Help!!!

NapeLover

Mar 12, 2020
Downingtown, PA
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazons
Hello fellow bird lovers! I am in desperate need of suggestions! My Yellow Nape Amazon got out of the house 2 days ago. I just found him today up in the evergreens to the side of my property. He seems ok and is talking to me but he is 40 feet up in the tree and probably scared to death to come down. I have put a cage near the trees with food:green::green: and water but so far nothing. I am very concerned since the temps were in the low 40’s last night PLEASE help!! How can I catch him? My other Napes have been calling to him but I can’t leave the screen door open too long... too cold outside. I’d appreciate any suggestions!!! Thank you! 🙏

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Does he know how to fly *down*? Many pet birds do not. Do you have a way to climb at least part way up the tree safely and try to talk him down? Is he bonded to you or another human? Another bird? Good luck, this can be such a scary situation!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forums.

It comes down to time and /or money at this point. As stated above, your Amazon is likely scared of flying down. So, until starvation forces a choice, getting your Amazon to fly down is very difficult.

TIME:
- If you haven't, set-out his cage in plain sight, do so. Once in place, assure that your Amazon see's you provide fresh dry food and water in the feed bowls. At or near the cage, call to your Parrot.

MONEY:
- Local Tree Service with a bucket truck... Note: You will be paying their daily rate! With you in the bucket with the operator, its a ride up to your Amazon and with good hope, your Amazon will be happy to see you and Step-Up! If not, well its going to take a bit longer...

Some Communities' Fire Departments 'may' help! Note: Their equipment and the what they wear may freak-out your Amazon. Or, your Amazon will be so happy to see you, that a Step-Up may happen as you approach. There is no assurance that your Fire Department will or can help.

Depending of the tree and your comfort level with heights, you can buy a forty-foot extension ladder and make your way up the tree.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
This is why its so important to encourage a home kept bird to fly down as much as possible.

Does he have favourite treets? rustle the package outside and make yummy sounds.... again food may well help him over come his fear.

good luck

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SO scary, but at the least you know where he is. Many parronts who experience escaped parrots first have to FIND them. Me, I would buy a extension ladder and get up to that branch like now. Small price to pay for getting your nape back!

Good Luck!!!

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I'm so sorry! Great advice given above!
How are you making out? Please give us an update!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
any favorite foods? Order a pizza maybe, both my birds knew on first glance what a pizza was. any house call signs like for my flock it's "come on" and "I love you". Both birds speak that in english.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Also ask neighbors for ladder......or call fire dept on non emergency number and ask....they are paid by your taxes.....they might like good publicity. they rescue kittens from trees I've heard from stories.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh. So scary! As mentioned birds can have a fear if flying down. Move out from the tree so you are at more if an angle to fly down. Good luck keep us posted!!!

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
ok, how is it goin? got anyone to climb the tree or supply equipment to get it down yet? jh

Most Reactions

Latest posts