Help us find another fid...

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Despite our recent loss of Jackie, hubby and I want to start looking into getting another fid. Don't get me wrong- I'm heartbroken over losing Jackie so suddenly, but our home feels so empty and quiet and the kind of love we had with him was infectious and we can't go without it. We need another parrot to love. Hubby is set on getting a baby though.... I'm open to any species, but we plan to reuse Jackie's Cal Cage.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Well you know me, I'm partial to amazons.
My hubby recently met a mini macaw that he likes, but he's in a permanent sanctuary so we can't get him.
It's great that hubby is on board with you and your looking and doing some research.

What traits do you want in a parrot given the chance to choose?
I know you got the care, time and feeding down.:)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I think having another bird will help heal your heart, in no way are you replacing Jackie :) Are you interested in another amazon? I've loved all the lilac crowned amazons I've met, and they are so beautiful. I've also heard great things about Cape parrots, and lots of people love eclectus and the beautiful Pionus parrots.

So much to pick from, you could go with anything that fits your cage size and how much time you will have.

Here's two great, although high maintenance, species that I can highly recommend ;)

tumblr_ms4mceg6pr1r96qxho1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Sandy- I was looking at the Exotic Bird of Oregon's site and saw Orion- a severe Mac and I just love his face I wanna squeeze him!! But I read they're named severe for a reason lol
Yes, I have life with a crazy, moody zon under my belt but I'm not ready for full crazy just yet LOL So I guess that would rule out cockatoos? ;)

Copper/Ashley- haha!! I love Rosie and Kenji!! :) Ive always had a thing for greys.

I am not opposed to another amazon, and have heard lilac crowns are sweethearts and dare I say quiet?? Not sure about that last bit lol an amazon- quiet?! Right. 😒

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
Henpecked always said Panama amazons are the best. Also heard great things about pionus, amazons little cousin.

Our little Brown headed African is a sweatheart, was really timid at first but is completely coming out of his shell now.

Also I would love a mealy amazon, I hear they are gentle giants!!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Henpecked always said Panama amazons are the best. Also heard great things about pionus, amazons little cousin.

Our little Brown headed African is a sweatheart, was really timid at first but is completely coming out of his shell now.

Also I would love a mealy amazon, I hear they are gentle giants!!

Basically I have $1000 to buy the right fid, and I'm sure if it were a tad higher that would be ok too. Hubby just wants me to be happy and whatever it takes (within reason).

Btw- I saw a SIXTY ONE yr old mealy named Willy online yesterday, but I don't think it would be a good match...he sounds like he needs a quiet slow-paced home and with a toddler and other animals, ours is not that lol

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
AWWW

I wish I could get Willy, getting a bird across the border though is almost next to impossible.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
What traits do you want in a parrot given the chance to choose?
I know you got the care, time and feeding down.:)

Traits? Hmmm... Playful, fun, outgoing, talkative, family oriented... And hubby says he wants one that's blue in color lol uhhh ok dear...

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Blue and Gold Macaw LOL

LOL well he said "like Rio" not sure he understands that Rio is a macaw and their size. 😳
I did have a dream a while back I had 2 macs.. A B&G and a greenwing named scarlett, and Jackie was not in my dream.. Soooo.... Maybe? Lol

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Do you think you may get one of those blue fronts? They're located in Oregon lol If so let us know

What ever you end up getting you will be be so happy to have them in your life, it's hard not to love a bird when your a bird person :heart:

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Do you think you may get one of those blue fronts? They're located in Oregon lol If so let us know

What ever you end up getting you will be be so happy to have them in your life, it's hard not to love a bird when your a bird person :heart:

I'm not sure yet... I'm still looking. The baby BFA is in Vale which is 6.5 hours away from us lol

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Apparently I have to use movie references when talking to hubby about certain birds LOL
B&G Mac- the one in pirates of the caribbean!!! *face palm*

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Would you be opposed to having a baby shipped? Fully weaned, of course. ;)

IME BFA are a whole lot of fun, about the same temperament as DYH and YN. Sure, there is the puberty thingy...but if you socialize the baby, things should sail quite smoothly. :)

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
BFA,

One of the hot 3 so they are called, they can be very hormonal during puberty and mating season. Quite honestly though even though they are known for it, it depends on the bird, their training and your knowledge in handling it.

Most Reactions