help naughty cockatiel :/

crismeza

Sep 23, 2012
So my cockatiel is very naughty ( i hope thats the right word) he bites everything i have on my hand or near me, he follows it and tries to bite it, and always wants to be out of his cage, he whistles and flaps his wings ( i let him out when he gets quiet) and he hisses me when i try to pet him, but he does step up on my finger and hand whenever i want and he stays in my shoulders.
He never bit me hard like he bites his toys, when i close my hand to him he just hits its beak on my hand i dont know what does that mean.. a fail bite or what xd.
My question... Is that normal for a new cockatiel? he has been with me 3 weeks i dont want to have an angry and selfish bird :(

Help please. and thanks

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
From the sounds of it, he's not enjoying all the all of the interaction with you, and he's showing his displeasure in the only way he knows how... by hissing and mock biting. He probably doesn't trust you to pet him yet, so give him more time to learn to trust you. Use millet as a reward for doing good things that you want, and try not to upset him or stress him out. Positive experiences lead to more good behaviors!

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I agree with MonicaMc, hissing means he doesn't like what's happening and is showing agression and displeasure . Try working on him relating you with treats and good things, which means that when he isn't biting you or doing somthing bad on your shoulder give him some millet or his favorite treat.

OP
C

crismeza

Sep 23, 2012
ohh thanks ill try that, today he's being a lovely bird he plays with his toys then comes to my shoulder and sit there, he hasn't hissed at me once today, i hope we are bonding xd..

another thing the millet i have are seeds i can't find millet sprays in my country :S anyone got ideas to "glue" the millet on a stick or something to use it as a treat i mean glue like the fruit sticks

PS: excuse my grammar :(

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
You could.... feed by hand?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I've most often fed by hand, and only a few times used millet to persuade them. This works from my tamest tiel down to my wildest who has no interest in humans and tends to be very flighty if I get too close to him. I'll include a few photos with a short history.

Sunshine came with her family (parents and brother) and was probably hand raised but not handled much in who knows how many years, so she had some interest in humans but not enough to really want to hang out with me. I was able to get 5, non-tamed, flighted budgies, all adults, to eat from my hands, so I assume this is how the behavior from her started. Sunshine had landed on me one morning when I was refilling the food bowls, but she landed on my back, so I couldn't see who it was, and had assumed it was Casey, my tiel, even though weight seemed off. She took off a second later, and that's when I turned my head and realized it wasn't Casey.

It took a couple of weeks of Sunshine following me around and landing on me a second time before it finally "clicked". I offered her food by hand, which took time for her to get accustomed to coming to me, but she got there! First vid shows after she became comfortable with this behavior.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q88bN30qOjo]Sunshine in the Morning - YouTube[/ame]

Next couple of vids show Faye. She had had at least 3 homes prior to mine and I'm sure she wasn't handled in the last two. She used to have a mate, but he died in the previous home (wont even get into that story). I don't know if she was hand raised or parent raised, but she's a sweet tiel, personality wise. She saw me feeding Sunshine (prior to finding her another home), and wanted to join in. First video shows you how unsure she is, and she is by no means being forced to eat from my hand! There's food in the dishes behind her.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9w9w8nMRmw]Hesitant Faye - YouTube[/ame]

Same tiel, different food! First video, I had seeds. This video, I have pellets (Faye has always been good about eating pellets, even though she came to me on a seed only diet). You can see just how much more confident she is in herself and how comfortable she has gotten with me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH9ZWxhCSAE]Not So Hesitant Faye - YouTube[/ame]

And this last video shows Tomi Girl - tame-ish, Pistachio (wild tiel, plucked head), then Casey, tame girl.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjKmHswgiHs]Cockatiel Feeding - April 24th - YouTube[/ame]

OP
C

crismeza

Sep 23, 2012
Thanks Monica for your post, we are really making good progress, he does really wants to be with me but weirdly XD he lkes to be in my shoulder and i handfeed him

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
All birds do that LOL when they first do it your touched and you could feel they love you, then before you know it you will go crazy . My parakeets love being on my shoulder so much that when I go to the bathroom they won't come off my shoulder! Just keep on doing what your doing. If you need ANY training help just send me a PM

OP
C

crismeza

Sep 23, 2012
haha thanks guys for the answers last night i take him to my living room he was all shy and scared then he started to play, so i left him on a table and as soon as he realized that i wasnt there he started to call when he saw me he came flying to me but on my head then going down to my shoulder xD im working on it xd

hahah i got him from a breeder but she does not hand feed them, she let the parents take care of the babies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts