way you suggested.

Will update you later if things turn better.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
I think we all need to be a bit more understanding. Not every culture has avian vets. So lets say they took to the bird to their local vet, who is much like the vet I have down the road, who is my go to guy for my dogs, probably wouldn't even see my parrots because he doesn't know anything about them and wouldn't want to make a situation worse. They won't even clip nails.

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
Ive always wanted to own a palm but I know the cost would be to much. They have a very different diet and the cost can be high. Alot of their favorite foods are not availiable to me except for online. They need dark greens & veg like kale and orange veg like carrots and peppers. They love the heavy nuts like brazil, pine, and Kamani and pandanus nuts are a favorite. Also grains and pastas should be offered often. If the bird is still having problems showing interest in eating after you tried all the usual tricks, like eating with him and in front of him I would call a zoo. Many zoos house this spieces and someone can suggest ideas.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I know you said he was nervous, can you handle him at all??? You need to keep this one away from your other birds right now to quarantine to make sure he isn't sick with something. Is he drinking water at all??? What type of nuts are you feeding him? IF your able to hold him, best to check his breast bone area making sure he's not loosing weight. You may have to resort to handfeeding just in case. When I say handfeeding, it means you have to buy the formula specifically for birds. I'm sure there's other bird owners in your area, have you tried finding someone in your area? Have you tried offering him fruits and veggies? There's specific veggies and fruits you feed, some you can not! You must do your research on what you can feed. Cockatoos can be pretty shy, but since you need to quarantine anyway, having him in a separate room by himself may help, try to leave some music on in the room for him to listen to.

Sn4pp3r

Jul 19, 2011
Jakarta
Parrots
Dyh,Bf,Yc,Grey,GB and etc

Sigh, in China, there's no bird vet here. I am turning to the help of some one who had palm parrots here.

But your suggestion is very helpful for me.

Agreed with you, in my country (Jakarta) i also can't find any vet can handle the aves. What a dissapointed issue as my blue front has a swollem eye.
i am advised to give him a eye drops by vet who normally handle dog and cat.
As i known, palm likes to eat any nuts and sunflower seed or u can give him a corn

Last edited:
OP
reinhardtyang

reinhardtyang

Banned
Banned
Jul 30, 2011
Shanghai, China
Parrots
Amazon 2
Gray 2
Palm 1
I think we all need to be a bit more understanding. Not every culture has avian vets. So lets say they took to the bird to their local vet, who is much like the vet I have down the road, who is my go to guy for my dogs, probably wouldn't even see my parrots because he doesn't know anything about them and wouldn't want to make a situation worse. They won't even clip nails.

Thanks for your understanding. I am very grateful.
We are coming from different country, different culture. But we have the same heart, the heart to love bird, and the the lovely world.

Netty

Jul 30, 2011
GTA ontario
Parrots
none yet. have owned avians in the past
JUST A TIP: If you are in a country that doesn't have avian vets, Call the Zoo that is closest to you. they generally have vets there and sometimes are willing to see birds that are owned when that kind of vet isn't available in your area.

Here in Canada there is one vet that has his own business that takes primates BUT if you call one of the zoo's they will generally see them.

Your and your birds best bet is to call the closet zoo that has parrots and ask.

OP
reinhardtyang

reinhardtyang

Banned
Banned
Jul 30, 2011
Shanghai, China
Parrots
Amazon 2
Gray 2
Palm 1
JUST A TIP: If you are in a country that doesn't have avian vets, Call the Zoo that is closest to you. they generally have vets there and sometimes are willing to see birds that are owned when that kind of vet isn't available in your area.

Here in Canada there is one vet that has his own business that takes primates BUT if you call one of the zoo's they will generally see them.

Your and your birds best bet is to call the closet zoo that has parrots and ask.

Thanks for your advice. let me try.

Most Reactions

Latest posts