Help Needed - Rosie's beak hurts

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
Hi Everyone,

Rosie been trying to fly in the recent weeks and the results have not been wonderful. My poor baby hurt herself, twice in two days.

Incident One: Two days ago she chipped her bottom beak. A pretty good chunk, it looks like a kid missing one of their bottom teeth. Not sure how she did it, possibly she bit down on it? It bled, so I stopped the bleeding, but she cried on my chest for about 45 minutes. Called the bird store and vet. Vet thought she didn't need to come in and I should give her soft food and no nuts for a few days. Also said to encourage her to fly in safe conditions and try not to allow her to fly on her own to avoid accidents. (they really don't want me to clip her)

My poor Rosie was in obvious discomfort until yesterday afternoon when she started acting like herself again.

Incident Two: She was sitting on her tree around dinnertime last night. I got up and walked across the room and she flew after me and landed in a slight crash. Not terrible and no blood. But she seems to have chipped the tip of her upper beak. She is in obvious pain and I just don't know what to do to help her. Is there anything I can do to help with her discomfort?

I had decided to bring her to get clipped this week since her wingspan is so big and there isn't really anywhere she can fly well except my family room/kitchen. Since all of this, I want to get it done ASAP. I am going to bring her in to Bird Paradise first thing this morning, b/c I just don't think my poor girl can handle any more incidents.

I am just a wreck over this and she is not much better. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
JMO but don't clip her. She still needs plenty of practice to master flying and will be a better bird in the long run if she does. What I would do is pad the areas where she is landing. If you have wood or tile floors I would cover them with blankets, towels, clothes..whatever it takes to make for a soft landing for now.

I hope Rosie is feeling better today. I would keep her in my arms, in her cage or otherwise somewhat controlled for a few days to give the beak some time to grow out beyond the damage which sounds like it is sensitive. Then I would let her resume her lessons.

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Jewels-peachface lovebird
Ivy- budgie
I agree with Peeker, now that she's trying so hard to fly she probably won't stop even after she's clipped. Since she's already pretty clumsy fully flighted she may hit the ground even harder once clipped which can result in worse injuries.

Good luck!!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Learning how to fly is like a baby learning how to walk... there's going to be bumps and bruises! If you help them through it, they will learn how to control where they fly and how they fly! They can also learn how to control their landings!

Keep up with the soft foods! Sprouted seeds, sprouted/cooked healthy legumes and grains, steamed vegetables, fruits, etc.

OP
kendrafitz

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Thank you everyone and thank you for the links, Wendy.

I can't get a pic of her beak right now b/c she is just so miserable and doesn't want me to get near it. She isn't really eating, I tried rice, pasta, applesauce, apple, her mash and mac & cheese. She had a few bites of mac and cheese (which I know is not a good meal, but my son had it for lunch and I am getting desperate). She maybe had 2 or 3 noodles. Now she had a cheese crust on her beak and she doesn't want me to clean her beak and doesn't seem to want to really drink. I think the tip is sore when the water touches it? She wants to be with me but i/o wanting to sit on me or cuddle, she prefers to sit on her tree or next to me on the couch.

I brought her to bird paradise and had her clipped this morning. I was just so worried that she would do more damage to herself if I didn't. The employees didn't seem to think her beak was too bad, which made me feel a bit better. She is just so quiet and sad and obviously uncomfortable.

Thanks again for the replies. I am hoping tomorrow she will feel more like herself.

OP
kendrafitz

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Oh Wendy, I just realized I didn't answer your question. I called and they had Stephen, his assistant call me back. He felt that since she wasn't bleeding, she didn't need to be seen. He said bumps and bruises are normal. Since she is big, the bumps/bruises are a bit bigger. :( I guess if she isn't better tomorrow I will give them a call again. I think the only thing they may be able to do is file her lower beak so that the chip is gone. If I can I will post a pic tomorrow if she is feeling better.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Kendra, if you are really worried about her not eating, you can offer her some hand rearing formula. I'm sure she remembers how easy it was when you raised her. :)

Please keep us updated. I hope for a speedy recovery!

Hugs to both you and poor Rosie!

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Everyone is assuming this is related to learning to fly. If it were me I would NOT assume that first. Your bird may be experiencing underlying health problems which SHOW themselves in poor flight control. Vet visit first, assumptions later.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Kendra, how is Rosie today? IF she's up already. Mine are still sleeping. Wake up call here is at 8AM sharp. :)

I hope she had a good sleep and that she's feeling better today. :)

Joshuwaaa

Nov 11, 2012
England
Hey, hope you and Rosie are okay. Accidents happen, your doing a great job cuddling and phoning around for possible help.

Hope she feels better, thoughts are with you guys

OP
kendrafitz

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Thanks again for the replies and concern.

She was up with us at 7 am, yelling for me as I came down the stairs. Which is her usual routine, so I was happy. I fed her some cream of wheat through the side of her beak. She made some handfeeding motions, so if she still has problems eating, I think I may try that. The tip of her beak is still sore, she is using the top of her beak, near her nasal holes to check things out instead of her tongue/tip of beak.

Here are a couple pics of her. One is a close up of the chunk taken out of the bottom of her beak. I can't get the cheese/pasta sauce off since she really doesn't want me to mess with her beak at all.

Attachments

• beak.jpg
    beak.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 279
  • macaronibeak.jpg
    macaronibeak.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 306

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh the SWEET girl!!!! Poor Rosie!!! I can definitely clearly see where she knocked off some of her lower beak and I see the upper beak damage, too. :( It must be hurting her quite a bit!

So glad she was hollering for you this morning. :)

She WILL heal, no doubt in my mind, but it may be painful for her for a few days until the nerve endings heal over. Hugs to both you and Rosie!!!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Thanks again for the replies and concern.

She was up with us at 7 am, yelling for me as I came down the stairs. Which is her usual routine, so I was happy. I fed her some cream of wheat through the side of her beak. She made some handfeeding motions, so if she still has problems eating, I think I may try that. The tip of her beak is still sore, she is using the top of her beak, near her nasal holes to check things out instead of her tongue/tip of beak.

Here are a couple pics of her. One is a close up of the chunk taken out of the bottom of her beak. I can't get the cheese/pasta sauce off since she really doesn't want me to mess with her beak at all.

Oh that looks so so sore poor Rosie
Going to quite a tough time now but you are taking great care of her
Are you able to spray or mist her beak at all, just a thought

Mishka and myself sends lots of kisses X X

:grey:

OP
kendrafitz

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Thank you Mishka & Antoinette! I hadn't thought of misting. I will try that. She has been napping alot which is not like her and she is napping now. When she wakes up I will try misting her beak.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
Poor baby girl, you may also want to try oatmeal or mashed sweet potatoes

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It looks like she'll be fine! Hope she continues to improve each day!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Oh poor baby....I hope she feels better soon!!!! And yes I agree on handfeeding her if she doesn't want to eat.

OP
kendrafitz

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie is doing much, much better! I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and support. I really appreciate it!

Most Reactions