Help picking a new parrot (maybe)

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Hi guys, recently I was offered a newly weaned sun conure with a twisted foot (he's was born that way, but other than that he is completely healthy). At the store, they usually go for 500, but I can have him for 200 because of his foot. I would love another parrot and a sun conure could get along with blackjack, my nanday. However, my dad said no, but my mom is on board. She said another parrot could be a graduation or birthday present. So it could go either way. Honestly, I wanted a mini macaw for my next bird. Noise is barely an issue, and I think I could handle one at this point. I would like a noble macaw or a yellow collared macaw. I played with both at the store, but the noble seems more realistic. Price isn't that big of a deal, I'm willing to save up for the right bird. If I can get another bird, do you think I should get the sun conure or look into a mini macaw?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If you are set on a mini-macaw, I would suggest waiting for that!

You can buy healthy sun conures from breeders for $200 at the low end... so it's not necessarily a good deal, unless you actually form a close bond with this bird with the bad foot. Being that he has foot issues, it would also be recommended to leave him flighted so that he can get around easier.

DeeNTheChillas

Jul 18, 2013
Western NY
Parrots
Will be adding a parrot when the right one finds me.
Wait for what your heart is set on - I realized that is what I need to do. It's good advice.

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Thanks guys :) I honestly want a mini macaw, but I think I have a better chance getting the sun conure. My mom feels bad for him and he's the reason I even have a chance at getting another bird. Also I think the owner wants me to get the conure lol, but I'm sure he'd still sell me a mini macaw. From what I hear, noble macaws are sweet, intelligent and good talkers. I have heard they are playful and affectionate but still gave the bossy macaw personality. As for as yellow collared macaws go, I heard they are gentle and affectionate, but can be one person birds and a little temperamental. I also read that both can be nippy,but I don't really see this as an issue. I think that nippiness can be managed and discouraged with training. I would love to hear some personal experience of these macaws as pets :0)

Most Reactions

Latest posts