ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Same her with the ringnecks: they are becomming pests-- but we've let the original small birds been eaten by our hordes of cats, turned the gardens (ex-nestinggrounds) into parking spaces (or made them look like one) and now we have this incredible succesfull parakeets/ parrots flying around succesfully avoiding the cats and competing with the smaller corvids ... what were we expecting them to do?

No idea what the local/national rules are about those- I have never bothered to find out, because, as we find here: the rules change so much and so fast no-one can keep up anymore...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
This sux….:( I wish the OP would respond!

I do know there is a "wild" bunch of Quackers in The Bronx..I actually saw a YT vid of some guy who will take groups of people around to show them where the little green devils live and play...and poop. :rolleyes:

Jim

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Again, not entirely correct at all...I own a Quaker and live in PA, but I have a permit that allows me to own her as a pet that is a source of income. And by "source of income" it can literally be $1 a year as long as it's documented. That's the loop-hole, and I'm positive that New Jersey has the same law, it's fine with the same permit...I can't breed her, and I can't sell her in-state to anyone. It's the same loop-hole that allows people in certain states to own primates as pets. As long as you can prove "income" from the bird, then it's fine as long as you don't breed them...Oh, they have to be banded and registered too, their leg band number goes on the permit.

I know a few famous YouTuber's who use this loop-hole, one huge monkey one in i believe South Carolina...

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)

I do know there is a "wild" bunch of Quackers in The Bronx..I actually saw a YT vid of some guy who will take groups of people around to show them where the little green devils live and play...and poop. :rolleyes:
Jim
In the Bronx? Just take a ride down to a few cemeteries in Bridgeport and hang out for a while!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"

Jim
In the Bronx? Just take a ride down to a few cemeteries in Bridgeport and hang out for a while!

I've seen the Coney Island flock several times, along with the other Brooklyn flock that lives around that huge church...Their "housing developments" are amazing!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
They are in Rockaway beach in Bew York as well!

Really? I didn't know there was a Rockaway Beach flock! I love Rockaway Beach, I usually drive-up to Long Island early in the morning on Saturdays in the summer, and spend the mornings and lunch in Long Beach, then drive right down to Rockaway Beach and spend the afternoon, then end the evening at Coney Island and go and see a band at a club in Brooklyn. it's a great summer day!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Well I lived there 12 years ago and there was, it was by a dinner in getting utilities pole. I got to see them in the snow just crazy!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
It is amazing that they can live and thrive in this climate.

To add on the PA/NJ ownership thing, every other state surrounding us has changed their laws regarding Quakers, why PA and NJ haven't I'll never know, though PA is actually probably going to pass a bill to allow Quakers, Hedgehogs, and Sugar Gliders next year; it was supposed to pass this year but it takes forever...PA is one of the strictest states when it comes to pets, only CA is worse...I found out about owning a Quaker, a Hedgehog, a Sugar Glider, or any Primate here by claiming them as a "source of income" years ago through the Rescue, and then learned it wasn't an expensive permit, so I drove to Harrisburg to apply, then had to take her to Scranton within 30 days of owning her for a health exam, photos, etc. It was a process, but it was worth it...Now after doing all of this every year because it has to be renewed, next year they'll be legal to own as pets anyway, lol...And PA doesn't have ANY wild Quaker colonies that I'm aware of, so why they are illegal here but legal in New York where they are all over the place is beyond me...

I know someone who pays huge money every year for the same type of permit to own a Capuchin Monkey, but he loves his monkey so he pays it...

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Getting back on track with the OP's post here, Is there any update on this Quaker Parrot?

****To the OP: I just got my car back today, and I live only 4 hours from Yonkers, and have been there several times so I know how to get there...And I'd love to give this Quaker a loving home if you still have him...I have had my female blue Quaker parrot for over 3 years now, since she was 12 weeks old (Ironically I got her from a breeder on Long Island)...So I have lots of Quaker experience, and would like to help...

Let us all know what's going on here with the Quaker please...If you've already taken her somewhere or given her to someone else that's fine, just let us know.

KeirstynA

Mar 26, 2020
Media
I didn't think that Quakers were illegal in NJ any longer as long as you get a permit; they are now legal to own in New York, Maryland, Delaware, and even Pennsylvania made them legal to own with "restrictions" last year, but I was under the impression that they have been legal to own in New Jersey for quite some time with the proper permit, OR if you can prove that you make even a small bit of income from your Quaker Parrot, such as from an occasional YouTube video...

Do you have the source for Pennsylvania ownership with restrictions? It would be very helpful to me as I’ll be attending college in PA. Thank you!:whiteblue:

KeirstynA

Mar 26, 2020
Media
Again, not entirely correct at all...I own a Quaker and live in PA, but I have a permit that allows me to own her as a pet that is a source of income. And by "source of income" it can literally be $1 a year as long as it's documented. That's the loop-hole, and I'm positive that New Jersey has the same law, it's fine with the same permit...I can't breed her, and I can't sell her in-state to anyone. It's the same loop-hole that allows people in certain states to own primates as pets. As long as you can prove "income" from the bird, then it's fine as long as you don't breed them...Oh, they have to be banded and registered too, their leg band number goes on the permit.

I know a few famous YouTuber's who use this loop-hole, one huge monkey one in i believe South Carolina...

How can I obtain this permit? I’ll be attending college in PA and this would be really helpful! Thank you!

Most Reactions