Help us find another fid...

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
@noblemacaw- do you have any experience with severes? Or do you have any opinions about them?

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Don't be afraid of shipping [so much easier than I thought] . I started with a "hot zon" and was so glad I did!! Now Im partial to them. Get what you want .Don't be intimidated by what you read .Jackie wasn't a easy experience ,and you did well. Actually got you ready for anything!!! ;) I love my Blue frnt

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Getwozzy, I can't recommend Alexandrines highly enough. I suppose the best thing I like about them is that they're GREEN (which happens to be my favourite colour). But they're also clever and loving and hilarious!

I can also recommend Galahs. Dommie will always be a damaged personality, but my previous Galah, Aloysius, was everything you could want in a bird. Galahs are a lot more cuddly than the Beaks and they're much more likely to want time on the floor (the Beaks *never* descend to floor level). In my experience, Galahs don't shriek all that often and when they do, it's a kinda nice sound: cheerful, y'know?

Whichever bird you choose, I'm sure it will respond to all the love you have to give it. What a fitting memorial to Jackie! :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
You've been trained by a zon, you can handle anything now. get an older rehome hen zon that needs a good home.Foster one , see how it goes. Jackie prepared you for something good like that. Don't forget the things he taught you.Sorry, just my .02 worth.

Last edited:
OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
You've been trained by a zon, you can handle anything now. get an older rehome hen zon that needs a good home.

I would, believe me- I would love to give an older zon a home. But. Hubby will only get a baby.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Here's the cage I have to work with:

The enclosure measurements are:
23" deep, 32" wide, 29" tall

(please ignore the mess- it's in storage)
F35F2CF7-E4D4-419E-ABE1-6E2C332AB9ED-10187-0000060BD8BBA6B1_zps974af93e.jpg

I know an amazon will fit, but will a mini Mac? A galah?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
"Get a baby", that will work too. But you know i'm going to tell you,"Get a zon".

I don't want to lose you to the macaw section of the forum!!! Those guys are like the "dark side",,, members go there and never come back.

Last edited:

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
I have 2 BFA's Parker is almost 1.5 and charlie is between 15-20...night and day difference...Parker is my first parrot and he can be quite a character...he is funny and loud and talks and screams and plays and gets super excited very easy He is very smart although Charlie has him beat in that area...Charlie is very calm and quiet she doesn't talk or play that much she just kinda exists...I love them both but they are definitely night and day

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
No baby BFA, But maybe YNA,DYH,OWA come spring.Only BFA is an older rehome male about 20yrs and kind of "cranky".A work in progress, LOL. PS he might like you but he doesn't like me, ouch, i was changing perches today.

Last edited:
OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
No baby BFA, But maybe YNA,DYH,OWA come spring.Only BFA is an older rehome male about 20yrs and kind of "cranky".A work in progress, LOL. PS he might like you but he doesn't like me, ouch, i was changing perches today.

Aww bummer 😞 I can't go that long without parrot love- that's just asking for a bought of depression! (for me at least)

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I have 2 BFA's Parker is almost 1.5 and charlie is between 15-20...night and day difference...Parker is my first parrot and he can be quite a character...he is funny and loud and talks and screams and plays and gets super excited very easy He is very smart although Charlie has him beat in that area...Charlie is very calm and quiet she doesn't talk or play that much she just kinda exists...I love them both but they are definitely night and day

Wow! That's so funny they're night and day like that!! Thanks for the BFA input- I have a couple babies on my radar, but I'm not done researching others...

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Ok, the new top choice is *drum roll* a galah!! Totally no blue anywhere on that bird but it seems hubby is in love. Lol

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
This afternoon, my sister, two nieces and great nephew came to visit. The Beaks happened to be out of their cage and shrieking (we'd just had bath time). Dommie just sat there. The Beaks had to be wrangled back into their cage (shrieking) because they tend to 'decorate' people in a disconcerting kind of way. Dommie just sat there. All throughout the conversation, we got an ongoing chorus of 'Hello! Hello. Helloooo. Hello!!! HELLO!!!!' Dommie just sat there.

After everyone had gone, the Beaks had to come shrieking out of their cage. Dommie humbly heaved himelf onto my hand and just sat there while I scratched his pretty head. After he had bitten me (no blood this time! - progress!), he just sat there, snuggling his pretty head into the front of my shirt.

I *love* my Beaks, but there's a side to Dommie which is just irresistible as well.

Points to consider: Galahs aren't nearly as high-maintenance as the larger cockies. Their bills are relatively small - compared to other cockies and the Beaks, Dom does minimal damage. He'd rather chomp on an egg carton than on furniture, for example. Being fairly small, Dom only requires a modest cage, while I've had to beggar myself to get a massive structure to put the Beaks in. As I mentioned before, Galahs are a more sedentary bird than many other types. I believe they're a lot happier climbing and swinging than they are flying. My Beaks need to fly *a lot* every day or they get miserable.

Finally, I hand-raised my Aloysius virtually from the egg and he was just a little pink and grey ball of joy. He never bit anyone, never got sick and never caused anyone a moment's worry. I've never clapped eyes on an Amazon in real life, so I can't compare the two for you. All I can say is, Galahs ROCK! :D

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Ok, the new top choice is *drum roll* a galah!! Totally no blue anywhere on that bird but it seems hubby is in love. Lol
I'm secretly cheering inside right now. I already told you in the PM, but your husband has good taste. But then, I'm terribly biased lol

Here's a few pics for your hubby to show how awesome they are :heart:

They have adorable cheek feathers, and are the softest parrot you will ever touch

fly_free_by_featheredsamurai-d6k0kki.jpg

And impressively HUGE raptor like wings

tumblr_mg0jc7MuZh1rs86coo1_1280.jpg

If socialized well they love to go out and about, why? Because they love to meet new people.

tumblr_mr6ww5LWxi1r96qxho2_1280.jpg

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
Getwozzy, I want you to know that your baby's passing has really affected me. I'm so sorry that you have lost such a special companion, and can't imagine what you're going through.

I hope that you will soon find another special baby with whom you can share your love.

Recently I brought an almost 6 month old Panama Amazon into our family. At first Harley was very shy and extremely cautious when presented with anything new, to the point where he would try to bite anyone who would attempt to touch him. That was 17 days ago. Now Harley is an amazing member of our family. He is funny, smart, loving and a joy to be around.

Henpecked recommended the Pan, and I'm so pleased that I followed his advice. I'd like to recommend that you consider a Panama Amazon.

My thoughts are with you, getwozzy, and I pray that you will find your next special bird very soon.

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Getwozzy, I also falsely believed that shipped birds came in the mail until I read this thread, lol.

I'm glad that you will be getting another parrot, earlier rather than later. It will help mend your heart a bit sooner, though there will always be a hole there from Jackie.

I'm kinda rooting for the zon team, lol. They sound like they're spicy, special birds.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
When I saw you would prefer a bird who loves to cuddle, go to everyone, etc, I honestly can't say that an Amazon would fit that criteria, unless you have one VERY special zon. Both of mine are well socialized and WILL go to other people, they better think twice about touching Sam. :54: He will sit pretty on your hand, and eyeball you the whole time, making sure you don't try any funny business with him, like get a quick "pat" in. ;)

I think a Galah would be a GREAT choice! (And this is coming from a zon person...go ahead and open up a can of whoop-a$$ on me now)

So of course I did some looking for you...check these out

Rose Breasted Cockatoo For Sale In IN :: BirdBreeders.com

Rose Breasted Cockatoo For Sale In FL :: BirdBreeders.com

Most Reactions

Latest posts