Help us find another fid...

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
LOL! My daughter's is the 8th and mine the 11th. Happy birthday to all of us in advance! :D

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Make a list, and do a little bit every day, that way you have something to look forward to each day. :)

That's a good idea! I was making a list of some bird stuff I need to get, because I also need to do some shopping for Quigley.
How should I clean the cage and junglegym?? I can have hubby power wash the cage and then wipe it with a solution-? But the jungle gym had brand new vet wrap all over it and hardly used- do I need to undo it all and redo the vet wrap? What about toys- how do I clean those?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Since Jackie wasn't sick, you don't have to go all crazy about cleaning and disinfecting. :) You can leave the vetwrap on the perches, the stuff isn't cheap. Unless there is poop build up on the toys, I think you can leave those, too.

Powerwashing the cage is a great idea, but again, since Jackie was a healthy bird, there really isn't anything to disinfect. :)

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Since Jackie wasn't sick, you don't have to go all crazy about cleaning and disinfecting. :) You can leave the vetwrap on the perches, the stuff isn't cheap. Unless there is poop build up on the toys, I think you can leave those, too.

Powerwashing the cage is a great idea, but again, since Jackie was a healthy bird, there really isn't anything to disinfect. :)

Ok, thanks for reassuring me- I kind of thought that but wasn't really sure if I needed to do all that or not.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Bird stuff shopping DONE!! Even Quigley got a whole slew of new stuff- dishes, perches, and toys!

Next I need to clear out the bird corner, have hubby power wash the cage and start setting it up 😄

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
So I've dragged everything BACK out of storage *sigh*...not only was it physically tasking but emotionally as well. Seeing that empty cage is just so sad. It's still hard to believe he's gone. 😓

But... Hubs is currently power washing it so then I can haul everything inside and start "decorating" for baby 😊

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I can only imagine how sad it must have made you when you saw Jackie's cage. :( HUGS to you! It WILL get better, I promise! Once you start filling up the cage, and as time goes by, you will feel less pain in your heart.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Well, I've got everything all set up- except there's a couple last things I need to finish and then I'll post pictures of this spoiled rotten baby's set up lol

It's kinda weird though- walking in the front door and seeing everything set up again, only empty 😞 but at the same time I'm excited because soon there's gonna be a pink ball of fluff using it all 😄. This baby doesn't know how freaking spoiled he's gonna be. Spoiled rotten. Lol

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I was in the same boat. After Mihijo died from his heart attack that day I cleaned the cage, tore it down and shoved it into storage. I did this the same day he died. Mihijo died in October.

In March/April a form member found a noble macaw that needed a home and directed me to the website. He was plucked and no one wanted him. He was in their rescue since 2009 and something told me to try to see if I could get approved to adopt him. Since the rescue was out of state and had a distance requirement I didn't think they would consider us.

In the end they not only considered us but approved for us to adopt the little unwanted Noble macaw. The rescue wanted pictures of the cage I planned to use for Julio so Lupe and I drove to the storage to "get" the cage out bring it home and set it up in my office.

After hauling all the pieces out and getting it all upstairs to the office we put it together and I just stood staring at it. We were very overjoyed we were getting Julio but after putting Mihjo's cage back together, taking pictures I could not help but just stare at it. Then I broke down and cried because there in front of me was Mihijo's cage, all shiny put together right in front of me and Mihijo was not in it.

The experience was extremely bittersweet but in the end it was theraputic to put that cage all back together and set it up for another parrot who needed it.

You will get to the point where you see the cage and it will not hurt. I bet you are so excited to bring home your baby RBC and looking forward to "bringing up baby". Believe after Valentino came home (two months after Mihijo passed) he helped heal my heart. Your baby will help heal yours too.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Do you have a name picked out yet? Do you know whether you're getting a boy or a girl? You may have posted that somewhere, if so, I'm sorry if I missed it. :eek:

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Do you have a name picked out yet? Do you know whether you're getting a boy or a girl? You may have posted that somewhere, if so, I'm sorry if I missed it. :eek:

Still no official name yet- hubby says he needs to see him/her in person to name it. Don't know if it's a boy or girl either- we're gonna have him/her DNA sexed at the first appointment though. If it's a girl I'm going with the name Cora- then we'll have Quigley and Cora ("Quigley Down Under" with Tom Sellick)... I don't have a good boy name though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts